Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail vs Matthew's Coaches

Options
  • 03-12-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

I've noticed the last year or so a lot of people have changes to Matthews coaches from the train What do you think is the better option for travelling to Dublin?

I think advantages of train are quicker than the bus,more comfortable, serves the southside of Dublin city.

I think advantages of bus is cheaper service,wifi on board,less delays than the train,more frequent services.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

For me not only is it cheaper but it means less walking to the train stations, if i was to take the train I would have to add 45-50 minutes to my journey time door to door, and about 80 minutes if i used Bus Eireann.

Plus the fact they you are not crammed in like sardines on the bus and are guaranteed a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

I got the Matthews bus once & I wasnt even allowed take my bottle of 7up on board with me. Hada leave it in a wee fridge at the front!!! Bit OTT in my opinon. Had to smuggle a bottle on, on the way home. Never again unless I was desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Switched from the trains to Matthews bus about 3 years ago - I couldn't take the overcrowding on the train any more.

I use the Bettystown service which is great, it's reliable (weather conditions permitting!), and much more comfortable than a stuffed train.

As Matthews had to curtail their bus services this week, I'm back on the train from Drogheda to city centre, and it reminds me of why I stopped using them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

calex71 wrote: »
    Plus the fact they you are not crammed in like sardines on the bus and are guaranteed a seat.

Sorry but this is utter BS. If the bus fills up, that's it. You're not getting on and you are stranded. No one can "guarantee you a seat". At least with the train there is standing room.

The train is more relaible as it isn't affected by traffic and doesn't let a bit of snow stop it. Not to mention the comfort of having a toilet on board.

Also I find Matthews Coaches extremely strict. I carried a newspaper onto the bus one day and the driver snapped at me "make sure you don't leave that behind" and gave me a dirty look. For having a bloody paper! Utter díckhead. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I live right beside the train station in Dundalk but i always take the bus - Matthews bus are very comfortable, never late and have a good wifi signal.

• Advertisement

cookies221 wrote: »
    Sorry but this is utter BS. If the bus fills up, that's it. You're not getting on and you are stranded. No one can "guarantee you a seat". At least with the train there is standing room.

The train is more relaible as it isn't affected by traffic and doesn't let a bit of snow stop it. Not to mention the comfort of having a toilet on board.

Also I find Matthews Coaches extremely strict. I carried a newspaper onto the bus one day and the driver snapped at me "make sure you don't leave that behind" and gave me a dirty look. For having a bloody paper! Utter díckhead. Never again.

Have you ever tried to get to the toilet on a crowded commuter train?! It can be so crowded around the loo that it's impossible to get into it :eek: And I recall being on trains where people went into the loo just to get some travelling space!!

I can understand where the driver is coming from with the newspaper - again, I've been on trains where there were lots of papers (mostly the free ones) just thrown around, all over the floor. I'm not suggesting for a minute that you'd do likewise, just pointing out that there's a reason why the Matthews buses are very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

gipi wrote: »
    I've been on trains where there were lots of papers (mostly the free ones) just thrown around, all over the floor.

+1 to that. The state of the trains by the time it terminates in Drogheda is just awful - it's like it was occupied by some slum dwellers, not educated Western Europeans. It's disappointing really!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

If Matthews Bus Fills up they have an extra bus on Standby.

Switched from the trains to Matthews bus about 3 years ago - I couldn't take the overcrowding on the train any more.

As Matthews had to curtail their bus services this week, I'm back on the train from Drogheda to city centre, and it reminds me of why I stopped using them!

I agree 100%. As Matthews wern't running this week I was forced to Use Irish Rail to get from Dublin to Dundalk. The Train was freezing, I had to stand for most of the journey and it cost me a shocking €21.50 for the single fair.
    On a Matthews Bus I am guaranteed a seat, The bus is always warm, the drivers are always very helpful and I can get a ten journey ticket for only €50.

I think advantages of train are quicker than the bus,more comfortable, serves the southside of Dublin.[/QUOTE]

On a good day, Using Matthews Direct Bus from Dundalk, It is actually quicker than the train. I have used this service on numerous occasions and it took just one hour to get to Parnell St.
    I always found that the trains get delayed for whatever reason coming from Belfast and then slows down and stops for a few minutes before reaching Connolly Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

radiofreak wrote: »
    I think advantages of train are quicker than the bus,more comfortable, serves the southside of Dublin.

On a good day, Using Matthews Direct Bus from Dundalk, It is actually quicker than the train. I have used this service on numerous occasions and it took just one hour to get to Parnell St.
    I always found that the trains get delayed for whatever reason coming from Belfast and then slows down and stops for a few minutes before reaching Connolly Station.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I suppose,the enterprise is usually an hour from Dundalk on a good day but like you said delays are common with that train,I work 10 mins away from pearse station so the train is the easiest for me,if I was to get matthews i'd need to get a dublin bus and then another walk so it's not worth it!

it cost me a shocking €21.50 for the single fair.

Absolutely ridiculous,I thought there was a special offer of 15 euro from Dundalk??!!

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous,I thought there was a special offer of 15 euro from Dundalk??!!

Yes, That's not a bad offer. €15 return from Dundalk. But it only applies if you travel From Dundalk.
    I was travelling from Connolly. I handed the cashier €15 for the single fare and nearly had a heart attack when she told me that it was €21.50.

Yes, That's not a bad offer. €15 return from Dundalk. But it only applies if you travel From Dundalk.
    I was travelling from Connolly. I handed the cashier €15 for the single fare and nearly had a heart attack when she told me that it was €21.50.

Unlucky there!! That happened me and a friend of mine once,it was some ridiculous overpriced offer and then we found out it was only 10 euro to newry.......handy!

Sorry but this is utter BS. If the bus fills up, that's it. You're not getting on and you are stranded.

I'm guessing you've never actually been in that situation with Matthews? As Radiofreak said above, they always have another bus ready to go if one fills up.

I love Matthews, to be honest. I've never had a bad experience with them.

The only upside to me, regardign train, is that you have a table you can use on a train carraige.

I've never come across a rude or in any way ignorant Matthews driver. They've always been excellent in my experience.

I've also never been told to put away or not bring on any food or drink (though I do understand why they would ask you to, depending on what it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

In Dundalk, Matthew's always have several back up coaches parked/on standby to the rear of the old Dundalk shopping centre.
    Excellent service and leaders in their field in this country. 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

As Radiofreak said above, they always have another bus ready to go if one fills up.

Hold on: are you saying that if bus number one fills up, they will bring around a second bus just for you? I wouldn't mind having my own private bus!

Hold on: are you saying that if bus number one fills up, they will bring around a second bus just for you? I wouldn't mind having my own private bus!

That's Matthews for you. :)

Though that said, when I've seen that situation before, where one bus was gonna be packed and the other practically empty, they just asked if anyone wanted to get on the other bus, so a lot of people changed over and both buses were half full, leaving plenty of space so people could have the two seats to themselves and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

My annual train ticket ran out in November, so I've started getting Matthews coaches again.
    The service itself is excellent; however maybe a few more IFSC direct buses wouldn’t go a stray in the mornings?
    Traffic on the M1 (Malahide Estuary) has been especially bad in the last couple of weeks also, which has been a bit of a turn-off. I’m hoping that this is not an ongoing thing or else I’ll be forced (regrettably) to go back on the trains.
    I need to drive to work a couple of times a week for shift reasons, so at the fact I can use the 5day return whenever I want is also a big bonus.
    Finally, after paying €1,900 (before tax) to C.I.E and being rewarded with constantly late trains, extra journey time, freezing trains, etc....I think it’s for a change! :rolleyes:

kormak,

The longer than usual tailbacks are due to the roadworks between J3 and J2 on the motorway. They're scheduled to last until Feb, hopefully things will start to move much easier after that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Trains:
    Crazily expensive.
    Have a habit of getting crazily full quite quickly, meaning no breathing room.
    Usually have puke or blood stains everywhere.

Bus:
    Picks up, literally, right outside my door.
    Have always had two seats to myself.
    Is far quicker.
    Is far cheaper.

I'll take the bus please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

kormak,

The longer than usual tailbacks are due to the roadworks between J3 and J2 on the motorway. They're scheduled to last until Feb, hopefully things will start to move much easier after that!

The roadworks don't reduce traffic lanes though? They're just widening the M1
    what they need is a bus lane from the Lissen Hall Roundabout onwards...
    we'll have to watch and wait how the extra lane works out... but after xmas I'm deffo going back on the trains.
    Left my house in Monasterboice this morning at 07.35, arrived into work in Ballsbridge @ 10am. Almost 2.5 hours is totally unacceptable!
    I know it's absolutely not the fault of Matthews Coaches, but this morning the M1 had a tailback of traffic from just after the Applegreen service station to the Airport!! that's almost a 9 mile tailback?!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

kormak wrote: »
    My annual train ticket ran out in November, so I've started getting Matthews coaches again.
    The service itself is excellent; however maybe a few more IFSC direct buses wouldn’t go a stray in the mornings?
    Traffic on the M1 (Malahide Estuary) has been especially bad in the last couple of weeks also, which has been a bit of a turn-off. I’m hoping that this is not an ongoing thing or else I’ll be forced (regrettably) to go back on the trains.
    I need to drive to work a couple of times a week for shift reasons, so at the fact I can use the 5day return whenever I want is also a big bonus.
    Finally, after paying €1,900 (before tax) to C.I.E and being rewarded with constantly late trains, extra journey time, freezing trains, etc....I think it’s for a change! :rolleyes:

Even just shifting the lanes temporarily slows down traffic massively though. Anyway, I'd say the roadworks will be done by about March and the extra lane should mean a clear path the whole way to the Port Tunnel. Also there'll be a good bit less traffic while the schools are off so that's one thing to look forward to about working around Christmas time. :pac:

Advertisement