Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pogues-Olympia 8th & 9th December

Options
  • 03-12-2010 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey guys,

I'm not too sure if there is already a thread on the pogues so apologies if this is in the wrong place!

They're scheduled to play in the Olympia on the 8th & 9th of this month.

Has anyone been before, what time do they play until?

Do you think there is a possibility that they could be cancelled due to the poor weather conditions?
    or on the other hand, they could be cancelled as they might not turn up?!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

ballygowan wrote: »

Do you think there is a possibility that they could be cancelled due to the poor weather conditions?
    or on the other hand, they could be cancelled as they might not turn up?!!:confused:

MCD have stated that there have been no gig cancellations, and it says on your ticket that the concert will go ahead, rain or shine (it doesn't mention snow, but ya know what they mean). =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Weather forecasts are suggesting it will have started to clear up by next Wednesday anyways.

Should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Thompson_2009

Hi mate. Im heading to this myself on Wednesday :) apparently its going to die down a bit over the next few days, so fingers crossed we'll be okay. Interpol we're on the Olympia this week despite the snow so Id say we'll be grand. Should be a cracking gig

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It won't be cancelled. For weather reasons. And it won't be cancelled cos they don't show up. I'm going myself and I seen them in the Olympia last year too.

Cracking gig altogether, Shane still has an amazing presence on atage, his singing is great and the pogues are just a band full of life, craic and seriously amazing music. If you're even half a pogues fan you will thoroughly enjoy the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ballygowan

Op here! Cheers for all the positive replies! :):)

Do they have a set list that they play each year or is it anything goes?!!

Getting excited now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Uriel. wrote: »
    It won't be cancelled. For weather reasons. And it won't be cancelled cos they don't show up. I'm going myself and I seen them in the Olympia last year too.

Cracking gig altogether, Shane still has an amazing presence on atage, his singing is great and the pogues are just a band full of life, craic and seriously amazing music. If you're even half a pogues fan you will thoroughly enjoy the gig.

his singing is great, tell me your joking..

he barley sings a word all he does is slur the whole song and has the rest of band carry him, he makes no sense when singing..

i have seen them live 5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Doubt it would be cancelled. I was at belle & sebastian on friday night and I was very surprised at how full it was. There were a few empty seats but not much more than I would usually expect at any gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

They are fantastic live, if there is any song in particular that you like, you can be pretty much sure they will play it, they have played the same encore for a number of years, they get better each year. They paly all the classics and sometimes play Kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

behan29 wrote: »
    They are fantastic live, if there is any song in particular that you like, you can be pretty much sure they will play it, they have played the same encore for a number of years, they get better each year. They paly all the classics and sometimes play Kitty

Great to know, I've never seen them before, really looking forward to Poor Paddy!!! I hope they play it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 davidmcginty

hi heading to the thurs gig and wondering where is ''the place to be'' before the gig? not familier with the city so any suggestions? thanks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

hi heading to the thurs gig and wondering where is ''the place to be'' before the gig? not familier with the city so any suggestions? thanks....

Brogans next door

Or O'Donoghues, though in the ice you might want to be closer.

http://www.odonoghues.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 osmund

Saw them in the RDS last year, an absolute pleasure, it was Shane Mc Gowan's birthday, possibly the only day he was sober so great gig. May be a stupid question, but is Shane Mc Gowan in The Pogues line up this time round as he formed a new band the Popes before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ballygowan

hi!

Unfortunately my tickets are seated. What are the chances of breaking into the standing section tomorrow night?

It was a seated ticket or nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

What are the chances of Fairytale of New York? I know they don't usually play it, but it is Christmas . . .

ballygowan wrote: »
    What are the chances of breaking into the standing section tomorrow night?
    Slim, people going to seats have to go in a totally separate door down the alley, they cannot let people down due to health & safety reasons.
    What are the chances of Fairytale of New York? I know they don't usually play it, but it is Christmas . . .
    100% certainty of them playing it, they always do any time I have seen them anyway, where did you hear they didn't!?

EDIT: searching this site it seems it is not played a lot, not sure if its correct, I have seen them play many times around christmas and they always do it, they get a female singer on, it has been Shanes mother or sister in the past.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-pogues-23d6dcbf.html?song=Fairytale+of+New+York

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

rubadub wrote: »
    Slim, people going to seats have to go in a totally separate door down the alley, they cannot let people down due to health & safety reasons.

100% certainty of them playing it, they always do any time I have seen them anyway, where did you hear they didn't!?

EDIT: searching this site it seems it is not played a lot, not sure if its correct, I have seen them play many times around christmas and they always do it, they get a female singer on, it has been Shanes mother or sister in the past.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-pogues-23d6dcbf.html?song=Fairytale+of+New+York

Always played during their December gigs.... last song of the night, usually with Fiesta before hand and Fairytale, as would be expected has a guest female singer.

Jem Finers daughter sang it the last few years and will be repeating the feat this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PaulC1986

The Pogues are savage live, see them in the RDS twice. hard to beat the craic and atmosphere at their gigs. dont be expecting a singing masterpiece from shane, but whether he's zonked out of it or not it will be worth it!! would love to be going myself. they usually play for and hour and a half or so i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Reviews from last night?

Going on Saturday in Kerry and quite tempted to go tonight aswell, last year in the Olympia was probably the best gig of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Great Gig.

Shane's singing was better than i expected it to be, though obviously a long way from perfect, or even coherent. He kept it relatively together for most of the gig, apart from The Band Played Waltzing Matilda, which he kept forgetting the words to and sang it way out of order.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyed it. The band were fantastic, the crowd were mental.

Highlights were Body of an American & Sickbed of Cuchullain, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Philo999

Savage gig last night.
    Shane put in a good performance, better than Ive seen him in the past.
    Played bottle of smoke and kitty.
    Waltzing Matilda was abit ambitious and the result was a bit of a shambles.
    Overall still one of my favourite gigs every year, great music, great crowd, great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 frogh

No ticket advertising permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Anyone go last night? Heard he was in some state..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

From the pogues forum it seems as if Wednesday was absolutely amazing and Thursday had Shane back to a level of himself in 1985, ie utterly legless, collapsing all over the stage, etc.

Thats the chance you take on a pogues ticket I guess.

last night was a disaster. what a waste. never seen him that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-pogues/2010/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-7bd29a74.html
    Thats the setlist from Wednesday was an amazing show, does anyone have one from Thursday rumor has it they barely played an hour?

they played an hour and forty on thurs. setlist slightly different. they dropped kitty and yeah yeah yeah... and added the irish rover and another that escapes me as i type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've seen then in a July and they've played Fairytale...?????

• Advertisement
Advertisement