Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight severely delayed

Options
  • 03-12-2010 1:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭

I was due to fly to Oslo earlier today leaving Dublin at 11.50.

The DAA shutdown the airport so there was no point travelling to the airport as the flight would not be leaving until 2000 at the earliest. I had business in Oslo that I have missed so there would be no point in travelling at 2000.

In the end the flight left at 2200 and arrived just now, some 10 hours late.

Do I have any right to a refund due to the delay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

possibly partial compensation, depends on airlines exact Ts & Cs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If it's a weather related delay (extraordinary circumstances) then normally you are not entitled to any compensation. It would not hurt to ask the airline though.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭bigwillie

if you paid with your credit card you may be entitled to refund.....give your credit card company a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You're entitled to a full refund of the flight cost.

The "no compensation due to bad weather" excuse only applies to the the compensation (of €250 for flights under 1500km), not to the refund. If you were at the airport, you would have also been entitled to food, and a hotel if an overnight stay was needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would that apply even where the flight eventually left some 10 hours later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You're entitled to a refund if the airline notifies you that the flight is cancelled. Anything else qualifies as you choosing not to travel.

You can apply for a refund of the taxes portion of the airfare.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

dudara wrote: »
    You're entitled to a refund if the airline notifies you that the flight is cancelled. Anything else qualifies as you choosing not to travel.

You can apply for a refund of the taxes portion of the airfare.

That hardly seems fair.

If i want to do a day trip or a 2 day weekend trip and the flight is delayed 12 hours theres no longer any point in going.

There may be some compensation due, but TBH, I'm not fully au fait with EU legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Any delay 5 hours or longer is equivalent to cancellation, and you're entitled to claim a refund.

Correct - saw a poster on this today in Schiphol. But I don't know if you have to be present at the airport in order to qualify.

Here's a link to more information - on the EU Comission Website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement