Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Day

Options
  • 03-12-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Have just finished reading 'One Day' by David Nicholls. I think this is the best book I have ever read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Did you really think so?

I really liked it, thought it was a unique style of book, but I thought the ending was a bit disspointing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

wonderpet wrote: »
    Have just finished reading 'One Day' by David Nicholls. I think this is the best book I have ever read.
    What is it that you liked about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

I hate that book. It made me cry. On a train. Damn you, Nicholls! And I quite enjoyed The Understudy and Starter for Ten. This one, though... Did I mention the crying on a train? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I put this on my Christmas book list and have been hearing such great things about it - I can't wait to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I loved this too.
    One of my books of 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I found it very enjoyable and easy to read, a page-turner. But it kinda had the feel that I was reading the script to a rom-com at times ( and it is being made into a film.) I think if it had been written by a woman, it would probably have been marketed as chick-lit. So while it was good ( and the premise of the novel - describing one day of two characters' lives per chapter- is brilliant) I wouldn't have it down as the best book I've ever read, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Just read it and I thought it was okay - nothing special. I think it's definitely a book that will resonate more with individual circumstances and experiences that people will have had, and affect people differently. I've come across a few mentions of it around the place where people have absolutely loved it, so I am a bit disappointed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I bought this book after hearing so many people raving about it, but to be honest I didn't think much of it. It wasn't one of those books that once I put it down I couldn't wait to sit back down and read some more!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Almost finished it.

Am thoroughly enjoying it.

Some parts are quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

As a raving romantic, I loved this book. Don't have much expectations for the film though, after the disappointment of The Time Traveller's Wife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I can't really remember much about it but I do remember that I was really disappointed with it, and it says a lot that I don't remember it. I seem to be the only one who is unimpressed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

No, I'm not very impressed with it either Belle E Flops. I just reread Acacia's post above and agree with the point that if it had been written by a woman it would have been marketed as chick-lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rubabbel

I'm not sure it wasn't marketed as chick-lit: the main quote on the front cover is Marian Keyes (I think it's Marian Keyes) endorsing it. Does the term 'chick-lit' refer to content or the gender of the author? Or both together?

rubabbel wrote: »
    I'm not sure it wasn't marketed as chick-lit: the main quote on the front cover is Marian Keyes (I think it's Marian Keyes) endorsing it.QUOTE]

When One Day was first recommended to me, I baulked at the premise and especially when I saw the quote on the front cover from Marian Keyes.
    But I felt rewarded by taking a chance on the book because it was one of the warmest, funniest, saddest books about contemporary lives and living that I've read.
    I particularly enjoyed the well observed characters and the humour which dotted most pages. I dont remember crying although it is sad at times but I do remember laughing out loud several times.
    I've already read it twice this year and would quite love to experience the whole first-read thing again. However, I await the forthcoming film version with some well placed trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waterford City Council Library Services

Acacia wrote: »
    I found it very enjoyable and easy to read, a page-turner. But it kinda had the feel that I was reading the script to a rom-com at times ( and it is being made into a film.) I think if it had been written by a woman, it would probably have been marketed as chick-lit. So while it was good ( and the premise of the novel - describing one day of two characters' lives per chapter- is brilliant) I wouldn't have it down as the best book I've ever read, not by a long shot.

Agreed! Lovely book but if it was written by a woman I think it would have had a totally different reception!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I stumbled on this book by accident. Never heard of it before (let alone a movie, as people here have mentioned), but the premise and the first few paragraphs (and the price -- on sale) pulled me in. i loved it. At times I did find myself suspending disbelief that these two people could maintain a close relationship in spite of so little in common, and often distance. But the characters were amazingly well drawn, and it had just the right balanc of laughter and heart-string pulling.

I loved how it held my attention. Every new chapter was exciting -- wondering where it would pick up.

Definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I'm not sure it wasn't marketed as chick-lit: the main quote on the front cover is Marian Keyes (I think it's Marian Keyes) endorsing it. Does the term 'chick-lit' refer to content or the gender of the author? Or both together?

Interesting question. In my opinion, 'chick-lit books' are usually novels written by women , and marketed to women with storylines that are typically pretty simple "boy-meets-girl" stuff with romantic misunderstandings and some guff about shopping / shoes thrown in and rather cliched characters. And the covers of such books are fairly fluffy and well, girly ( shoes, flowers, general pinkness.)

My comment about "One Day" was that it followed a lot of the conventions of chick-lit contentwise ( story was a bit contrived, cliched characters, etc.) IME, had the book not been written by a man I think it would probably have had a cover more like chick-lit novels and less like " serious" books. As it stands,you wouldn't necessarily know it was a romantic book just by looking at it, as you would with the likes of Sophie Kinsella or Cecelia Ahern. It would probably have been shelved in the chick-lit section of bookshops too, which I don't think it is currently. Just my opinion, though:P.

I think the ending is what sets it apart from chick-lit. Chick-lit is generally accepted to be written by women, for women, be specifically lighthearted in tone and have a happy ending.
    If it were written by a woman, it still wouldn't count as chick-lit because of how it ends. I'm attempting to not ruin the ending in case anyone reads this thread before reading the book. I mean, it's quite light-hearted in some sections, and funny in some, but I think it's just too serious to be classified chick-lit even if it were written by a woman.

And yes, chick-lit is pretty much exclusively an author-gender-specific term.

And yes, chick-lit is pretty much exclusively an author-gender-specific term.

It is interesting, especially when there are at least two 'female' chick-lit writers who aren't female (but are pretending they are). I would also presume that chick-lit has happy endings, but having not read any chick-lit books I can't say whether they have happy endings or not. I've heard Marian Keyes can be quite gritty in the subject matter she choses to deal with.

It is interesting, especially when there are at least two 'female' chick-lit writers who aren't female (but are pretending they are). .

Interesting- who are they?

I read chick-lit when I need to turn my brain off for a while! Marian Keyes does have more gritty storylines like drug addiction but you'll also notice a recurring trend of women finding their Mr. Right through their problems, and having dealt with their problems and living pretty much happily ever after in the end.
    What I mean is, regardless of the storyline, the ending is the real defining feature of chick-lit.

And I think One Day really stood out to me because of its ending; Nicholls built the story up in one specific direction and then completely demolished those expectations.

I really enjoyed One Day. Even if it did make me tear up a bit.

• Advertisement

The one I've heard about is Nicci French - a husband and wife writing team. I haven't read any of their books so I'm not sure exactly what genre they are.

What are the others?

I'm delighted so many people like One Day :)

Zxc wrote: »
    The one I've heard about is Nicci French - a husband and wife writing team...

I actually may look them up, I like writing collaborations. I think it works quite well for Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees anyway. But yes, One Day was a really really great read. It'll be a while before I pick it up again though, and I'll be reading mainly comedies until then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Great book, I really enjoyed it. I stayed up until the early hours to finish it. I was bawling at the end, so sad :( It was one of a few books that I have read recently that made me cry.

I loved the structure of this book, the way each chapter was based on the same day in a different year. The characters are so engaging as well, a very good story.

I will definitely be going to see this in the cinema but I won't get my hopes up too much because let's face it, the movie is never as good as the book now is it! I'm a bit skeptical about Anne Hathaway playing Emma, not too sure how that will work out as she is American. Can't wait to see Jim Sturgess though, I think he will make the perfect Dexter!

neveah wrote: »
    I'm a bit skeptical about Anne Hathaway playing Emma, not too sure how that will work out as she is American. Can't wait to see Jim Sturgess though, I think he will make the perfect Dexter!

That's the casting? Fantastic!! Anne Hathaway was quite good in Becoming Jane, so she can pull off an upper-class English accent anyway.

That movie is going to be so depressing, I may give it a miss on those grounds. But that is really great casting for those parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

That's the casting? Fantastic!! Anne Hathaway was quite good in Becoming Jane, so she can pull off an upper-class English accent anyway.
    Emma is supposed to be working class Yorkshire, so that will be a bit of a stretch from the standard Queen's English accent.

I've never really read a chick-lit novel, but I'm sure one thing that sets this book apart from that genre is that it's also a great social commentary on Britain from the late 80s up until the mid 2000s.

Neither are particularly famous, but there's a new-ish writer called 'A. O'Connor'. The lack of giving the first name is a warning sign, and sometimes the name appears as 'Andrew O'Connor' on publisher lists and the like. The other is one I have my suspicions about: Kate McCabe. I've seen references to 'her' as Eugene and/or Patrick - no idea if she's just being confused with her more famous namesakes or if there's something fishy going on. And her bio doesn't state a gender, seems to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I bought One Day after reading several glowing reports & while reading the first half, I must say I kept thinking "chick-lit". I had a vision of Hugh Grant & Martine McCutcheon as Dex & Em. However, having got to the end I have to admit that it was a very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Zxc wrote: »
    The one I've heard about is Nicci French - a husband and wife writing team. I haven't read any of their books so I'm not sure exactly what genre they are.

the only Nicci French books I've read have been thrillers. Usually quite good.

Really liked One Day, wasn't sure I would, but quite enjoyable overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It may be deemed inappropriate to bump this thread, but I just finished One Day this morning and feel compelled to throw my thoughts down.

Like many have noted above, I was highly sceptical coming in, and would normally judge such works by the cover alone. But the frequency with which it appeared on year end lists convinced me to give it a whirl, so I picked it up as part of the annual pre Christmas amazon book splurge.

The highest compliment I can pay the book is to say that I was genuinely shocked by its climax - like being punched in the stomach. Such an effect could only be achieved by a total immersion in the central characters and their lives; and as such I can only praise Nicholls for this wonderfully absorbing tale. It reads really easily (I polished it off in a few hours), but there is a strong depth and complexity at play.

There are easy criticisms to make - yes, the general arc of events is well signposted and expected; the climax could be argued as cheap and manipulative; the material and plot labelled as overly well worn. Honestly though, they didn't cross my mind when I was reading it. This may be a simple love story at heart delivered in a mass appeal manner; but the core is a tangible rumination on loneliness and the disappointment of youth lost (or squandered) in the sands of time.

It takes great skill to frame a life as convincingly as Nicholls has done here. To not read this because of a distaste for the genre it skirts the edges of would be to do oneself a great disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Interesting book, but did anyone else think the characters were just a little unlikeable? I didn't get the elements that were meant to make them attractive to people.

Advertisement