Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain in Waterford City, plain old miserable rain :mad: Nothing freezing about it at all.

Temp 3.3c Dp 2.3c

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

compsys wrote: »
    Sun out here. *sigh*. I wonder where it all went wrong for much of the East coast? What do the experts think? Talk about a total non-event.

Met Éireann, and in fairness most of the other forecasters, were all expecting heavy snow for Dublin and we didn't even get a flake. I even took today off work as I was convinced I'd be snowed in again and wouldn't make it home. Feel a bit guilty about it now.

Check your window in about 25 seconds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Flurries in Lucan.

They're not going to add anything to the snow... Its been quite disappointing after met.ie mentioned "Heavy snowfall today with significant accumulation"...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heavy snow in Athlone briefly there. Back to light snow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can't believe all this talk of regional threads, and how Weathercheck and Trogdor are putting up with it. I understood that rules were in place specifically to deal with these sorts of issues, namely that people PM the moderator if they want to question the decision. Not have a kangaroo court in the middle of a weather discussion thread!

My own view is that only two meteorologically unrelated events hitting Ireland in the near future would be worth 2 different threads. E.g. if there were a hypothetical storm 2 days away from Ireland and the NW was getting wintry showers that afternoon etc.

If people want to discuss the impact of weather on various aspects of local life, that's what the regional forums are for surely? The weather forum itself was always of a national character and this country is too small for having completely separate (or indeed duplicating) discussions.

Edit: I see Weathercheck wants no more talk on it, and I just missed that post. My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sun out here. *sigh*. I wonder where it all went wrong for much of the East coast? What do the experts think? Talk about a total non-event.

Met Éireann, and in fairness most of the other forecasters, were all expecting heavy snow for Dublin and we didn't even get a flake. I even took today off work as I was convinced I'd be snowed in again and wouldn't make it home. Feel a bit guilty about it now.

Same as when the streamers where trying to push inland, goin over the heavy snow fields , they just ran out of energy... " sigh" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Heroditas wrote: »
    Folks, those of you who are in North County Dublin .... will that shower affect the airport?
    I'm due to be flying out this afternoon but will be cancelling if the flight is delayed. How heavy/light/bad is the snow out that direction?

I'm just north of the airport and the snow seems to be keeping just north of me at the moment, but I've no idea if it will stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Anymore talk of the Regional threads etc will result in bannings!

This thread is for all Big Freeze Chat.

There are threads for

- Road Conditions
    - Weather Forecasts and Charts

At this stage i do not feel it necessary to have Regional threads, however i will look into this in future Cold Spells.

Bannings? That seems a bit extreme. People were only putting forward suggestions, taking a position and backing it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Monasterevin has gone from a light snowfall to massive flakes ,huge dark clouds dropping loads of snow :)

chinchin wrote: »
    I'm just north of the airport and the snow seems to be keeping just north of me at the moment, but I've no idea if it will stay that way.

Airport seems to be running busy but ok... the pilots havent reported any bad weather this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Dcully wrote: »
    Monasterevin has gone from a light snowfall to massive flakes ,huge dark clouds dropping loads of snow :)

Excellent , tell her I am waiting up in newbridge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

So is it safe to say we are back to 'normal' in the east? back to rain and coldness and no more snow ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

kakee wrote: »
    Maybe the government will give us all free salt..........in exchange for the free cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet they will intoduce a snow tax instead!

...not jealous at all....:mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Haha not our fault you guys have greatly offended the Snow Gods by voting for spastic gombeens like Healy-Rae/Lowry/Cowen/Cooper-Flynn, et al! Karma has a funny way of coming back to slap you on the ar*e! :D:D:D

Now that politics has come into the fray, how about some day dreaming.

Bear with me, I'm not altogether joking, but hey, some light entertainment is called for to lift the spirits of all the Dubs that were hoping for another mega event.:rolleyes:

(in passing, the hole in the weather around Dublin can probably be blamed on our local equivalent of the Isle of Man that is the Wicklow Mountains)

For this scenario to work, we need a really cold, snowy January & February.

Persuade one person per constituency to change their name by deed poll, and stand in the soon to happen general Election.

Bear with me :D

Their main election manifesto will be quite limited. The first will be to pass a bill significantly reducing the pay and benefits of ALL politicians and the like, past and present, and make them accept the same terms and conditions for social welfare and the like as those they impose on the self employed. All pensions would be frozen until the state retirement age.

Their second would be to enshrine in legislation that all future pay rises and "expenses" would be performance related, and subject to referendum if above inflation, and subject to the same rules on expenses that are applied to PAYE workers and the self employed.

The third would be that all former politicians have to perform public service in order to be able to draw their pension if they are under the state retirement age.

That's where the weather related aspect comes in. If I had my way, all the former politicians would be forced to spend a significant period of time on snow clearing duties, at minimum wage, and without any other "fringe benefits" or expenses;)

The name for the Deed Poll Change?????

"NONE OF THE ABOVE" :D:D

I'd love to see one box on each ballot paper with this "name" on it:D:D

Instant reduction in the size of the Dail, and maybe some reality in the political system after they resign and force a "real" election with candidates that want to do the job rather than hangers on that are only looking out for themselves.

And I nearly forgot. Bankers bonuses to be directly related to the real trading performance of their organisations, with the potential to be negative as well as positive, (Rant) How the h**l can bankers be paying "bonuses" to staff when they've been making the levels of losses they have been making for so long?????? (/rant):mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

MGMTea wrote: »
    So is it safe to say we are back to 'normal' in the east? back to rain and coldness and no more snow ? :confused:

Just stopped snowing lightly in Lucan, but a fair bit of cloud around without a sign of a thaw where I am anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Snow has been teasing Celbridge for the last while..sort of stuff you can only see against a very dark background.

light sometimes moderate snow in arklow continues.
    Going a good 90 mins now -all sticking on top of the stuff of the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Laugh out loud funny....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTXN091UjLU

Sorry - don't know how to embed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

The thaw is on in Ashbourne....snow sliding off the cars. Wind has picked up with very very dusty snow in the air

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

squonk wrote: »
    Bannings? That seems a bit extreme. People were only putting forward suggestions, taking a position and backing it up.

We should leave the modding to the mods. It's [bannings]perhaps the only way to put all the nonsense to bed and get things back on topic rather than spend ages trying to reach a consensus.

In other news - still snowing in Wicklow Town! We are finally getting our fair share having watched on in agony as people spoke of several inches... Still only in the mm but not greedy. Nice to see it at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Thanks for the updates, in Dublin at the moment but have to make my way back there later!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Strengthening southerly wind in Dun Laoghaire, about a force 5 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

How much is falling out in Collon?
    Only the odd flake at this stage. It fell steadily for a few hours but not a huge amount, levels on the ground haven't increased noticeably, as far as I can see from the couch!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Embeding yrra

Click the youtube icon and place this code between the two jTXN091UjLU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Laugh out loud funny....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTXN091UjLU

Sorry - don't know how to embed
    Brilliant, guy at around the 1 minute mark should audition for Riverdance with that footwork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

not the bbc. they clearly showed it decaying as it moved inland. it was mentioned a few times yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

ciaranm wrote: »
    Check your window in about 25 seconds :)

I checked. Nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Very light flurry in Greystones now with quite windy conditions, Radar looks good for a half hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

0.6 here now. The temp is rising quite rapidly. DP is still -1 but there's already a sign of a thaw setting in. Ah well, better luck next time, maybe in another 20 years or so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement