Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Normal drizzle here. Thank feck that's all over. Now for the slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 réaltóg

Light rain in D2. MASSIVE puddles everywhere :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Be careful out there in the thaw (whenever it comes). Ya dont want anything like these falling on you

Edit : LOL first image I have uploaded - I trust it's not too big !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Major thaw in Athlone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Apparently 2.5 degrees outside here. Light rain/freezing rain every so often. That could be snow melting from the roof admittedly although I can still see a good inch or two of snow on the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Sleety rain here with temp at +1c, no thaw though. Roads still lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

anyone notice how that front from the west died off before it hit the south east and look at it now building no end in the irish sea and heading for wales

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

eigrod wrote: »
    I can vouch for that. A good dusting for an hour now and it's still meandering down.

Blizzard conditions for a while over by Tesco but a much more sedate flurry currently in Delgany.

Oh and the council are out gritting the cul de sacs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Snowing heavily again here on the Westmeath/Meath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

been snowing in dundalk since 9:30 but very lightly,but it's fairly bucketing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Very heavy snow now in Edenderry after all the precip missed us this morning. Wont last for long looking at the radar. Nice thick flakes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Reasonably heavy Snow near Howth Summit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

smokin ace wrote: »
    anyone notice how that front from the west died off before it hit the south east and look at it now building no end in the irish sea and heading for wales
    What a bloody waste of good snow, would be much better dumped in Dublin than over in Wales :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Just south of Dundalk, haven't had too much overnight/this morning compared to town but it looks like we are going to get a fair bit now, starting to tip down and the radar looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Heavy snow in Kells now

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    you all realize all that snow is going to turn to water and flood dublin.

That's why we want it to keep snowing! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

There appears to be a heavier and more organized band of showers making its way to the E. Coast, I expect snow from that as precipitation will help the temp go down. 2 celcius here on the South Dublin Coast now.

http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Still lashing snow in Monasterevin, no sign of a thaw here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

How is it so warm on the east cost at the moment? Surely the wind coming across the country will have been cooled off causing the temperature to stay low? I'm curious to know how places like Citywest are still getting snow whereas Sandyford are getting rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

SuprSi wrote: »
    How is it so warm on the east cost at the moment? Surely the wind coming across the country will have been cooled off causing the temperature to stay low? I'm curious to know how places like Citywest are still getting snow whereas Sandyford are getting rain.

Dunno, but here in the last hour the snow has completely cleared of the top of my car and the bins etc. Very sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

SuprSi wrote: »

Precip intensity would be crucial.

The heavier the precip the more liklihood of it falling as snow.

And in places where it has been snowing this morning temperatures will be lower.

So places in the east have just had cloud cover and no precip will have higher temps than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cormacp6

Does anyone know ifswords will see any snow?

I don't know why anyone is panicking. This isn't the end of the snow in the East or the cold period. It'll be around a good while yet if the experts are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I don't know why anyone is panicking. This isn't the end of the snow in the East or the cold period. It'll be around a good while yet if the experts are to be believed.

I'd be pretty sure it will be the end of any decent snow (falling) for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

We had a similar thaw here on Wednesday(Ballycoolin) and look what happened after that.

I havent looked at the forecast, so dont know whats coming, but just saying a couple of hours thawing doesnt mean the end of it nessicarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The thaw is well underway in Dublin now. Gotta think this is the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'd be pretty sure it will be the end of any decent snow for a while anyway.

there still could be a reasonable bit of snow in other parts of the country later tonight. obviously nothing like you had in the east, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

still rain and aleet showers in the northwest, spent 4 hours shoveling nasty wet snow this morning couldnt move the cars stuff just compacted and turned to icey slush, horrible.

ha postman just praised my drive clearing (what the hell is a postman doing out in this)

137972.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Wertz wrote: »
    Yeah this is something that pisses me off no end...listenbing to my local news on radio here (LMFM)....they're leading with weather news and discussing snow event, further falls etc etc...I'm looking out the window and at the doppler and the event is mostly over.

-0.8 here now. Snow has fizzled out...might be another blast from that clump over around westmeath currently. Looks like it might be a bit wetter than what we got this morning though.

Well I'm going to have to eat my words because since I posted that the snow has intensified here, temps have fallen (-1.1) and it's showing no sign of stopping.
    Coming down currently in pretty sizable amounts...a little bit of sleety rain mixed in...wet snow, not graupel. Roads are still pretty decent...went out for some vittles. Side streets not so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement