Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

littlebsci wrote: »
    Still bucketing down in Portarlington. Some of the bigest snowflakes I've seen all week!!

Two decisions to make.....1 whether to drive to Newbridge and 2 whether to drive to Dublin. Anyone know if it's still snowing in Newbridge?

Definitely snowing in Newbridge. Has been on and off all morning and some of it has been relatively heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Nice steady snow again here in Dundalk. Second more intense band moving through looking at the radar.

Seems to be easing a little here but it's still around freezing so probably more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Thoughts please. I'm meant to be flying to Edinburgh tomorrow lunch time then to fly home to Dublin Sunday night. What are your thoughts on getting home Sunday? I have to be in work on Monday.
    Cant decide what to do.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doc crock

Glendalough today at noon :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Sun is shining in Greystones now, beautiful day. The thaw is on, the tail end of the band approaching Dublin might just swing by to total destroy the roads for the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

noanoa wrote: »
    Thoughts please. I'm meant to be flying to Edinburgh tomorrow lunch time then to fly home to Dublin Sunday night. What are your thoughts on getting home Sunday? I have to be in work on Monday.
    Cant decide what to do.
    Any ideas?

Know a guy who's been stuck there since Tuesday and isn't meant to be coming back til Sunday, has had two flights cancelled so far on Tuesday and yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

doc crock wrote: »
    Glendalough today at noon :cool:

gorgeous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Stopped here now, 5cm of snow on the ground.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Iancar29 wrote: »
    My dad had been doin that since the first sub 0 nite, putting water from the hot tap out for them so it doesnt freeze so quick!, and a heap load of seads and nuts!

tell your dad to put a small bit of sugar in the water instead this will stop it freezing

also go to the butchers and ask for some suet, they give it away for free leave it out for the birds, they need the fat to keep warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Weather's pretty dull here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As heavy here now as I've seen for years. Front street is a mess. I lifted the handbrake coming in for thre criac and nearly took out my neighbours pier lol.
    Temp has rise again...now -0.7C...don't know if we'll see above freezing before sundown. Hope not...I don't want this wet stuff turning to slush and hard freezing...

[edit] Stopped hellboy? Not in SE of town....still flurrying away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭keithzer

Snowing again in Drogheda Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mick.c

Wertz wrote: »
    As heavy here now as I've seen for years. Front street is a mess. I lifted the handbrake coming in for thre criac and nearly took out my neighbours pier lol.
    Temp has rise again...now -0.7C...don't know if we'll see above freezing before sundown. Hope not...I don't want this wet stuff turning to slush and hard freezing...

since this snow started i cant keep my wife away from the window...... if it gets any worse i will have to consider letting her in

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

mick.c wrote: »
    since this snow started i cant keep my wife away from the window...... if it gets any worse i will have to consider letting her in

About 3 days late with that joke...been on here a few times already! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

irishbird wrote: »
    tell your dad to put a small bit of sugar in the water instead this will stop it freezing

also go to the butchers and ask for some suet, they give it away for free leave it out for the birds, they need the fat to keep warm

thats interesting to know about the sugar in the water because i put out a few bottles of WKD in the snow the other night to cool and forgot about and went to bed and they were not frozen the next day when i thought about them

Jesus we haven't heard that one before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Getting ridiculous here in Louth - flakes the size of out National Debt and snowing harder than I've ever seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

smokin ace wrote: »
    thats interesting to know about the sugar in the water because i put out a few bottles of WKD in the snow the other night to cool and forgot about and went to bed and they were not frozen the next day when i thought about them

Thats to do with the Vodka, it has a much lower freezing point than water. If you want you driveway to be ice free, poor a few bottles of vodka over it, might get a bit expensive though.

get your coat the door is there out you go and good bye
    that joke is done to death

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wertz wrote: »
    Stopped hellboy? Not in SE of town....still flurrying away.
    I'm out Toberona (NW) and it's stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Someone made that joke yesterday

Here it hasnt snowed all day, just grey skies with a tiny bit of thaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Citywest111

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Sun is shining in Greystones now, beautiful day. The thaw is on, the tail end of the band approaching Dublin might just swing by to total destroy the roads for the morning.

Sun -- please please move to Roundwood! We are still snowed in, like there is no end:mad:

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Thats to do with the Vodka, it has a much lower freezing point than water. If you want you driveway to be ice free, poor a few bottles of vodka over it, might get a bit expensive though.

i could think of a few better things to do with a bottle of vodka than pour it on the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

smokin ace wrote: »

Alcohol freezes at like -100o C or something doesnt it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Jesus we haven't heard that one before...

I have to be honest with you here... I've long since heard that joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tenaciousdee

Just stopped snowing here in Navan, was very heavy, huge flakes, I reckon another inch fell!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Looking to travel to Bunmahon in Co. Waterford over the weekend, anybody who can fill me in on the conditions of the roads down that way, would be appriciated.

Travelling from the N2 via the M50 and N7/N9

Thanks

Buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Bet you're glad you posted that eh :)

Still funny though ! Old 'un but good 'un!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Snowing proper here in Drogheda, it's just soooo nice...!! (as long as one doesn't have to venture out..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Thanks amacachi. Think I should give up then. Think its for the best, just in case they get more heavy snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement