Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

sillybird wrote: »
    Perhaps have a look at the weather after the 6 news?

there is no point in pinning your hopes on what they say in the weather after the news the experts here are far more reliable than the met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pink_L

Except one says it's from Blessington and the other (on boards.ie) says it's Tallaght! It was emailed in from a lady in Blessington when she took it outside her house........

I'm the one from Blessington & I sent Mike a message about it also as someone told me when I posted about my photos being in the Herald on another forum that someone was claiming it was Tallaght. Here are both my pics in the Herald this evening (well online anyway). For the record, it's not a micra, but an estate, think Almera but will double check in the morning (it's not been cleared of the snow.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/your-weather-photos-2447297.html?ino=20

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/your-weather-photos-2447297.html?ino=21

They are still on my camera with the dates on the bottom right hand corner for all to see if you wish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

have to laugh at the people from the north west been interviewed on RTE,funny stuff lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

have to laugh at the people from the north west been interviewed on RTE,funny stuff lol:D

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

Issued at 03 December 2010 - 13:59
    Severe Weather Warning

Snow in East Ulster, Leinster and east Munster clearing eastwards through this afternoon an early evening.

Severe frost and ice developing tonight.

Showers of rain, sleet and snow spreading from the west overnight with the snow mainly on high ground and in the midlands. The rain and sleet will freeze on contact with the ground, increasing the severity of icy conditions.

Further showers of rain, sleet and snow on Saturday morning, the snow mainly in Leinster.

Valid until 1400 hours on Saturday 4th December 2010.
    hr.gif

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    Why?

Just is..ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

zerks wrote: »
    Just saw a news report from Cork city on tv3-bone dry,you have to feel sorry them.Well........:D:D:D

feck off:(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

smokin ace wrote: »
    there is no point in pinning your hopes on what they say in the weather after the news the experts here are far more reliable than the met

I have been around long enough and I find them reliable for the majority as well as the experts on here (thumbs up to them all and Thank you!) I do understand how difficult it is to forecast Snow when the conditions are marginal.
    I just see the same question being asked over and over again which for me not as an expert find it quite frustrating when you can either watch the weather on TV or read back a few pages to get the answer. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying don't ask questions. Anyway back to the current topic :)

up date from m.t. cranium the weather expert for ones that dont know

Comments I make about distant potential events are based on research into trends and tendencies -- so all I can really say at this point is that a colder than average trend is likely through the month (although not as cold as recently for a while now) and a significant storm event is likely around that time (20-21 Dec) ... it is more likely to be a wintry storm than a mild storm but if it were to prove to be a mild event it would probably become very windy and pull down cold air rapidly as it departed ... but the current model runs are suggesting a colder period just before then and some sort of reload of the severe cold, so possibly a northeast wind streamer event would be favoured, perhaps enhanced by low pressure moving by to the south. Anyway it's a long way off and we have some active weather to consider in the next 24 hours, so here's an update on that.

UPDATE _ Friday, 6:00 p.m.

More wintry showers are likely overnight and through Saturday in a westerly flow turning more northwest to northerly on Saturday. Temperatures will fall back a few degrees and these wintry showers will take a variety of forms, with rain more likely in western counties, near the south coast and in city centre Dublin, while sleet or snow will be more likely in most other regions.

Except near the west coast where lows will remain 0-2 C, the overnight lows will fall to about -3 or a bit lower where it clears for a while and some very icy conditions are likely as slush freezes. A few places could see 1-3 cms of new snow but falls will not be widespread or very organized. During the day tomorrow the balance between rain and wintry types of precip will swing more to rain but there will continue to be a mix -- amounts of precip in any case will be fairly light, in the range of 2-5 mms which would give a few places (likely higher and well inland) 2-5 cms of snow.

The pattern beyond tomorrow remains about as predicted earlier and will be generally a bit milder than last week but not as mild as average -- this means a freeze-thaw cycle for areas that still have snow, some limited melting, and frequent returns to icy conditions especially outside the warmest part of the day (which is 1100-1500h).

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

have to laugh at the people from the north west been being interviewed on RTE,funny stuff lol:D

Though I don't agree with your sentiments I thought I should at least correct your spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Of all the times to need to go to hospital 20 miles away. :pac: **** it, antibiotics, painkillers and alcohol will cure what ails me I'm sure. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Just is..ha

great reply

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Frost and ice from now on..............according to some numpty on RTE news.

EDIT: Good Jesus, Sharon is a crap interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

amacachi wrote: »
    Of all the times to need to go to hospital 20 miles away. :pac: **** it, antibiotics, painkillers and alcohol will cure what ails me I'm sure. :pac:

If you mean by passing out and eventually waking up in said hospital......then sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Frost and ice from now on..............according to some numpty on RTE news.

so.....we will defo have more snow?

michaelm wrote: »
    Though I don't agree with your sentiments I thought I should at least correct your spelling.

no,no I was just laughing at the fact that RTE were interviewing people in the north west & they went into a pub/shop & asked the shop owner was he concerned that their would be a food shortage as deliveries of food to shop we're been hampered due to bad weather,& one man seemed more worried about the shortage of beer rather food...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

6.1 doing a photo spot of weather after the break. How many boards pics will we see ???

Eh no thats not what i said

irish1967 wrote: »
    6.1 doing a photo spot of weather after the break. How many boards pics will we see ???

none probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

No, its becoming less and less likely that we will have any more snow.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »

with that mixture you could end up running around naked outside with 3 foot of snow on the ground and you would not care what weather it is

with that mixture you could end up running around naked outside with 3 foot of snow on the ground and you would not care what weather it is

And will probably end up having the men in white coats coming for you!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

My girlfriend took this in Stephen's Green on Wednesday :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O27x0fmD0k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Should be hitting here any minute now, cant see it being anything but rain though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

-16.4 in Mt. Juliet Co.kilkenny last night. All time december low. Coincicentally less than 1 mile from my house!! and 0.1 lower than recorded in last years cold spell.

So my house is in the coldest place in the country!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

This morning was a disappointment in Galway city for snow lovers.We got a sprinkling of drizzle and a thaw set in for a couple of hours.Roads are wet and will freeze overnight I guess.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

RTÉ reporting that there will be snow in Dublin towards early morning. Probably be the same amount as this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you mean by passing out and eventually waking up in said hospital......then sure

Better take some heroin as well so, make sure I don't have the energy to do anything crazy. :pac:

Im going to miss the falls of snow. I really enjoyed the few days of it that we had, despite the moaning minnies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Most people I spoke to on the extremely icy paths are pi**ed off with snow love

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement