Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current weather in sligo and the west

Options
  • 03-12-2010 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Our thread has been closed in the weather forum so we can be "regional" in here!

it took a long time for the front to start to do anything but I can happily announce that an inch has falle in the last hour!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Its gone back to light rain here in Galway... :( sickened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Whats the weather like in The beautiful North West

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

oranmore is currently -1.3 so might change back:)

Started at -7 tonight though and its been coming up steadily, not sure what exactly that means?

temps will usually rise under cloud cover , as the front passes it should fall again and then smaller following showers will probably fall as snow or hail.

Its pelting down out there here , untreated roads will be very hazardous this morning as snow falling on icy roads is not good .

• Advertisement

May I....The Wests Awake,The Wests Awake!! Danke,Go raibh Maith Agat agus dziękuję.

yea its gonna be dodgy in the morning, very frosty here so rain or snow will not be good on top of it. I dont drive though so I just want to see some snow!:P

temps will usually rise under cloud cover , as the front passes it should fall again and then smaller following showers will probably fall as snow or hail.

Its pelting down out there here , untreated roads will be very hazardous this morning as snow falling on icy roads is not good .

Peltin down rain? Or snow? emm Whats a front?

hello chuk! whats happening on the weather front ? pardon the pun:D

OK we could nearly call this snow here now!:D:D:p Snow everywhere now then??

• Advertisement

chucken1 wrote: »
    Peltin down rain? Or snow? emm Whats a front?

A weather front is a boundary separating two masses of air of different densities, and is the principal cause of meteorological phenomena. In surface weather analyses, fronts are depicted using various colored lines and symbols, depending on the type of front. The air masses separated by a front usually differ in temperature and humidity. Cold fronts may feature narrow bands of thunderstorms and severe weather, and may on occasion be preceded by squall lines or dry lines. Warm fronts are usually preceded by stratiform precipitation and fog. The weather usually clears quickly after a front's passage. Some fronts produce no precipitation and little cloudiness, although there is invariably a wind shift.[1]

from wikipeadia
    oh peltin down snow of course !

benjamin d wrote: »
    OK we could nearly call this snow here now!:D:D:p Snow everywhere now then??

well in our two counties, need a report from chucken 1 from east clare, this might be good for people who may be traveling between sligo and as far as limerick

Right I better go get myself ready to venture out in this snow/rain/crap that it is again now:( I'll be back!:cool:

be carefull out there :)

well in our two counties, need a report from chucken 1 from east clare, this might be good for people who may be traveling between sligo and as far as limerick

Gone Very mild now.Not as cold as earlier!! :)..I'll go to bed...but I'll be awake!

radar uudated every 15 mins shows where the snow and rain is falling http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

satalite pics amamated and updated every 15 mins http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

temperatures nationwide and other good stuff http://www.irelandsweather.com/

winter driving tips via sligo co.co http://www.sligococo.ie/News/Name,19477,en.html

Roads winter treatment program via sligo co.co http://www.sligococo.ie/News/Name,19456,en.html

interesting to folow and essential if you are venturing out and about, know the conditions and drive accordingly.

:D:D:DFinally!! Snow in East Clare..The birds are awake,,AND so's the West!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D:D:D:D

chucken1 wrote: »
    :D:D:DFinally!! Snow in East Clare..The birds are awake,,AND so's the West!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D:D:D:D

congrats chuck! still comming down here , am glad i dont have to go any where today , stay warm and stay safe.

on another note:
    Although many people love a bit of snow (me included:D) this is a very difficult time for elderly and infirm so please take the time to check in on friends and neighbours , ensure that they have enough food and fuel in their houses , some may have been house bound for a few days now, be neighbourly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well I gave in at about 2am, woke up this morning to about a 1 to 2 cm in Sligo Town,, wnet out for a walk through the town and Dorley Park, got a wet fall around 9am lasting around 15 to 20 minutes.

Main roads and paths around town are quite clear although smaller access roads and cul de sacs still had a good dusting along with lesser used paths.

As I type there has been another fall of large flakes lasting about 5 to 10 mnutes but not sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Started snowing here in SE Co. Sligo at approximately 5:30am, now have a covering of 10-15cm.

Please remember to feed the birds! :)

• Advertisement

It has been snowing off and on most of the day up here, about 2 1/2" on the roads with packed ice underlying , temp +2.0c but little thaw .

keep up to date with forcasts
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=118

Had a slight thaw there, then a fresh dusting at about 3.30 which is now turned to slush, now thats starting to freeze. It could be a very icy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

genie wrote: »
    Please remember to feed the birds! :)

Absolutely! Sure they're nearly part of the family by now.

It went up to the dizzy heights of 2.3c today and I was able to pump water into my attic tank for the first time in about eight days so I am a happy bunny:) .

has fallen to -1.0c allready and dropping fast , be carefull on those roads as the thaw will freeze again and won't be nice:(

Well,our bit of snow was a slight anticlimax :mad:. It lasted half an hour,froze over and thawed out! I cant vouch for the roads but the main ones seem to be ok,havent heard of any trouble :).I'd say its freezing again so tomorrow will be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

-5.2 degrees last night and a 'high' of 3.6 degrees this afternoon. Temperature dropping like a stone again now and fog rising in the valleys. Black ice on roads.

Frezzing fog tonignt and potential snow for parts of the northwest tomorrow as per the BBC weather site, they were bang on with the snow on friday morning and the time it fell at.

Weather warning for NI from the UK met office of possible heavy snow as well tomorrow, could quite likely push this side of the boarder as well.

;)

irish-stew wrote: »
    Frezzing fog tonignt and potential snow for parts of the northwest tomorrow as per the BBC weather site, they were bang on with the snow on friday morning and the time it fell at.

Weather warning for NI from the UK met office of possible heavy snow as well tomorrow, could quite likely push this side of the boarder as well.

;)

oh ***** !

Things are bad enough without more of the fluffy stuff:(
    am gettin cabin fever:pac:

oh ***** !

Things are bad enough without more of the fluffy stuff:(
    am gettin cabin fever:pac:

Think this might be more wet than fluffy. A pick axe may be more appropiate to clear the drive after a few days if this keeps up.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Think this might be more wet than fluffy. A pick axe may be more appropiate to clear the drive after a few days if this keeps up.

being so high up here am pretty sure it will be fluffy or at least hard and round;), either way its crap! steep hills down from here, no fun:(

Advertisement