Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current weather in sligo and the west

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Definitely some of the worst frost I've seen on my car this morning.

Am convinced I saw drops of rain on my windscreen on my way into work too - anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

snowing heavily here at 1.2c the drip drip drip of thaw had started just before this:(

snowing heavily here at 1.2c the drip drip drip of thaw had started just before this:(
    No snow in Finisklin.. but certainly some light rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We've had a couple of snow showers this morning in Coolaney. It's now starting to get foggy.

Still going strong here, so much for a mild winter Mr bastardi!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

It was -6.5 degrees last night and now have a mixture of snow and sleet showers. Starting to get foggy again, too. Thick freezing fog last night, everything is covered in a layer of ice.

Road is terrible, won't be going anywhere for a while. Have bad cabin fever. :(

Snowing now in Finisklin..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

basquille wrote: »
    Snowing now in Finisklin..

Snowing every where over town up until about 20-30 minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Had a bit of rain earlier on but not even a drop of the white stuff at all today in dromore.

Guys, we're not totally out of the woods yet. Parts of Sligo as per the BBC weather website could get snow around 6pm and midnight. Parts of Donegal and Leitrim could also gert hit around these times and later in night.

Select NI from drop down, parts of Sligo can be seen. Move scroll bar under map to see differnet times, map updates every few hours. Has been quite accurate this winter so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Oh no, don't tell me that :(

Friday, the snow is back.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Essexboy wrote: »

Was looking at that one as well, use the BBC and met office sites more than the met eireann one.

Hopefully everyone by now knows that more cold weather is on the way, it seems that it will be with us by mid morning on thursday and that the temps will drop like a stone as the front passes southwards bringing sleet and snow this cold period may last for a "while" :(.keep an eye on the weather thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056120027

Sligo coco have said that grit supplies are critical and only primary routes will be treated, (no regional routes or local or urban roads). if this all comes to pass expect the roads to be impassable and prepare for it .

Today go get those essential supplies, ie. food, fuel, and get enough for a week , I know this sounds alarmist but I would rather be looking at my supplies than wanting for them. ;)

So ye have today to get your sh1t together, and finish off that xmas shopping!

Be safe and be warm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Hopefully everyone by now knows that more cold weather is on the way, it seems that it will be with us by mid morning on thursday and that the temps will drop like a stone as the front passes southwards bringing sleet and snow this cold period may last for a "while" :(.keep an eye on the weather thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056120027

Sligo coco have said that grit supplies are critical and only primary routes will be treated, (no regional routes or local or urban roads). if this all comes to pass expect the roads to be impassable and prepare for it .

Today go get those essential supplies, ie. food, fuel, and get enough for a week , I know this sounds alarmist but I would rather be looking at my supplies than wanting for them. ;)

So ye have today to get your sh1t together, and finish off that xmas shopping!

Be safe and be warm:)

Excellent Advice.

Sound's like it's gonna get tough. I wonder will it be worse than last January when a fair bit of Lough Gill was frozen over.

Take care everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

anywhere in sligo doing snow socks or chains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Call of the Wild are selling those things you put on your shoes to stop you slipping. I don't know how much, but will try to get a few pairs tomorrow.

I bought 18kg of dishwasher salt today, should keep me going for awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 corrr

bennyc wrote: »
    anywhere in sligo doing snow socks or chains ?

Halfords are doing Snow Chains for €87.99...I haven't found any snow socks in Sligo yet but they are available online, though obviously delivery won't be before the weather worsens. Best of luck with your search.

Is this for your driveway or are you planning to sell it to the council?:D

The weather god M T Cranium is predicting just short of 12" of snow by the end of the weekend ! :eek: oh I hope he is wrong but he seldom is:(

The roads will be a mess don't go out in it if you don't have to.

• Advertisement

BBC mapsare changing every few hours, current ones show that Sligo Town and areas to the north, south and west coulg get hit from 6pm onwards.
    Call of the Wild are selling those things you put on your shoes to stop you slipping. I don't know how much, but will try to get a few pairs tomorrow.

Is your drive concrete or tar. Was reading on another thread that salt can do damage to some types of concrete depending on the quality, ie, some type of corrosion.

Very full and nasty looking clouds up there..

.. Accuweather says 5pm is when we'll see snow.

Might have already started, rain here at the mo with the odd bit of graupel through it.
    basquille wrote: »
    Very full and nasty looking clouds up there..

.. Accuweather says 5pm is when we'll see snow.

Just in time for hometime.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Weather is changing rapidly. It was 7.6C at 8am. Temperature has dropped quickly since. Snow reported in Donegal. I doubt its too far away from here.

rhonin wrote: »
    Weather is changing rapidly. It was 7.6C at 8am. Temperature has dropped quickly since. Snow reported in Donegal. I doubt its too far away from here.

It was snowing in Letterkenny earlier, depending on the wind direction, Barnsmore and Benbulben might take the hit for us. This evenings snow though looks like its coming in straight off the atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

irish-stew wrote: »
    It was snowing in Letterkenny earlier, depending on the wind direction, Barnsmore and Benbulben might take the hit for us. This evenings snow though looks like its coming in straight off the atlantic.

We'll get some snow at some stage alright :) Roads are going to be lethal.

Met Eireann
    Update on Severe Weather
    Very cold wintry weather will start today and will continue into next week with ice by day and by night.
    Snow showers developing this afternoon and continuing tonight and Friday morning. These falling mainly over Ulster and Connacht initially, but some showers will reach parts of west Munster, the Midlands and north Leinster later.
    Total accumulations up to Friday lunchtime
    5 to 10 cm over Ulster, and Connacht, worst on high ground, with possibly some drifting, but totals of 2-5 cm elsewhere.

A second more significant snow event is expected to occur during Friday afternoon, Friday night and for a time on Saturday. A band of heavy snow is expected to spread across the country from the west and northwest.
    Further totals of 10-15cm possible, with all areas at risk

rhonin wrote: »
    We'll get some snow at some stage alright :) Roads are going to be lethal.

Met Eireann
    Update on Severe Weather
    Very cold wintry weather will start today and will continue into next week with ice by day and by night.
    Snow showers developing this afternoon and continuing tonight and Friday morning. These falling mainly over Ulster and Connacht initially, but some showers will reach parts of west Munster, the Midlands and north Leinster later.
    Total accumulations up to Friday lunchtime
    5 to 10 cm over Ulster, and Connacht, worst on high ground, with possibly some drifting, but totals of 2-5 cm elsewhere.

A second more significant snow event is expected to occur during Friday afternoon, Friday night and for a time on Saturday. A band of heavy snow is expected to spread across the country from the west and northwest.
    Further totals of 10-15cm possible, with all areas at risk

Yep, and its getting worse as the day goes on. The BBC have updated their maps since my earlier post, prepare for a white out this evening.

And with news reports of only primary routes being treated, some urban roads will not be touched due to dwindling supplies only go out if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

you would do your head in looking at all the reports, judging by some we'd be snowed in for ages. whatever will come will come, nothing we can do about it. i try to not get to worked up about it.

Shane10 wrote: »
    you would do your head in looking at all the reports, judging by some we'd be snowed in for ages. whatever will come will come, nothing we can do about it. i try to not get to worked up about it.
    It still pays to be prepared to be honest.

• Advertisement

And.. it's started!

Advertisement