Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baptism class??

• 03-12-2010 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hi All,

I am standing as god father for my niece on Feb for her christning which is being held in San Francisco. My brother and his wife need to do a baptism course and apparently the god parents need to do the same.

Is this something that happens or is required in Ireland and if so does anyone know of any places that do them?

Any suggestins also if the course does not exist in Ireland, will a letter from my PP do maybe?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

What denomination of church is it in the USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

homer911 wrote: »
    What denomination of church is it in the USA?

Sorry, we are Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

all churches have baptism prep classes. if not mentioned in church bulliten or notice board, then ask the parish priest and he'll sort you out.
    the classes are necessary to ensure all those involved know at least the very basics about their faith.
    if you read the the appropriate chapter in the cathecism of the catholic church you should be up to speed pretty fast and a 10 min interview with the priest should convince him you know what's involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

I don't think Irish God-parents must do any such class.

But this might be useful for your own information:
    http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0233.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Thanks for the link, unfortunatly there is a requirement for godparents in my brothers parish in San Francisco to attend a class. Must get myself off to one so.

• Advertisement

Not being funny, and more a reflection on the church's thinking than on the OP, but if they want parents and godparents to attend baptism classes are they not saying that these people are not fundamentally suited for the role if they dont already know their responsibilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Not being funny, and more a reflection on the church's thinking than on the OP, but if they want parents and godparents to attend baptism classes are they not saying that these people are not fundamentally suited for the role if they dont already know their responsibilities?

No, not really. It's just the Church being responsible for what it is doing. It's amazing how many adult catholics there are that haven't a clue about their religion. They turn up at the local church demanding baptism for their (often quite robust) newborns. They could be genuine in their demand, or they may just want to feel good and get some nice pics for the family album.
    The Church merely wants to make sure parents and godparents know at the very least , the basics of their faith so they can fulfill their obligations to their children.
    A bit like being asked to take a predriving class and road test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Such classes sound like a good idea to me, there is a thread running on A&A about what to do if you are an atheist and are asked to be a godparent - so obviously there are parents out there who really have no clue what they're doing in regards to Christenings.

There's a lot to be said for adult baptism!

Considering the amount of going through the motions and "ah sure I'm just an honorary uncle" and "I don't care what the church thinks I'm just helping with the kid" people, I think it's a good idea...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

The God parents are supposed to be practising, faithful Catholics. The fact that it is now considered necessary to run courses for God-parents says a lot about the dire state the Catholic Church is in in this country, and indeed throughout the West.

How can Godparents guide and nourish the faith of their charge when they do not live that faith themselves? Will such a 'witness' ring true?

The God parents are supposed to be practising, faithful Catholics. The fact that it is now considered necessary to run courses for God-parents says a lot about the dire state the Catholic Church is in in this country, and indeed throughout the West.

How can Godparents guide and nourish the faith of their charge when they do not live that faith themselves? Will such a 'witness' ring true?

and indeed what difference will a few classes make at the end of the day...

People either have a faith or they don't. If they do, they will want to share it with their children or god-children.

Advertisement