Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Like To Learn Bass Guitar

• 03-12-2010 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to make an effort to learn Bass for the new year, and want to buy a Bass guitar and take some lessons. I feel I've been a music fan for so long it's just criminal I don't at least play an instrument.

Could someone recommend me a guitar or something that might be practical, and affordable, for me to use. I'm a tall guy, about 6"6, and a big guy - so if that makes a difference I would like a bass that is more comfortable with my size. I would also prefer to play with a pick then with my fingers but at this point that is just a personal choice, thinking out loud, as opposed to any advice

I had a quick look around, and saw this one
    http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/BC-Rich-Warlock-Bass-Black/9BC

I think the price is reasonable, although not too expensive, and I like the look of it. I also know Slayer's history with BC Rich which is what put me on them in the first place - I know a little about what my musical idols would play but very little about practical shopping for a guitar and need some good advice.

I'm based in the UK so sadly won't be able to drop into any of the stores in Ireland that cater for this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Your best bet for picking out a bass, is to visit as many music stores as you can and try out as many basses as possible within your budget. The one that feels and sounds right to you is the right one. I don't know much about the bass in your link, but I'd advise checking out the "SX" basses and the Fender Squier. Bear in mind that you can get a great bargain second hand, if you want to go that route. I'd highly recommend a G&L Tribute, though it might be a bit outside your budget if you are buying new.

You are right to seek lessons, especially in the early stages. Make sure the teacher's first instrument is the bass, and not a guitarist who teaches bass on the side. Get him/her to show you good technique. You can look it ( bass right hand/left hand technique ) up on You Tube. Nothing wrong with playing with a pick, though ideally it would be a bonus to master finger style also. A great all round web site for bass is : www.studybass.com In the illustrations, if you put your mouse over the notes, you can hear how it sounds.

Best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

+1 on the sx and squier (I have a shortscale squier here, no complaints).

I prefer p-basses myself for both hand position and the slightly fatter neck so that might be a concern if you're worried about size. Haven't been bass shopping in a while so I'm afraid I cant help you much further! I did have a vintage musicman copy once which I bought for around 150 pounds, one of the best I have ever owned.

efla wrote: »
    +1 on the sx and squier (I have a shortscale squier here, no complaints).

I prefer p-basses myself for both hand position and the slightly fatter neck so that might be a concern if you're worried about size. Haven't been bass shopping in a while so I'm afraid I cant help you much further! I did have a vintage musicman copy once which I bought for around 150 pounds, one of the best I have ever owned.

Good point about neck sizes. Some people like the narrower jazz necks, while others prefer the chunkier precision ones. This is the advantage of "try before you buy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Have you got big hands?

Definitely try a few and see if some of the narrower necks are too narrow for you.
    I only say this coz i have a mate your size and his hands are like shovels and would have a tough time fretting a chord shape on a narrow neck should he ever desire to do so!
    Go for it though, and get some software for your pc/laptop like guitar rig, you get great variety of sounds to practice with and keep the interest up in the tough early days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would also echo efla and Rigsby's advice about neck size. Definitely try out as many instruments as you can. Personally I love the thin necks of Ibanez basses. To me they are far easier to get to grips with than other chunkier brands. I have small hands so to play 5 and 6 string bass I need all the help I can get :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Rigsby wrote: »
    Good point about neck sizes. Some people like the narrower jazz necks, while others prefer the chunkier precision ones. This is the advantage of "try before you buy".

It's completely down to preference and nothing to do with hand size. I've got large hands and I prefer Jazz style necks. :)

Definitely get into a store and check out a few different basses in person.

Dord wrote: »
    It's completely down to preference and nothing to do with hand size.
    Why wouldn't hand size come into it? If someone's got small hands they aren't going to want to be forced to stretch too much to fret notes if they don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Malice_ wrote: »
    Why wouldn't hand size come into it? If someone's got small hands they aren't going to want to be forced to stretch too much to fret notes if they don't have to.

Well, I know a small female bass player who plays a 70's P with a baseball bat neck. :p

Well, I know a small female bass player who plays a 70's P with a baseball bat neck. :p
    Damn her and her flexible fingers! :)

+1.

The legendary female bassist Carol Kaye, by her own admittance, has fairly small hands and has used all types of basses down the years without any problems. Good technique is the key.

Malice : A minimum amount of stretching should be enough to fret notes if you use the thumb as a pivot, no matter what size your hands are. You might be interested in this link. The whole clip is worth watching, but he talks about pivoting at around the 06.26 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRoQuXlj9w

• Advertisement

+1.

The legendary female bassist Carol Kaye
    I thought Dord meant Tal Wilkenfeld :)
    Rigsby wrote:
    Malice : A minimum amount of stretching should be enough to fret notes if you use the thumb as a pivot, no matter what size your hands are. You might be interested in this link. The whole clip is worth watching, but he talks about pivoting at around the 06.26 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRoQuXlj9w
    Cheers for the link, I'll have a look at it later. It's not that I can't fret certain notes, I'm saying that I prefer the thin necks to be found on Ibanez guitars and basses compared to other brands such as Schecter and Gibson. Without playing a wide-variety of guitars and basses over the years I'd never have come to that conclusion.

Malice_ wrote: »
    Cheers for the link, I'll have a look at it later. It's not that I can't fret certain notes, I'm saying that I prefer the thin necks to be found on Ibanez guitars and basses compared to other brands such as Schecter and Gibson. Without playing a wide-variety of guitars and basses over the years I'd never have come to that conclusion.

Yes, I know what you mean. My G&L L2000 is 1.75" at the nut. While I dont have any problems fretting on it, I usually find myself drawn more towards the jazz neck on the JB2. Having said that, the L2000 was my only bass for quite a while and I never gave neck sizes a second thought until I got other basses.

I never gave neck sizes a second thought until I got other basses.
    Me either. I played a Squier Precision for a few years and it was only when I got a GAS-attack and bought an Ibanez K5 that I realised I found that style of neck far more comfortable.

Advertisement