Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to iphone pay as you go?

Options
  • 03-12-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi, i got myself an iphone 4 recently and love it, but im looking to get the wife a smartphone for christmas... but she desnt want an iphone as she doesnt like the whole interface etc... she has always had nokias untill she got her lg which she hates as it was a hasty/impulse buy. What are my options on a half decent phone around the 150-200 euro price that will allow for apps, net access, and has a half decent response time? has to be pay as you go on o2 aswell... or ami wasting my time and wont get anything under 200 euro?
    thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

The Samsung i5500 would be a good buy IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

have a look at Nokia's new range of phones N8 C7 etc lots reviews of them on boards etc if she is used to a Nokia phone its the way to go

No god no, nokia smartphones are god awful, avoid symbian like the plaugue

I have the n8 its an amazing phone much prefere it to my iphone it can do so much more as well

Ok you may like it, but its still Symbian, also its €400....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

half decent phone around the 150-200 euro price that will allow for apps, net access, and has a half decent response time? has to be pay as you go on o2 aswell... or ami wasting my time

Your waisting your time on o2 pay as you go if you want net access and apps, it'll cost her a fortune to run as they are one of the only networks not with a pre pay data add on.
    She's on pre pay so look at 3, Meteor, Vodafone, they all have better pre pay deals.

Galaxy Europa, Nokia e5 would be 2 good phones that won't break the bank.

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Ok you may like it, but its still Symbian, also its €400....

well if the op wants to impress his gf who has tried other phones but still preferes Nokia one of these phones is what he needs

Its twice his budget! dont be daft#

TBH if he was gonna spend €400 on a phone hed be far better off getting an iPhone or a high end Android

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Slim pickings here... OP said his girlfriend prefers Nokias and doesn't like iPhone. Nokia C7 may be a good bet, but anything in this class will be a good bit out of price range. The lower-priced Nokias are not as good.

There's also Nokia C6-01, which is smaller and a little cheaper again, but only O2, and still not under €200.

In the green robot camp, HTC Wildfire or Samsung Galaxy Apollo are in price range, but their smaller screens don't do any favours to Android's UI (and a lot of apps don't work on the small screens either). Also, the Galaxy Apollo has that iPhone ripoff menu system, which may be a negative mark, and a not very impressive build. Have a look at the Wildfire, though.
    she got her lg which she hates as it was a hasty/impulse buy
    Heh... everyone buys one LG phone at some point... I remember the Chocolate. Should have been called after something else brown.

So, I suppose it's: Stay with Nokia and stretch to a Nokia C6-01 (the one without the keyboard!), or look at a HTC Wildfire.

• Advertisement

KrisW wrote: »
    Slim pickings here... OP said his girlfriend prefers Nokias and doesn't like iPhone. Nokia C7 may be a good bet, but anything in this class will be a good bit out of price range. The lower-priced Nokias are not as good.

There's also Nokia C6-01, which is smaller and a little cheaper again, but only O2, and still not under €200.

In the green robot camp, HTC Wildfire or Samsung Galaxy Apollo are in price range, but their smaller screens don't do any favours to Android's UI (and a lot of apps don't work on the small screens either). Also, the Galaxy Apollo has that iPhone ripoff menu system, which may be a negative mark, and a not very impressive build. Have a look at the Wildfire, though.

Heh... everyone buys one LG phone at some point... I remember the Chocolate. Should have been called after something else brown.

So, I suppose it's: Stay with Nokia and stretch to a Nokia C6-01 (the one without the keyboard!), or look at a HTC Wildfire.
    The Galaxy Apollo is an Orange only version of the Galaxy Europa/ i5500

Theres VERY few apps that wont run on the lower resolution screens of these, and the App store on Android is infinatly superior to the Ovi store.

Basically:
    The Europa/i5500 :
    Nice
    Fast
    Has a good selection of apps
    Comes preloaded with Swype (awesome touchscreen keyboard)
    You can also get Froyo on it
    AND its a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The Galaxy Apollo is an Orange only version of the Galaxy Europa/ i5500

Perhaps in the UK, but in this country, Meteor are also selling this phone as the "Apollo" https://store.meteor.ie/phones/samsung_galaxy_apollo/#/in_all_phones.

Either way, the HTC is less flimsy, so worth the extra couple of quid, imo.

Yeah the HTC Wildfire would probably be the best bet all in all, bigger screen, better camera etc.

Advertisement