Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions 03/12/2010 - Freezing Rain

Options
  • 03-12-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Be careful on the roads today even though it is raining, the rain is freezing when it is hitting the roads leading to very slippy icy conditions. At the moment it is still between -2c and 0c outside so there is still a lot of freezing going on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The Cork - Midleton road is like something out of a Spielberg movie at the moment, there are cars spinning & sliding all over the place.

Two trucks are currently jacknifed - seriously guys, stay off the roads if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

ya heard little island is v. dodgey at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

From AA

*MUNSTER* *CORK* Extremely slippery icy conditions with slushy snow worsening conditions. In the city, the N25 Sth Ring Rd is totally blocked due to numerous crashes and abandoned cars near the old Kinsale Flyover and the route is treacherous from Balincollig to Douglas. Blackstone Bridge should be avoided. * In West Cork, hazardous on all approaches to Bandon, with severe delays as a result. Roads very bad around Macroom and other routes also. * Avoid the N25 Carrigtwohill Bypass; numerous collisions along the route, with reports that it is blocked westbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Great, looks like I might be stuck in college! Anyone know what bishopstown and the main Bandon road are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

gardai have closed the magic roundabout over pass now. traffic backed up from the tunnel to there westbound. east bound ( towards MP ) moving at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

any news on donnybrook and douglas???

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Any word on the buses? Particularly the No 6 from Frankfield into town?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I gotta get from Bishopstown to the top of Maryborough woods later to collect kids from creche, then back down to Rochestown Road and head a few miles out that...I assume I am SCREWED!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

What's town like? I live in Carriogtwohill, going from Bishopstown, so I figure into town, over to the Glanmire road, then off at the Dunkettle roundabout and go home via Glounthaune. Or should I just find a comfy office and settle in for the night :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just took me an hour to get home from the Airport. Not due to ice, but morons. If the road is clearly covered in grit, and cars in front of you are doing 40mph, why do 5? People are panicked, hazard lights on, 5mph speeds, taking 30 seconds to go through a junction meaning only 1 or 2 cars can get through traffic lights.

There's heavy sheet ice on _unfrequently_ travelled roads. If its a normally occupied road, it's not going to be bad enough to warrant this sort of driving. I'm going to Poland in January, where it'll be a hell of a lot worse than this, and people still drive normally.

Driving tips :
    Keep a good distance from the car in front of you, and if possible all around you.
    If you have traction control, turn it off.
    Keep an ice scraper in the car, or deicing spray.
    If you're going downhill, brake from the top all the way to the bottom steadily reducing you speed in case you need to stop.
    If you're driving an automatic, and it has a cold weather mode, use it!
    If it's a normally occupied road, 20mph is an acceptable speed.
    Avoid residential hills if possible.
    Use your noodle!

Things aren't all that bad, despite the hysteria that the media is trying to create.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I'm in Little Island and we can see the main dualcarriage way from here, it is completely backed up and the cars are crawling, long delays I would image on both sides heading into and out of Cork. There are a lot of sirens going off as well. Our carpark at work is like an ice rink!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Redisle wrote: »
    Great, looks like I might be stuck in college! Anyone know what bishopstown and the main Bandon road are like?

Don't worry I'll keep you company. :p

Should be fun walking home tonight, up and down many frozen hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Just took me an hour to get home from the Airport. Not due to ice, but morons. If the road is clearly covered in grit, and cars in front of you are doing 40mph, why do 5? People are panicked, hazard lights on, 5mph speeds, taking 30 seconds to go through a junction meaning only 1 or 2 cars can get through traffic lights.

There's heavy sheet ice on _unfrequently_ travelled roads. If its a normally occupied road, it's not going to be bad enough to warrant this sort of driving. I'm going to Poland in January, where it'll be a hell of a lot worse than this, and people still drive normally.

That's completely wrong and an incredibly dangerous thing to say. The ring road is closed around Douglas because of all the crashes. It was fine at 8.30 this morning, but the rain that fell on it was flash freezing and the grit put on it could do nothing.

Stop giving out bad information, it'll get people killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

neveah wrote: »
    I'm in Little Island and we can see the main dualcarriage way from here, it is completely backed up and the cars are crawling, long delays I would image on both sides heading into and out of Cork. There are a lot of sirens going off as well. Our carpark at work is like an ice rink!!

Update: this is now moving much better, the main back log of traffic seems to have cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Driving tips :
    Keep a good distance from the car in front of you, and if possible all around you.
    If you have traction control, turn it off.
    Keep an ice scraper in the car, or deicing spray.
    If you're going downhill, brake from the top all the way to the bottom steadily reducing you speed in case you need to stop.
    If you're driving an automatic, and it has a cold weather mode, use it!
    If it's a normally occupied road, 20mph is an acceptable speed.
    Avoid residential hills if possible.
    Use your noodle!

Things aren't all that bad, despite the hysteria that the media is trying to create.

Aren't that bad??? I'm only getting into work now because my car did a 360 spin and hit a bank getting off the Sth Link trying to get up on to the exit for Curaheen. There were multiple crashes out on what is a heavily used road.

I know people driving really slowly can be frustrating but I would rather see that morons speeding and overtaking. I will be one of those going really slow on my way home these evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Am I totally mad thinking of driving to Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Gardai forced to close the flyover on the South Ring road due to lethal road conditions - motorists advised to stay off the roads #cork

Did either of you read my posts?

I said ... and I'll repeat it if you didn't see it ... ice is there on unfrequently travelled roads. I'm driving an old automatic long wheel base estate with about 3 tonnes of weight and a trailer. If anyone's going to have trouble driving/stopping, it's probably me. I've just driven from the Airport road (Which everyone's panicking over) to Blackrock, and it's been absolutely fine. Perfectly fine.

I travel to Poland several times a year and drive in conditions far worse than this, so my advice is from experience, not from someone who claims experience based on a few icy days.

Residential estates (As per my post) are bad, and caution is needed, but mild caution is only needed on roads which clearly have grit, and clearly have other people doing 40mph without problems. If there are cars doing 40mph and you're doing 5, the happy medium is somewhere inbetween ... say like ... 20mph like I suggested?

Its no where near as bad as the media hysteria is trying to make out. And yes, I saw crashes too on the way home, but if people actually left a big enough buffer between them and other cars (As per my post also), you can be sure over half would have been avoidable.

Simple rules - don't drive at a walking pace, don't drive at 60mph, keep PLENTY of space between you and other cars, and use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

I was complaining about slow drivers this morning until I hit the South Ring Road. I expected it to have been gritted but it was like Disney on Ice, cars waltzing around each other. We counted 10 cars crashed until we pulled off at Douglas.

The rain is freezing on impact and is incredibly slippery; only the streets in the flat part of Cork City are safe to drive on at normal speed, assume everything else is deadly, and drive as slowly as you think is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Pumpkinseed

anyone know anything about the cork-limerick, road or am I mad as well to think about driving it?

Bah, this is going to descend into a tit-for-tat boards battle. I can sense it in the air ... do whatever you feel you need to do people, ignore anything I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

anyone know anything about the cork-limerick, road or am I mad as well to think about driving it?

Just left it 5 minutes ago, and it was slippery but had improved since earlier. The problem is if it rains it will freeze fast and you might end up stuck near Bruree or somewhere; if you have to travel bring a book and a sleeping bag:)

The link is closed at the moment so I would say traffic is going to be the biggest problem now. Keep an ear to the radio reports, and travel earlier if you can. Follow Paint Doctors tip as well...stay back from cars in front etc, nice steady speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Any word on the buses? Particularly the No 6 from Frankfield into town?

Cork Area(Updated 11:15am)

Cork City Services are operating as normal with the following exceptions:
    Route 3 Farranree – Ballyphehane – not serving Parklands
    Route 6 Grange - South Mall is operating to Douglas only
    Route 7 Donnybrook – Ballyvolane is operating to Douglas only
    Route 14 Wilton S Centre –Patricks St. . is operating to Doughcloyne
    Route 19 South City Orbital Route CIT to Mahon Point is not serving Sarsfield Roa
    Route 221 Cork - Knockraha - service is operating to Riverstown only
    Route 222 Cork Crosshaven - service is not operating via Maryborough Hill
    Route 223 Cork - Haulbowline - service is operating, but not service Carrigmahon or Maulbawn
    Route 224 Cork - Tower/Cloghroe - service is operating
    Route 226 City - Airport - service is cancelled
    Route 232 Cork - Ballincollig - service is operating
    Route 230 Cork – Ballingeary - Service operating as normal
    Route 233 Cork – Macroom - Service operating as normal
    Route 235 Cork-Stuake- Rylane - Service operating as normal
    Route 236 Cork - Bantry/Glengarriff - Service cancelled
    Route 237 Cork - Skibbereen/Goleen -service not operating -(10.00 Skibbereen to Baltimore not operating)
    Route 238 Cork – Butlerstown – not serving Butlerstown
    Route 239 Cork – Bandon - service not operating via crossbarry
    Route 240 Cork – Cloyne - Service operating as normal
    Route 241 Cork – Whitegate - Service operating as normal
    Route 243 Cork-Buttevant- Newmarket - Service operating as normal
    Route 245 Cork – Mitchelstown - Service operating as normal
    Route 246 Cork - Sarsfield's Court - Service operating as normal
    Route 248 Cork -Carrignavar-Glenville - Service operating as normal
    Route 249 Cork – Kinsale – operating to BELGOOLY ONLY
    Route 251 Baltimore – Drimoleague – Service cancelled
    Route 257 Macroom-Millstreet-Killarney – not operating
    Route 260 Cork – Youghal - Service operating as normal
    Route 261 Cork-Ballinacurra - Service operating as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, dangerous driving tips there from the guy who'll fix your bodywork.

:p j/k.

A bit of common sense and we'll all be fine. I was lucky this morning. 4 cars ahead of me on the flyover went into each other, and I managed to screech to a stop after about 50 yards. It was the suddeness that caught people off guard.

Bah, this is going to descend into a tit-for-tat boards battle. I can sense it in the air ... do whatever you feel you need to do people, ignore anything I've said.

No tit for tat.....as I just quoted, your advice is sound in terms of staying back from other cars, common sense etc. Sorry, I'm a little over sensitive after my little spinning car experience. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I was going to do some Christmas shopping in town but had to give up and come home - the footpaths in the Lough/Bandon Road area are deadly.

+1, also the rain that fell in the last hour or two has not frozen, the moisture has just made the existing surface slippy. The fly over is closed because there was few crashes due no doubt to folks not having a clue how to drive in the conditions, rain freezing on impact with the ground, come on folks ffs.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    +1, also the rain that fell in the last hour or two has not frozen, the moisture has just made the existing surface slippy.

I'm sure that little science lesson has made all those who crashed this morning feel much better! :D

Advertisement