Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions 03/12/2010 - Freezing Rain

Options

Comments

corblimey wrote: »
    It was the suddeness that caught people off guard.

+1

Not enough space between cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I'm working out in Rubicon in Bishopstown, think I just overheard CIT is closed now. That will add to traffic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

RoverJames wrote: »
    +1, also the rain that fell in the last hour or two has not frozen, the moisture has just made the existing surface slippy. The fly over is closed because there was few crashes due no doubt to folks not having a clue how to drive in the conditions, rain freezing on impact with the ground, come on folks ffs.

i havent had a near miss, spin or crash...but if i did, as many here have, id be telling you to **** off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was fortunate in that I was in work at 8:15 this morning, well before the rain started. Some of my co-workers had some horrific stories to tell of their morning commutes. Hopefully the drive home won't be too bad this afternoon. As I just said to someone in work, I'm confident enough in my own ability to get home safely. It's all the other road users I'm worried about - people driving too close or panicking and slamming on the brakes.

i havent had a near miss, spin or crash...but if i did, as many here have, id be telling you to **** off:D
    Malice_ wrote: »
    It's all the other road users I'm worried about - people driving too close or panicking and slamming on the brakes.

On a serious note, if you spin a car you really are not driving to the conditions, no excuse at all for it.

• Advertisement

On a serious note, if you spin a car you really are not driving to the conditions, no excuse at all for it.

well seriously, I dont know what I did wrong.....I was actually slowed down anyway because I was taking the exit from the link for curaheen and as I slightly turned left to take it, the car just started sliding. If I had hit my brakes, it would have been worse, just just geared down until it hit the bank.
    Honestly, any advice? And dont be harsh with me or I will start crying (again). :)

You were going too fast me thinks :)

You were going too fast me thinks :)

well I cant argue with you, I must have been. But if I do 5 miles an hour now on the way home you will all be giving out to me! Hahaha....

I'm getting the bus....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Glad I turned around instead of heading into college, do not trust my little fiesta in such conditions(nor my ability to control it:pac:) The roads around Glanmire were starting to get slippy around 9.45. I probably would have ended up in the middle of the South Link when the freezing rain hit, only for I slept in this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mama79

Hey

I'm heading home to Belgooly in the next hour, any ideas which route I should take? Am I better off just heading up airport hill? I'm having visions of myself rolling backwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Airport hill is fine, dropped herself to work this morning and there was no bothers at 9.30 there at the 'worst' of it.

rain again here by cork airport

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mama79

Lovely stuff...thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mutul8

Airport hill is fine, dropped herself to work this morning and there was no bothers at 9.30 there at the 'worst' of it.

heard on the radio the airport hill was closed?? who to believe - the gardai or boards.ie??

my gf lives up top of dbrook hill and she says noone is making it up now. she's had to leave her car at the bottom the last 3days and walk up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

motonette hotel hill???wats it ;like??thinks its called st lukes???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Have to walk to Wilton from UCC later on for work - terrified of the ice on the footpaths, it took 45 minutes to get from Deerpark to UCC earlier in what normally takes me 10 minutes. I have 25 minutes to get there - how bad are conditions out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Here comes the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

rain freezing on impact with the ground, come on folks ffs.

Yeah its meteorological phenomenon called freezing rain. It would be rare for us and would take very unusual conditions possibly like what we have at the mo. Whether that happened or not this morning around Cork is another thing.

I'm sick sh!t of this weather already. Bring back wet and windy winter days. :(

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yeah its meteorological phenomenon called freezing rain. It would be rare for us and would take very unusual conditions possibly like what we have at the mo. Whether that happened or not this morning around Cork is another thing.

or just normal dry cold ones:(

• Advertisement

or just normal dry cold ones:(

or how bout just skip the winter and go straight to summer :D

I know about freezing rain, didn't happen in Cork, the official word is there is now a thaw (from AGS and Met Eireann). Such a swing in temps in 2 hours :pac:

I'm enjoying a bucket of hot chocolate looking out at the ice melting from my shed, things be looking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I'm working out in Rubicon in Bishopstown, think I just overheard CIT is closed now. That will add to traffic. :rolleyes:

CIT is closing at 1pm.

or how bout just skip the winter and go straight to summer :D

well i prefer cold winter nights much more than warm summer ones cos im weird:D next year instead of going to spain in summer, im going to the ardennes in feb and berlin in november :D

the official word is there is now a thaw (from AGS and Met Eireann). Such a swing in temps in 2 hours :pac:

8 degrees in Valentia at 12pm.

They all be headed for the beach ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vemrob

Any idea what the roads are like up around Fermoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

Can anyone tell me what Ballincollig is like?
    My daughter is in school out there and I need to collect her.I will be coming from Grange.

mini1972 wrote: »
    My daughter is in school out there and I need to collect her.I will be coming from Grange.

Link is open again and the temp has risen a fair bit so it is thawing. You should be fine, just be careful, take it handy just in case. Main road in Ballincollig should be grand, I know Model Farm road is no issue at all

• Advertisement

mini1972 wrote: »

Nice town, cinema, couple of restaurants, few shops too! Ba-doom, tish! I'm here all week, try the veal.

Advertisement