Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions 03/12/2010 - Freezing Rain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

mini1972 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Ballincollig is like?
    My daughter is in school out there and I need to collect her.I will be coming from Grange.

I just got off the phone from my father in law in Ballincollig and he says it's not great but it's getting better with the thaw that's on now. What school is it, I got a text from Scoil Mhuire a little while ago saying the school is open until the usual time but you can collect your kids early if you need to due to the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

Thats great.Thansk a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Has anyone travelled from Carrigtwohill to the city in the last while? Must go from there to Blarney then, jesus Im sweating it out thinking of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Has anyone travelled from Carrigtwohill to the city in the last while? Must go from there to Blarney then, jesus Im sweating it out thinking of it

the overpass over the magic rbout was closed this morning so the traffic could be bad but as far as the roads go, they should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Thanks, maybe ill take the city route out to blarney and pray its okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Hoping to get into town by car tonight from Frankfield. Does anyone reckon there's a thaw on or would it be crazy to consider going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Hoping to get into town by car tonight from Frankfield. Does anyone reckon there's a thaw on or would it be crazy to consider going in?

I don't mean to sound patronising but no one is going to be able to tell you what the road conditions are going to be like tonight. Your best bet is to keep an ear on local radio before you need to go. I have 96fm on all day and they are giving very frequent local road conditions.

Good luck. :)

thanks! Not patronising. I've a night out tonight that i've been looking forward to tonight so I want someone to look into the future and tell me...
    Seems like there's a bit of a thaw on now here so fingers crossed.

phi3 wrote: »
    Cork Area(Updated 11:15am)

Cork City Services are operating as normal with the following exceptions:
    Route 3 Farranree – Ballyphehane – not serving Parklands
    Route 6 Grange - South Mall is operating to Douglas only
    Route 7 Donnybrook – Ballyvolane is operating to Douglas only
    Route 14 Wilton S Centre –Patricks St. . is operating to Doughcloyne
    Route 19 South City Orbital Route CIT to Mahon Point is not serving Sarsfield Roa
    Route 221 Cork - Knockraha - service is operating to Riverstown only
    Route 222 Cork Crosshaven - service is not operating via Maryborough Hill
    Route 223 Cork - Haulbowline - service is operating, but not service Carrigmahon or Maulbawn
    Route 224 Cork - Tower/Cloghroe - service is operating
    Route 226 City - Airport - service is cancelled
    Route 232 Cork - Ballincollig - service is operating
    Route 230 Cork – Ballingeary - Service operating as normal
    Route 233 Cork – Macroom - Service operating as normal
    Route 235 Cork-Stuake- Rylane - Service operating as normal
    Route 236 Cork - Bantry/Glengarriff - Service cancelled
    Route 237 Cork - Skibbereen/Goleen -service not operating -(10.00 Skibbereen to Baltimore not operating)
    Route 238 Cork – Butlerstown – not serving Butlerstown
    Route 239 Cork – Bandon - service not operating via crossbarry
    Route 240 Cork – Cloyne - Service operating as normal
    Route 241 Cork – Whitegate - Service operating as normal
    Route 243 Cork-Buttevant- Newmarket - Service operating as normal
    Route 245 Cork – Mitchelstown - Service operating as normal
    Route 246 Cork - Sarsfield's Court - Service operating as normal
    Route 248 Cork -Carrignavar-Glenville - Service operating as normal
    Route 249 Cork – Kinsale – operating to BELGOOLY ONLY
    Route 251 Baltimore – Drimoleague – Service cancelled
    Route 257 Macroom-Millstreet-Killarney – not operating
    Route 260 Cork – Youghal - Service operating as normal
    Route 261 Cork-Ballinacurra - Service operating as normal

Can you tell me where you got this info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Can you tell me where you got this info from?

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=924&month=Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Anyone driven on the Dublin road today? Even as far as Watergrasshill or Fermoy? What's it like?
    Meant to be driving to Dublin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'm up in frankfield too, you'll be fine heading into town, getting back up the hill may be an effort if it gets cold tonight, I think they're gritting the area though, so it'll probably be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

was going to go shoping in dunnes, car door is frozen up solid have de'icer spray that dident work. went out to fill the coal bucket and slipped on my as* ,
    :eek:
    thats me staying at home. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,35767,en.html

Additionally, in response to demands, the City Council is making salt/grit available to residents associations from this afternoon. The collection details are as follows:-

Times:

Friday 2.30pm – 5.00 pm;

Saturday 10am – 4.00pm;

Sunday 10am – 4.00pm;

Locations:

North: Knocknaheeny Avenue off Harbour View Road at ex-Housing Area Office depot.

South: Roads South Depot at Ravenscourt, Skehard Road

Loading Arrangements:

A limited number of sandbags are available at the depots but people are encouraged to bring their own bags/containers if possible. Bags to be self filled but shovels will be available at the depots. People are reminded to exercise due care during the operation.

Supplies are subject to availability of City Council salt stocks and of course continuing cold weather. Continuation of this arrangement will be reviewed on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

thanks! Not patronising. I've a night out tonight that i've been looking forward to tonight so I want someone to look into the future and tell me...
    Seems like there's a bit of a thaw on now here so fingers crossed.

well the number 6 and 7 buses are operating up and down the hill you should be fine!

i was just in wilton (from douglas via the link road) the road is fine the traffic was none! and its usually packed at lunchtime, i think people are avoiding the area....

and for whoever was looking to know about carrigtwohill my Other half is leaving work there in 15 minutes so i can ask him when he gets home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

latest news:
    - Lovers Walk in Cork City is closed between the Middle and Lower Glanmire Rds. Diversion signs are in place.

- The N25 South Ring Rd is passable but with extreme care. There were numerous crashes near the Old Kinsale Flyover this morning.

- Conditions are still bad from Midleton to Cork City. Blackstone Bridge should be avoided.

- The N25 Cork/Midleton Rd at the Carrigtwohill Bypass is passable but with extreme care.

- Avoid the Whitegate/Midleton Rd as Ballinacurra to the Lakeview R/A is impassable. -

In West Cork, hazardous on all approaches to Bandon and around Skibbereen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The roads round the city seem to be fine at the moment, there is quite a thaw on. I am worried what will happen when it starts to freeze again tonight, freezing already wet roads. Could get very dangerous out there folks. Take it handy and don't assume the roads have been gritted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

We all got sent home from work at around 12 today. Had to walk from near Mahon Point to Grange, took nearly an hour with all ice. Skehard Road was like an ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

vemrob wrote: »
    Any idea what the roads are like up around Fermoy?
    Was icy 2 hours ago Now seems to be OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hannahlambda

Anyone know how Donnybrook hill is (or where I can find that out?)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I was driving around the city the past 2 hours, all is fine. Just though its 2 degrees in Mahon Point now, so it will start to freeze in the coming hours and most roads are pretty wet so be careful if ye're out and about later on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 luceyliu

I have to stay on in town until 9 tonight and head to Coachford after. Anyone have any idea when its gonna start to freeze? Hoping I will be able to get home before it gets too bad. The roads are completely wet so its not looking good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Just did the Southlink to tunnel to N25. No major issues, bit slower than usual but that's to be expected. It's freezing out though, and wet from earlier so I'd say there's going to be some dangerous roads tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Just back from city centre, it is nowhere near freezing right now, imagine temp will start to drop as the darkness kicks in, good luck at 9.00.

DERICKOO wrote: »
    was going to go shoping in dunnes, car door is frozen up solid have de'icer spray that dident work. went out to fill the coal bucket and slipped on my as* ,
    :eek:
    thats me staying at home. :D

douglas court? call into me tomorrow evenin in the fruit and veg:D

Anyone know how Donnybrook hill is (or where I can find that out?)?

my gf lives up the top and she got up in her polo no problem and the bus services are operating there again anyway so it should be grand. get up there in the next hour if poss before it freezes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

douglas court? call into me tomorrow evenin in the fruit and veg:D

hodgy??? :eek:

they are saying the black ice will be back from about 6pm, the buses are passing here which means they are going up the hill,

my mum said grange is fine outside of housing estates!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Where abouts is "Knocknaheeny Avenue off Harbor View Road" i tried finding it on google maps but got nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

luceyliu wrote: »
    I have to stay on in town until 9 tonight and head to Coachford after. Anyone have any idea when its gonna start to freeze? Hoping I will be able to get home before it gets too bad. The roads are completely wet so its not looking good. :(

We're off the Whitechurd Road, I jsut got a small skid, so I reckon it's starting to freeze already on the more exposed spots. Coachford Road is lower down but still fairly exposed for most of the way. Take your time, keep your distance, have a warm coat in the car.

Advertisement