Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads in Louth . .

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am supposed to be going with my wife to get our first scan (she is pregnant). We phoned the hospital and the scan is still on.

I live in Bettystown, does anybody know what the roads are like on the way to Our lady of Lourdes hospital ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

not good is the honest answer... havent been out in bettystown but i know the roads in drogheda aint great at all.
    stick to the main roads as much as possible if you do venture out..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

If you can get on the old A1 you have a good chance .. Go SLOW and take your TIME!!!

DO NOT GO VIA DUNACARNEY (Very Iced over) the Hill leading into the village from Mornington is Letal!! Good luck!!

And add lot's of time ... Add an Hour to your Drive to normal time...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for advice.

If it was up to me we would reschedule but my wife is determined to get the scan .

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thanks for advice.

If it was up to me we would reschedule but my wife is determined to get the scan .

Been there too, :D If you know the roads at all... try pick one will as few Hills as Possible... NONE are Gritted or Salted or Ploughed ... From what I seen this morning every road in/out of Bettystown was Bad... Take your time and don't Rush... Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

If you can get through Donycarney drive in by Grangerath and all the roads onwards are fine. The Windmill road at the hospital is dodgy for parking but you should get a spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

If anyone know the roads within Wheaton Hall, the tiny slope (wouldn't call it a hill) inside the estate proved too much for many cars yesterday evening - many of them were half way up and sliding back down so many times, it was unreal. Think I will go out with shovel over the weekend because I don't think there's any plans to grit here.

Snowing so hard at the moment, I can't see across the green! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Know it well, positron!

I think it's the combination of the upward slope and the 90 degree turn at the top that's putting people off! Mind you, I saw a micra head up this evening calm as you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks again everybody for all the tips. Got in and out safely !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Just been out and about the Termonfeckin/Drogheda area,

Sandpit area,carstown,Sheetland rd,Ballymakenny rd,Beaulieu area, compacted snow sheet ice....extreme caution needed.
    All Drogheda main routes inside town boundaries totally good to drive on,foothpaths and housing estates need extreme caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

positron wrote: »
    If anyone know the roads within Wheaton Hall, the tiny slope (wouldn't call it a hill) inside the estate proved too much for many cars yesterday evening - many of them were half way up and sliding back down so many times, it was unreal. Think I will go out with shovel over the weekend because I don't think there's any plans to grit here.

Snowing so hard at the moment, I can't see across the green! :D

My car done a nice drift here the other day. Was awsome till i went up on the kerb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Minor roads slippy today. OT but I saw the most bizarre crash this morning on the M1 in a tailback from the last Balbriggan junction doing no more than 5 MPH. A guy in a Micra still managed to crash into the guy in front in a Landrover Disco. I couldn't believe it could happen at that speed with clear visibility etc. I reckon the guy fell asleep as he was veering over into the other lane also but he wasn't changing lane. Micra looked fairly damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Main streets in Dundalk absolutely treacherous and it's not on. Park St, Clanbrassil St, Dublin st, long walk...all worse than bad and no sign of anything being done to clear them before the re-freeze.
    Sh*thead pedestrians wandering out to cross them at random points, and no traction for braking whatsoever. I didn't even chance any of the side streets or hill st bridge.
    Is it too much to ask to have the 3-4 miles of main town streets somewhat clear of snow and slush?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Wertz wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask to have the 3-4 miles of main town streets somewhat clear of snow and slush?

Yes snow and slush are hard to clear but ice should be easily dealt with by slating and gritting, snow and slow would have to be physically removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

draffodx wrote: »
    Yes snow and slush are hard to clear but ice should be easily dealt with by slating and gritting, snow and slow would have to be physically removed.

Yes, it's too much to ask? Or Yes, you agree with me?

I passed a (private) snowplough on the ecco rd about an hour ago and a gritting lorry about 100m behind....that's what should have been doing the rounds of the town, but with the state of the main streets, it obviously hasn't.
    I know snow and slush are tough to move (been clearing my drive and paths for the last week' ice is in fact much harder to shift witout grit), but if you remove the bulk of it and grit the underlying ice it gives drivers a chance....what you have now is snow/slush beng compacted down, two tyre ruts and 3 ridges of solid slush that if you put a wheel over will either pull you into parked cars or the oncoming lane. That might be understandable on the side streets or on any place you care to mention outside of town, but in the main streets of a large town it's not on.
    Such conditions also effect pedestrians crossing those streets and if they fall in front of a car neither thye nor the driver has a chance...outside the Main PO was one such place...lots more in Park st.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I agree with you but have some tolerance that the snow is more difficult to remove, however the snow was gone on main roads last Sunday and the ice was not dealt with which was disgraceful.

Advertisement