Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find anywhere to rent

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm returning home on the 16th of this month and for 2 months now we've been searching for a place in Ashbourne/Ratoath in meath at this stage we'd consider Finglas too
    And so far nothing I don't know what to do. Our families have full up houses and theres no where for us to go.
    Our budget is small up to 700 a month. We actually want it to be 550 as this is the max rent allowance.
    And it needs to be Ground floor as I'll be over four months pregnant with twins when we get back and I have pregnancy complications which won't allow for a stairs.
    We're a really normal quiet couple no pets,non smokers,don't drink but I guess none of that matters in a rental shortage. It's just terrifying the idea of being homeless.
    Theres no option to stay where we are it would be a danger to our health to do so.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm returning home on the 16th of this month and for 2 months now we've been searching for a place in Ashbourne/Ratoath in meath at this stage we'd consider Finglas too
    And so far nothing I don't know what to do. Our families have full up houses and theres no where for us to go.
    Our budget is small up to 700 a month. We actually want it to be 550 as this is the max rent allowance.
    And it needs to be Ground floor as I'll be over four months pregnant with twins when we get back and I have pregnancy complications which won't allow for a stairs.
    We're a really normal quiet couple no pets,non smokers,don't drink but I guess none of that matters in a rental shortage. It's just terrifying the idea of being homeless.
    Theres no option to stay where we are it would be a danger to our health to do so.

550 is the max in Meath for a couple, for a person/couple with two children the max is €700 per month, and on top of that you are expected to pay at least 24 euro a week out of your social welfare. That would bring your budget with the children up to at least 800 per month /650-700 without them,and there are several 2 bed apartments in Ashbourne on Daft at the moment for 700 a month.

Where are you returning home from? Rules regarding rent allowance have changed here in the past year, you have to be on the housing list and renting for six months prior to being eligible plus there are habitual residency rules to fulfil.

See http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

edit: put in wrong rate for a couple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hotais

Are you guys married? Unemployed? Surely to god there should be somewhere out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stheno wrote: »
    550 is the max in Meath for a couple, for a person/couple with two children the max is €700 per month,
    This is the maximum rent, not the amount paid in rent allowance, i.e. it includes the tenant's contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op, I just went onto daft, take a look at the below!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=988551

Rents outside Dublin are so affordable!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres no rental shortage. Look on Daft and Im sure youll find lots of places you can afford. Bear in mind that there is always leeway on the advertised price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Victor wrote: »
    This is the maximum rent, not the amount paid in rent allowance, i.e. it includes the tenant's contribution.

Thanks! I read it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FutureMom2Two

We had rent allowance until mid august.
    We then didn't rent for a bit and we've been abroad for a couple of months( don't know if we should tell them this but surely that doesn't breach habitual residence i hope?
    We are both unemployed and married. We are on the housing waiting list now for about 18 months.
    Idbatterim thanks for the link which if anyone clicks they will now see its gone:(
    I had called this and organized someone to view it in fact my parents offered them 6 months rent up front in cash as on incentive to get the place,
    which was ideal for us, good price, good location ,ground floor.
    But despite promising that we 'had it' they let someone else view who apparently offered a year up front so that was that.
    We lost out on another great place a few weeks ago was gone within 4 hours of the ad being put. Times running out and I was checking daft 3 times a day but from now on I'll be glued to it as obviously 3 times a day is not enough:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

We lost out on another great place a few weeks ago was gone within 4 hours of the ad being put. Times running out and I was checking daft 3 times a day but from now on I'll be glued to it as obviously 3 times a day is not enough:(
    You should set up an alert so that you will be emailed as soon as a suitable property is added.
    Put in your search criteria as normal, then look just above the first result, there is a link there to create an email alert.

Thanks Wench

So embarassing
    I didn't see that before I've now set up the email alerts.

Well just to update we still can't find a place :(
    We're currently in temporary accomadation which is outside ashbourne and costs 650 a month for a one bed no chance for rent allowance. I'm confined to the bedroom as the sofas only a tiny two seater and I'm getting closer to 6 months pregnant with the twins.
    Can't stay here as the landlord has bookings for May already and I'm due in May:eek:
    The prices just rocketed in January nearly all two beds are 750 plus more and more coming in at 800:eek:. I dont know if there achieving these prices but in contact with the agents their refusing to drop the prices.
    If anyone sees anything up to 700,
    2 beds ground floor in the Ashbourne area please let me know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement