Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why people don't clear the snow off their properties?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sweet jebus I hate that rolleyes smiley.

There's not enough footfall on our street to compact the snow that much. Still plenty of grip on the snow. Like I said, if I start slipping and sliding on the way out my door, I'll do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Goodshape wrote: »
    Sweet jebus I hate that rolleyes smiley.

There's not enough footfall on our street to compact the snow that much. Still plenty of grip on the snow. Like I said, if I start slipping and sliding on the way out my door, I'll do something about it.

I couldnt be ar*ed to be honest it'll melt soon enough,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I couldnt be ar*ed to be honest it'll melt soon enough,

Yeah-in April.After you've fallen a dozen times,it's not that hard work anyway.Just lift the ice with a shovel and away you go,the ground underneath is dry as any moisture is frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

zerks wrote: »
    Yeah-in April.After you've fallen a dozen times,it's not that hard work anyway.Just lift the ice with a shovel and away you go,the ground underneath is dry as any moisture is frozen.

If its so easy, do it for him yourself.

emmetmcl wrote: »
    If its so easy, do it for him yourself.

Done my own thanks.The neighbours chipped in and we cleared the whole stretch of path outside all our properties.Rather a bit of work than broken limbs.How did your snow clearing go?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

In front of our house is cleared of ice for pedestrians walking by, and our next door neighbours, but nobody else on the road has cleared the footpath in front of their houses! And there are around 42 houses on the road! It doesn't take that long and makes a big difference to everybody. How can any able-bodied person expect someone else to do the clearing for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

@zerks: If it is so easy why did you need help?, and I havent cleared the snow or ice.

@RandolphEsq: People dont expect others to do it for them, they just dont care about it.

emmetmcl wrote: »
    @zerks: If it is so easy why did you need help?, and I havent cleared the snow or ice.

Didn't need help-Read my post again.We cleared the whole street together,nothing like a bit of community spirit.Some people would rather look out and hope somebody else would do it.Lazy much?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I cleared part of the path outside my house, but very few others did. With good reason too - nobody has a garden and therefore nobody has any garden tools! :D

I went around on Saturday to buy one, but every hardware in my area was sold out of spades, so I had to borrow one from my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No point in clearing it away now, the rain is washing it away. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

seamus wrote: »
    I cleared part of the path outside my house, but very few others did. With good reason too - nobody has a garden and therefore nobody has any garden tools! :D

I went around on Saturday to buy one, but every hardware in my area was sold out of spades, so I had to borrow one from my brother.

Lol I borrowed one from my three year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Be careful clearing snow guys.....if its not done properly (if someone falls on it after your clearing attempt) your liable where let council do it or leave as is then they're liable. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Done mine again today, third time now in the last few days.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Be careful clearing snow guys.....if its not done properly (if someone falls on it after your clearing attempt) your liable where let council do it or leave as is then they're liable. I think.

False: The government made an announcement about this last week.Nobody will be held liable for an accident if they clear outside their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

False: The government made an announcement about this last week.Nobody will be held liable for an accident if they properly clear outside their property.

FYP in bold based on the ACTUAL quote from the Dáil last Wednesday:
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2010-12-01.123.0#g226.0

Ifs and buts do not constitute a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Galway K9 wrote: »
    False: The government made an announcement about this last week.Nobody will be held liable for an accident if they clear outside their property.
    Discussion here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108118

It's not cut-and-dried in either direction really.

I hate the 'where there's blame,there's claim' mentality that has hit society,what happens if someone falls on a summers day-do they claim that outside your property was too warm? We all know ice is slippy and try to take care accordingly,the amount of people I've seen wearing the most unsuitable footwear is amazing.
    Anyhow if there's no witnesses just slide them out onto the road and deny everything.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyhow if there's no witnesses just slide them out onto the road and deny everything.:D
    Or just deny doing it, others have posted they did it for elderly neighbours, whats to stop you claiming somebody else did the deed.
    The issue of liability does not arise for snow that is cleared in a safe manner. If a pavement is cleared in a manner that disposes of snow so as not to create any obstacle or hazard, there is no issue of liability. I think common sense prevails.
    As said in that linked legal thread common sense has no place in courts! A seemingly clear area with a thin layer of ice could be more hazardous than an area obviously covered in snow/ice (as I nurse my hip from falling on such a patch last night!) If people with good intentions poured hot water down and created ice are they liable. If a person begins digging, puts in 2 hours work and is exhausted before they can finish -and leaves a big ice step people can trip on are they liable?

Anyone that pours water on the ground in freezing temperatures is a moron and deserves a kick in the nuts.Just use salt people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I remember we used to pour buckets and buckets of water when we were younger in Dublin to run and slide, I suppose that tradition is gone then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Anyone that pours water on the ground in freezing temperatures is a moron and deserves a kick in the nuts.Just use salt people.

Using just salt on a couple of cm of snow will do almost nothing. Use a spade/shovel or hot water to clear it, and THEN use salt to prevent refreezing.

Using just salt on a couple of cm of snow will do almost nothing. Use a spade/shovel or hot water to clear it, and THEN use salt to prevent refreezing.

That's what I meant,suppose I should have made it clearer.Assumed people know that you gotta clear the snow 1st.Sleet fell here today and froze,it's lethal,I spread dishwasher salt around the path at my door and it's fine thank god.The road where the snow is gone is another matter.

Advertisement