Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price comparison in Enniscorthy shops

Options
  • 03-12-2010 12:03pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Went looking for a pair of Wellingtons for the young lad yesterday Dunne stores were sold out so we called in to a Shoe shop and was told that they are €20. €20 for a pair of childs wellyboots Anyhow we called into another shoe shop on Slaney street and the children's Wellingtons were €12 and adults were €15.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I always say if you shop around you can pay more for something. That said, the bad weather and the poor Euro/Sterling exchange rate has lead to me buying two DVD boxed sets and a Wii package in town - cheaper than I could have got them online. Something of a first for me as I usually price things locally then buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

I'm making a really conscious effort to buy Irish/buy from Irish retailers this year. If it goes some way towards keeping someone in a job, then we've done a good deed this Christmas.

I live in Dublin now, however when I travel home to Enniscorthy it never ceases to shock and annoy me at the state of the town. Surely more could be done to encourage entrepreneurship in the town? I don't think Enniscorthy is suited to the UK type high street stores, nor would I like to see an influx of River Island/Boots type stores to the town. (even if the job creation would be very welcome)

There are some fantastic stores around the town that honestly kick Dublin retailers out of the competition when it comes to pricing and customer service. Bourkes Jewellers, Smyths, Doyles butchers.... the list goes on. These are great shops that I visit time and time again and bring items back to Dublin. If I had the capital I'd love to work some magic on the old Dunnes site, bring some life back into the town and create some badly needed jobs.

I will be doing as much Christmas shopping as I can in Enniscorthy this year. Christmas is a time that really highlights the gaps in the market in the town, think what you want to buy as gifts or for entertaining....can you get it in town? Most likely the answer is no. I'd love to change that :)

Advertisement