Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey to Courtown ??? Safe to drive ?

Options
  • 03-12-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Hi there all in wexfordLand. I am wondering if or when It will be possible to drive to Riverchapel from Gorey? My mum would like to get home from Dublin. I read it is very bad but its nice to hear from people directly. Many Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's not un drivable or anything but I personally wouldn't take the chance, as you probably know the main road is still closed off at the bridge so she would be driving on the diversion. It's been snowing here for the last hour or so but it seems to be turning increasingly to rain so I would say by the time she gets here she might be driving on very nasty slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Dublin city was great as most of the snow gone from the roads. How is wexford doing ?

Any know if this road is open today?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

gar32 wrote: »
    Any know if this road is open today?

Thank you

I think you misinterpreted my post, the main road from Gorey to Courtown has been closed long before the snow for repairs at the bridge and isn't going to open anytime soon.
    To get into Courtown/Riverchapel you take a diversion out the mill road. The diversion is a poor road at the best of times and it would be very tough going getting through and several cars have ended up in the ditch along it. There is also a very large hill along it which I have avoided completely. The way I have been going is out towards Ballycanew and taking the left before coming into the village. I haven't been along it today so I can't tell you the exact conditions but it was still pretty hairy yesterday. After saying that though there has been a nice thaw on today so it might not be too bad.

Edit- was told by someone that the main route for the diversion was actually closed at that hill, don't know if it still is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

the fire brigade got called to riverchapel last night, the other driver said its very dangerous. the whole back road was covered in snow, think the coco have abandoned courtown. big thaw out today may have helped or improved conditions slightly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Best way is out to Smiths Cross(first left after Springmount Garden Centre), then through Ballinakill and Middletown to Riverchapel. The road has had some gritting but is dodgy in places. Get in to as high a gear as you can and drive steadily, what gets most people into trouble is braking and then trying to start again in first. If you do this on a hill and get stuck then everything behind you will get stuck as well.

Thanks all :) My Mum got home at 2pm today. Slow but safe is what she said. Drive safe people & thatnks for the replys :)

Seems we are in the same place as before. Any way to courtown? Seems like icey roads again. Any one able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The snow is compacted and we're to have a thaw in the next few days,even so take care as black ice is a serious problem.Slow and steady especially on back roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

They did an excellent job on the road from Smith's Cross to Riverchapel yesterday. Care is still needed but it's driveable.
    Can I just suggest to anybody who is not confident driving in these conditions, "stay at home", you are only causing more problems on the roads.

• Advertisement

Did not risk it Yesterday hoping things will melt today :)

thanks again people

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rubiee

How is this road now? I need to go from Gorey to past Ardamine tomorrow morning?

Advertisement