Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Connectors - Wall Face Plates

Options
  • 03-12-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Doing a bit of rewiring and will be chasing walls to put in single back boxes with Face Plates for Audio/Video/Networking inputs in most rooms to hopefully run any cabling that suits while leaving the option to change at will when needed.

Leading to the sockets will be 2 X 20mm round Conduit to the Attic for handy routing elsewhere (House is a Bungalow)

The conduit is round to allow for successful re plastering as larger rectangular ones would not allow any depth for plaster infill etc.

First off all any comments appreciated re. this - If there's any drawbacks I'd like to get your advice so I can do it right!

- The obvious ones are things like Scart cables (Now legacy really) that simply couldn't be fished through......

Also It would probably suit best to custom make the Face Plates from Blanks using insert components to make them up exactly as needed? Eg 1 X RJ45 1 X F Connector and 1 X Coax etc But not sure how to get what I need - suppose somewhere like Radionics Catalogue might be a start but would love to hear form anyone who knows the best way of doing this.....

Some examples of the ready made ones are as below.

rca+%20aerila+%20ftype%20wall%20plate%20small.jpghdmi%20wall%20plate%20flush.jpgsvga%20and%20rca%20no%20soldering%20wall%20plate%20%281000%20x%20750%29%2011copy.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

If anyone is interested - This seems to be the place to go !!!

50-3071-Pv.jpg

50-3128.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What is your application - why do you need plates at all? Things like networking points are a great idea, something I sincerely wish we'd done during the build 10 years ago instead of having to retrofit them. But HDMI plates, composite feeds - where are they coming from that necessitates conduit and plates instead of a direct connection?

We recently did up the living room and were considering these plates, but then we decided they were too much hassle and it was easier to put a bit of forethought into the right cabinet in the right location and just run direct cables through conduit tubing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for your reply.

- Short answer is I have no immediate need, at the minute I am just trying to do it right from the outset and have no regrets or need to retrofit.

For example someone I know in a new House had one coax run in Sitting room behind TV and then had to run a second up the front of the House to get Sky+

From the outset I would like a 2 Gang Double F Connector and RJ45 + RJ11 behind all TV points and a 1 Gang Face Plate in all rooms with RJ45 plus F Connector or similar.

- For me the attraction is that it should be future proof as anything can be run and the Face Plates are so varied and available etc.

P.S. The pics above were me getting all enthusiastic about the possibilities and were just examples really - I understand how ya might have been looking at them and saying what in the name of God is he at!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Wouldn't recommend HDMI faceplates - you're better off with uninterrupted cables runs especially in lengths over 3 metres to avoid signal degradation.
    Same applies to satellite coax cables coming in from the dish.

Have you considered brush strip faceplates?

Advertisement