Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry Essay Question

• 03-12-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey guys, first time posting here (though I've been visiting the site for a year :p) I have a question regarding the Poetry question. Does anybody know if there is a recommended number of poems to explore in your answer? My teacher says 5, but I've got notes from last years saying you only need to explore 3 poems, so now I'm confused! Anyone know if I could still achieve full marks from only 3 poems? Would greatly appreciate your response. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

You have to study 6 poems from each poet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

“Students at Higher Level will be required to study a representative selection from
    the work of eight poets: a representative selection would seek to reflect the range of
    a poet’s themes and interests and exhibit his/her characteristic style and viewpoint.
    Normally the study of at least six poems by each poet would be expected.”
    Note that, in the case of each poet, the candidates have the freedom of choice in
    relation to the poems studied.
    Note that there is
    not a finite list of any ‘poet’s themes and interests’.
    Note that, in responding to the question set on any given poet, the candidates must
    refer to poem/s they have studied but they are
    not required to refer to any specific
    poem/s, nor are they expected to discuss or refer to all the poems they have
    chosen to study.
    In each of the questions in Prescribed Poetry the underlying nature of the task is
    the invitation to the candidates to
    engage with the poems themselves.

Basically,an examiner isn't looking for a specific number of poems to be used in each question but rather what is relevant to each question,uasually the basic requirement would be three referals,many teachers do however command five due to the simple fact that if a teacher tells you to learn five you will generally learn three.
    This will be seen throughout all of the english course as you will be told essay's at home should be 4 1/2 to 5 A4 pages,as the teachers experience will lead to believe that in an exam situation you will write less than were told!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kedo93

Thanks man, I find it tedious to squeeze out a detailed response to 5 five poems from one poet, especially that Hopkins chap! I think in the actual leaving I'll be covering 3 but for the mean time I'll stick to 5 just to shut our teacher up :L

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

We were told to cover 3 in detail but mention 2 more almost in passing just so you show a variety of learning. It makes the examiner see that you did more than learn 3 poems and just fit them into the question.

Advertisement