Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas celebrations/ rituals

• 03-12-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm hoping people here can help me with ideas.

I am looking for spiritual ways to celebrate christmas that don't involve attending Mass
    I haven't attended mass since the publication of the Murphy/ Ryan reports but I miss the sense of a shared/ spiritual celebration.
    I'd love to attend some gathering to recognise and celebrate this time of year and give a sense of occasion.
    I'd also like to entice my teenage son to attend something also so any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did jesus not say where ever 2 ot 3 are gathered in my name I am there?
    Why not have your own small gathering and light candles and say prayers and do readings.
    There are carol services around the country that you can attend instead of a mass or if you are disillusioned with the roman catholic church you could attend a christmas day service in the church of Ireland close to you, they are happy to have visitor esp other christians and you don't have to receive if you attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

thanks thaeladyl
    it' wouldn't have to be a christian service at all, i suppose i just miss the sense of occasion that xmas mass gave, a sense of community i suppose.

I'd be happy to attend a new age/ solstice/ meditation etc event that celebrates the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 C_Scan

Hi carlmon,

What part of the country are you in? There are lots of exciting events happening :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

hi I'm in Dublin and would love to hear about what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 C_Scan

Hi Carolmon,

There will be a lovely "Twin Hearts Meditation" this Friday 17th in The Belvedere Hotel on Great Denmark Street at 6:30. I am in Limerick but will travel up for it.

There will also be an online "talk" on Christmas and it's deeper meaning, streamed online from www.pranichealing.com

I hope you enjoy the season and may you and your family be Blessed with radiant good health and abundance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

How about celebrating something from something that was here before Christianity?

http://paganfederationireland.webs.com/upcomingevents.htm

:-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Just a little suggestion for you and your son. Walk around Dublin on Christmas day and stop and chat with any of the homeless people there. Find out if you are in a position to be of any assistance to their situation. Be positive and help from the Heart. I'd suggest a few prayers or an hour of meditation before heading out and this I feel could really teach you and your son to have a genuine understanding of Christmas :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, if you are interested in alternative yuletime customs/celebrations, then it's a big thing to remember and celebrate your deceased family/ancestors in Northern European cultures. You will see candles lighting at grave sides and an extra place set at the dinner table to remember those who have gone before us. This can be incorporated into your religious beliefs or can be purely secular.

Advertisement