Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cross country skiing

• 03-12-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Is it possible on the untreated snow through the fields we have here, or does the snow really have to be compacted properly and smoothed out first for the skating, or grooved for Nordic? Just walking home through Phoenix Park yesterday and was thinking the place is absolutely perfect for it, but the snow was possibly a bit deep and too soft in places. Whenever on a ski holiday I always allow 1 day to for either Nordic or skating and while it's tough, I thought it was brilliant.

Anyone tried it here? Was it a waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

I leave my skis in Norway but if i had them here i would try for sure, particularly in the wicklow area. I will bring my skis home with me next time, although i will probably jinx the weather by doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

I'd say untreated snow would be fine for a bit of cross-country but only if the surface of the snow is hard enough to support the weight of you and your skiis? You'd normally need a combination of thaw and re-freeze to create that hard surface. Phoenix park would be brill for bit of skiing, plenty of open space :)

I've done some cross-country skiing on frozen lakes back home when the snow conditions are just right. You dont really need to have a track or anything ready for that.I've also left my skiis back home, thought that I'd never need them in Ireland, little did I know :D

Advertisement