Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scopes and snow

Options
  • 03-12-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Was out shooting the day we had our first fall of snow and the 22wmr was bang on.
    Was out yesterday and spotted a target out in the field got within 50yds and bang missed.
    Could not see were the bullet was landing took about 6 shots and nothing hit.So shot high,low,left and right in the end the target must of thought feck this i'm outa here.
    so does the temp effect your scope or is it just a case it may have got a knock it's not the first time it has heppend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

lee70 wrote: »
    Was out shooting the day we had our first fall of snow and the 22wmr was bang on.
    Was out yesterday and spotted a target out in the field got within 50yds and bang missed.
    Could not see were the bullet was landing took about 6 shots and nothing hit.So shot high,low,left and right in the end the target must of thought feck this i'm outa here.
    so does the temp effect your scope or is it just a case it may have got a knock it's not the first time it has heppend.

Was the snow falling at the time?
    I popped a crow @ 150 yards the other day in a Blizzard, I aimed @ his head/neck and hit his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Was the snow falling at the time?
    I popped a crow @ 150 yards the other day in a Blizzard, I aimed @ his head/neck and hit his neck.
    no.but it was very cold there was only loads of it on the ground

no.but it was very cold there was only loads of it on the ground

If you go chasing Zero you will never find it.
    Fire @50 if you don't see a strike mark take the same point of aim and fire again.
    If still wondering and have nobody to spot for you, then bring her in to 25 yards
    Fire another 3 times to get mean/average point of impact.

You should be able to see the strikes @25yards no problem, make sure it is a large target area.
    Your scope may be loose as snow has very little affect on bullets, except when it hits them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........ or is it just a case it may have got a knock it's not the first time it has heppend.

There is your problem. You may re-zero the scope. Most scopes have Nitrogen gas in them which has a freezing point of somewhere in the -200 degree mark.

Anyway, set up your rifle aiming at a target. Clamp it. Remove bolt and bore check the barrels aim in relation to the scopes aim. Do this at 25yds so you can see the target clearly.

Adjust the rifle so that the barrel is aiming directly at the "bull" on the target. Without moving the rifle look through the scope. Adjust the crosshairs to the bull. Put bolt back in and fire a shot. Adjust scope if necesary and fire a couple of more shots adjusting until your scope is back on zero.

Set up another target at your required zero distance and dial up until your rifle is on zero. When you have it zeroed check that all screws on the rings/mounts/bases are tightened.

Then try not to bang it again.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

If you go chasing Zero you will never find it.
    Fire @50 if you don't see a strike mark take the same point of aim and fire again.
    If still wondering and have nobody to spot for you, then bring her in to 25 yards
    Fire another 3 times to get mean/average point of impact.

You should be able to see the strikes @25yards no problem, make sure it is a large target area.
    Your scope may be loose as snow has very little affect on bullets, except when it hits them.
    I setup the scope back in sep it was bang on at 50yds. it was shooting grand untill yesterday.
    How often should you check it for zero

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Personally i always fire a couple (2-3) to check zero once a month, but if the scope got a bang or knock i would check it straight away or asap. Definitely before going out again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bikerboy77

Could it been that the barrel was frozen??

bikerboy77 wrote: »

No, take more then a few degrees below zero to deviate a shot substantially.

bikerboy77 wrote: »
    I did think that. Went out yesterday to rezero was getting a 1 inch group at 100yds could be better but left it at that thanks for the input anyway.

Advertisement