Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dubai Thread [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Jude13 wrote: »
    We tend to hang out at home, have friend over and have a braai..

Better stop hanging out with those Saffas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cheers wuffly, loads to think about. Need to get the Mrs a job now and then sort mine out.

Bluefoam, the majority of my pals here in the last 6 yrs are Saffers alright. I braai seems more like a day long event and obviously using wood or charcoal. The aussies I know tend to use gas and its more of a burger thing whilst having a beer.

I am big fan of smoking a brisket etc so I guess that might rule out some towers. Can you have a braai/bbq on the balcony?

Officially no, in apartments. I know a couple of people who use a small charcoal bbq... And one guy who uses an electrical one that he believes gets him past the restrictions... Best option is to have a balcony sheltered from view...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Noooo, I couldn't live without my Braai/BBQ set up. I cook most evenings on it. Save cleaning the cooker.

There seem to be an abundance of 2 beds in Dubai marina in the 120K to 135k region.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Technically no bbq'ing on balconies but lots of people do, unless you annoy the neighbours you won't have a problem. We had a gas bbq and had no issues, just had to meet the gas guy to get the cylinder.
    Didn't realise how much the marina rents had come down, had a load of friends move out of there last year as the 2beds were hitting 140/150 the traffic was brutal for ages though when they were putting in the tram.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

A great big fire in The Torch (one of the Marina skyscrapers) last night. Second skyscraper fire that I know of in Dubai since 2012.

I'd never live in a high-rise here. I just don't have enough confidence in other people in this city not to do something that would get me killed (which is also why I minimize driving on the crazy roads here!).

We had friends in that tower, thankfully on a low floor. A few others just moved from the 80th floor a few weeks ago, very lucky. Happy to be back on the ground floor ourselves. We were evacuated twice in executive towers. While we were there the AC controller went up in flames one day when we were in the apartment. Never left the ac on unattended since, can't make everyone do this though. Its all down to building management, the civil defense here are actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

You absolutely need to get a job before you go. Everything else, including a housing allowance to pay for rent, follows from that. English is the lingua franca.

You also need to think about how you and your boyfriend will manage logistically in a country where cohabiting and fornicating will make you both criminals in the eyes of the law and subject to jail and deportation....a lot of people do it and for the most part get away with it - but you should know the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I'll say this time and time again, Dubai isn't somewhere to go for the "craic". It's seriously expensive so you'll seriously need to work and work hard. I'm not sure what you do but anything other than management level and up you're not talking great money wise. It's a work hard play hard place.

If you have plenty of experience in your given field it should be easier. There's plenty of job boards out there like gulf talent, Naukrigulf which will have jobs on it. Most employers will be happy enough to do Skype interviews etc. Most people have to serve a months notice out here so availability is a big selling point. If you're available it's a bonus.

A lot of places look for rent up fron, or maybe in 2 pre dated cheques, or some maybe over the course of the year. It just depends to be honest, and I'd imagine who you are working for and if they provide an allowance or not.

You can arrive into Dubai and get a visa on entry (I'm assuming you're Irish?). Also do research into where you're looking to live. Some places seem cheaper are probably cheaper for a reason. And Dubai is huge, so getting from one area to another could take a while - taxis are cheap though.

Best of luck, keep posting questions.

• Advertisement

I'm actually moving myself to Dubai now next month. I'm looking at JLT area as my work will be in the area. Has anyone got any experience with JLT? Good bad indifferent?

No issue regarding language
    Don't move without a job, you will only get a 30 day tourist visa(renewable by doing border runs), its an expensive place to be be with no income
    Rent is paid anything from quarterly to annually, you cannot get a lease without a residence visa, to get a residence visa you need to have a job or be married to someone with a job that can sponsor you.
    You should be married to live together
    You keep asking the same questions are you actually serious about moving here?

cabla wrote: »
    I'm actually moving myself to Dubai now next month. I'm looking at JLT area as my work will be in the area. Has anyone got any experience with JLT? Good bad indifferent?

JLT isn't bad the roads have improved a lot and I believe traffic is better, although if you are working there this shouldn't be an issue, its the getting in and out at peak times that was an issue. JLT has a metro stop, which is pretty handy for getting about if you don't get a car to begin with. Check out expatwoman or expatforum for apartment building reviews, I know of some that have issues with the AC etc.. You may have heard recently about a fire in a high rise in the Marina, there was one 2yrs ago in JLT. Personally as someone that works in safety I would recommend living no higher than the 10th floor of any high rise. As an area JLT has plenty of amenities, shops, hotels with restaurants & bars, and handy if you work at this end of town. The Rip Tide Movement are playing a free gig in McGettigans on the 28th March if you are here by then :) Good luck with the move

wuffly wrote: »
    JLT isn't bad the roads have improved a lot and I believe traffic is better, although if you are working there this shouldn't be an issue, its the getting in and out at peak times that was an issue. JLT has a metro stop, which is pretty handy for getting about if you don't get a car to begin with. Check out expatwoman or expatforum for apartment building reviews, I know of some that have issues with the AC etc.. You may have heard recently about a fire in a high rise in the Marina, there was one 2yrs ago in JLT. Personally as someone that works in safety I would recommend living no higher than the 10th floor of any high rise. As an area JLT has plenty of amenities, shops, hotels with restaurants & bars, and handy if you work at this end of town. The Rip Tide Movement are playing a free gig in McGettigans on the 28th March if you are here by then :) Good luck with the move

I'm over quite a bit so I may be. I was at Ed there on the weekend - good show. Good thought about the high rise. Ye I knew a few lads from the Bahrain rugby team were staying with a friend there but luckily managed to not get harmed.

I'm looking at around max budget of 120,000 per annum. Preferrably furnished if not I'd want something a bit cheaper obviously. Do you have any recommendations or areas. Definitely need a pool at least. A friend lives in JBR which is an absolute nightmare so not interested in that area.

http://tnydu.biz/DfBFdqf
    http://tnydu.biz/DfBFphm
    I've had friends live in both of these buildings and loved it, the traffic in the marina is brutal tho, if you metro/walk it wont be so much of an issue.
    The greens is lovely but can't see anything furnished in your price range.
    I've only lived in Business Bay and now Jebel Ali. Loved it, it was close to my work, close to downtown had the metro, 20mins from airport. We lived there before it had roads so it was very cheap, now its pricer but still good value i think, just a bit of a drive if you are working in JLT.

http://tnydu.biz/DfBFdqf
    http://tnydu.biz/DfBFphm
    I've had friends live in both of these buildings and loved it, the traffic in the marina is brutal tho, if you metro/walk it wont be so much of an issue.
    The greens is lovely but can't see anything furnished in your price range.
    I've only lived in Business Bay and now Jebel Ali. Loved it, it was close to my work, close to downtown had the metro, 20mins from airport. We lived there before it had roads so it was very cheap, now its pricer but still good value i think, just a bit of a drive if you are working in JLT.

Thos links aren't working, maybe because I'm in Saudi. It's taking me straight to Dubizzle Saudi. Can you send the full link?

I had a look at The Greens but wasn't overly impressed to be honest. Small apartments and don't seem finished that well to be honest. It is a nice area though.

How is Jebel Ali, it's not far to JLT really from there.

http://dubai.dubizzle.com/property-for-rent/residential/apartmentflat/2015/2/14/fully-furnished-1-bedroom-in-marina-quays-2/
    http://dubai.dubizzle.com/property-for-rent/residential/apartmentflat/2015/3/3/lovely-1-br-with-retail-in-the-building-in-2/
    Hope these work.
    Anyone I've know that lived in the greens loved it. Like anywhere I guess its hit and miss.
    We are in Jebel Ali Village, love it. Traffic is not the best in the evenings but once I leave the office on time its grand. The gardens is supposed to be pretty good but it never shows up on dubizzle, might be worth checking with Nakheel tho. Know a few people that were pretty happy in Discovery gardens, the place has a bad rep tho.

They work alright, thank you! - I think I'm going to try stay away from the Marina though. I may look at Jebel Ali, seems like you can get more for your money there and I'm planning on getting a car too. Anywhere in particular good to look at in Jebel Ali?

Try and avoid places in DIP & Freezone, the DIP roundabout is awful. ReemRam is very poorly constructed from what I have heard. (Apartments smelling of sewerage and the like, bit like international city). There are some places being advertised as JA but they are miles out, some about 20k from us and we are just after Ibn Battuta. If you don't mind being a bit out. There are some nice places on Jumeriah Village Circle/Triangle but I don't know if the amenities are finished. Motor city is also pretty good the apartments are quiet large. One of the guys on here lives in Silicon Oasis and as far as i know is pretty happy out there, a colleague used to live there and loved it.

Thanks Wuffly. To be honest for the money, it doesn't seem like you get much. Seems like Ireland in the boom time, build it and build it quickly... if we build it, they will come!

JVC and JVT are nice, actually perfect but as you said it's just the place, I don't think there's any pools or the like...

• Advertisement

http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic224216-jltupdate-of-which-ones-to-avoid-forum23.aspx
    Some info on which buildings to avoid if you're looking at JLT.

Rent is a mixed bag here, over all its gone up a lot but in saying that areas like downtown and the marina have leveled off as many people are moving further out due to the traffic etc. In general there are very few buildings that are well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

In general there are very few buildings that are well built.

Nonsense. Pure and utter conjecture posted as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Suckler wrote: »
    Nonsense. Pure and utter conjecture posted as fact.

Its not my job to convince you, I work in safety here and personally would not live above the 10th floor of any high rise here.

Sadly my days of going anywhere for "the craic" are long gone! I want to work and experience living somewhere totally different!

If I keep asking I'm obviously serious (?)
    Im trying to get as much knowledge on it and get as many opinions as possible. Dubai is one of a couple of places i'm thinking of moving, its a big decision and I am just trying to be as informed as I possibly can be and figure out where is best for me!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Its not my job to convince you, I work in safety here and personally would not live above the 10th floor of any high rise here.

So the first ten stories are "generally well built" ?? Your statement still carries no weight. Its baseless opinion portrayed as fact.

So the first ten stories are "generally well built" ?? Your statement still carries no weight. Its baseless opinion portrayed as fact.

Actually, my understanding is that buildings here have no fire breaks by design... So yes, I would also advise to live on a low floor...

I met a Belgian guy last week who had to escape from the 78th floor of the tourch, basically passing two live fires on his way Down a crowded stairway...

I'm not portraying anything, of course it's an opinion, based on my own experience here in Dubai as a safety professional. The lack of fire breaks is one aspect of many flaws in high rise buildings. You disagree which you are quiet entitled to do so. Best of luck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Have the opportunity to move to Dubai to work, on a contract for 5 years. The pay is 3.5 times what my salary would be here in Ireland.

I was thinking of going with the idea that I can save as much as possible and come back in 5 years and have a good little nest egg to buy land or a house, even buy while away and build so it would be ready for me once the contract ends. I dont have to make any decision until September so am trying to gather as much info as possible until then.

I am basically starting from scratch, all I know is there is no income tax, the company is providing a living and travel allowance, they are also covering health insurance, the place looks amazing and it appears to give me a great chance to build up some savings.

Obviously there would be far more to the picture, how high is the cost of living there? Would it be feasible to save a lot of your salary if you plan on living frugally, is it possible to live frugally in Dubai even!

Whats it like for kids? I have two, a 5 year old and a 2 year old.

Am I crazy to consider it? It sounds too good to be true and usually when it sounds too good to be true its because it is too good to be true.

Any advice or feedback welcome

• Advertisement

Accommodation is expensive as it education.... These will have a major impact on your ability to save...

It is generally an expensive place to live. while living meagerly is not a pleasant experience due to the fact that there is little nature or natural activity... Everything is man made and hence all entertainment costs money...

Advertisement