Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming in Asia on Three

Options
  • 03-12-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've joined Three from Vodafone and was wondering about roaming in Asia.

1. I presume I should turn off data roaming on my iPhone to avoid huge charges, and just use wireless when I can?

2. Does Three have roaming agreements with particular networks there?

Any other advice gratefully received....

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your best call them as the website mighten be fully updated, I know it works in Hong Kong and Thailand, can't tell you much besides that. You can use 3 like home in Hong Kong but not thailand.

You've got me thinking of a nice beach holiday now, preferably somewhere my phone won't work:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Your best call them as the website mighten be fully updated, I know it works in Hong Kong and Thailand, can't tell you much besides that. You can use 3 like home in Hong Kong but not thailand.

You've got me thinking of a nice beach holiday now, preferably somewhere my phone won't work:)

Hi Drunkmonkey,

Thanks for this: when you say "can use 3 like home in Hong Kong", does this mean that you can use data roaming without additional charges? Or are you just referring to voice calls?

Cheers,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There network covers hong kong so you can use data as well at no extra cost, there HQ is hong kong, they also have 100mb fixed line, pity they wouldn't sort that over here :rolleyes: http://www.threebb.com.hk/eng/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

Hey if you are new to 3 check whether you need to pay a deposit for roaming.

Also see answer on the Talk to 3 forum about roaming andthe link lets you check out different countries

Hi Folks,

Just to give you an insight into how our roaming agreements works. For 3 Pay & Best of Both, we have agreements with some networks for real time billing. This means that if you are on a network where this is agreed, you will see your credit deplete after making/receiving a call. Bill Pay customers can roam on these networks without needing to be preprovisioned.

Bill pay customers can also roam on networks that we do not have this agreement with however this may need to be provisioned and we may ask for a security deposit depending on your credit history with us. For details on which countries have what agreements, you can click here. Networks with a green tick in the "voice" section under 3pay are the ones that everybody can roam on without being provisioned. Networks that have the green tick in Billpay will need to be provisioned.

I know this is confusing and I hope this explanation clarifies everything.
    user_offline.gifquote.gif

hickory wrote: »
    Hey if you are new to 3 check whether you need to pay a deposit for roaming.

Also see answer on the Talk to 3 forum about roaming andthe link lets you check out different countries

Hi Folks,

Just to give you an insight into how our roaming agreements works. For 3 Pay & Best of Both, we have agreements with some networks for real time billing. This means that if you are on a network where this is agreed, you will see your credit deplete after making/receiving a call. Bill Pay customers can roam on these networks without needing to be preprovisioned.

Bill pay customers can also roam on networks that we do not have this agreement with however this may need to be provisioned and we may ask for a security deposit depending on your credit history with us. For details on which countries have what agreements, you can click here. Networks with a green tick in the "voice" section under 3pay are the ones that everybody can roam on without being provisioned. Networks that have the green tick in Billpay will need to be provisioned.

I know this is confusing and I hope this explanation clarifies everything.
    user_offline.gifquote.gif

Thanks for that. Is "3pay" prepay, and "Postpay" bill pay? (I'm not sure why they have two different naming schemes).

Looking at, say, Malaysia, there are green ticks under Postpay for Voice Mobile Internet & Broadband. Does that means that mobile internet usages comes out of my 2GB allowance? Also, is the difference between "Broadband" and "Mobile Internet" is that the latter refers to tethering?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

No, mobile broadband means Internet on your phone, internet means using a modem. None will come out of your allowance, you will be charged data roaming which is expensive.

Walkman wrote: »
    No, mobile broadband means Internet on your phone, internet means using a modem. None will come out of your allowance, you will be charged data roaming which is expensive.

Oh. :( So I should definitely turn off data roaming on my iPhone for the duration, and only use wireless on it?

Cheers,

P.

Advertisement