Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Help help help

• 03-12-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey
    Just wondering if there is anyone else having the problems I am with upc?
    Im currently on the 30m line and when test are run everything seems fine.
    Im living in greystones if that makes a diffrence. Wired is coming back with anything from 27-29 and wireless is coming back with anything from 11-18 and that's perfect over wifi..
    The problem seems to be with browsing and streaming videos.. If I watch a video on my ipad connected to my amazing 30m fiber power line over wifi it can take forever to load, I could take out my iphone and load the video in quicker over 02 network... This issue has also happened when wired, A one minute video wired should load in seconds true? But it doesnt...

UPC have sent out 3 engineers and they all state that there is nothing wrong and try to tell me that having 2 iphones 1 ipad and a laptop is going to crush my bandwith not that there all on at the same time..

Is there anyone that is having the issues I am and is there any way to fix things??

My router is directly behind my tv but im getting full signal...

Help Me Plz....:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Hi gramo
    Im having the same problem you are but not as bad.
    All speedtest results are coming up all good. But surfing and down loads are not great for 30mg.

Some say it could be down to the DNS settings but im not sure. Will keep an eye on this to see can someone help out before calling UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Don't DL/UL over 250GB's a month on your 30meg Unlimited Broadband or you will get a fine of 70euro extra on your bill.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I had this issue when i got my 30m line installed..

speed test was 30mb but downloads were 15mb to 20mb!

I assumed it was a line issue, till i hooked a laptop up wired, and found that the same files that were coming down slow were downloading on the laptop at 30mb!!

I had this issue on 2 desktop PCs...

I ran Tuneup utilities, it has a network tuneup page and it asks "how you connect to Internet" (or something like that)
    Select Fibre,
    and it optimised the TCP settings..

both desktop Pc are downloading at 30mb+

give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

billyboy01 wrote: »
    Don't DL/UL over 250GB's a month on your 30meg Unlimited Broadband or you will get a fine of 70euro extra on your bill.:confused:

no home user would genuinely use over 250Gb a month anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,619 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

innovated wrote: »

*ahem*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

innovated wrote: »
    plenty of people DO, there's lots of threads on here from people who have gone over the 250gb AUP without knowing it until they get a letter from UPC and an expensive upgrade to the hidden extreme package.

as has been said several times before, just because YOU don't use a lot of bandwidth it doesn't mean that nobody else does. some of us like to make the most of what is available to us and that means pushing the limits sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

cramp wrote: »
    I had this issue when i got my 30m line installed..

speed test was 30mb but downloads were 15mb to 20mb!

I assumed it was a line issue, till i hooked a laptop up wired, and found that the same files that were coming down slow were downloading on the laptop at 30mb!!

I had this issue on 2 desktop PCs...

I ran Tuneup utilities, it has a network tuneup page and it asks "how you connect to Internet" (or something like that)
    Select Fibre,
    and it optimised the TCP settings..

both desktop Pc are downloading at 30mb+

give it a go!

Cheers Cramp I tried it but still seems to be ****e..

Just watched a video on youtube on the ipad and didnt stutter tried again a few minutes later and she freezes.. Some videos can take up to a minute to load and thats not loading the whole video, It will then frezes when it catches up with itself.
    Is there any UPC customer that is genuinely happy with the service they are getting? I really should switch provider but its just to much hassle..

and to be honest if I was getting the service I was paying for I could hit that 250g limit easy... I believe a lot of people are bridging the cisco router and using there own one and getting great results, Has anyone done this?

I can understand peak times and stuff that would affect my speeds and I dont mind that but it just seems everything over wifi is absoulute pants.. Is there anything I can try? Ive changed channels and all the standard stuff and my devices have full signal but everything is still crap... And like I said before these are iphones and ipads so theres no OS issue..

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

This happened to me on both my macs when I changed to UPC

I changed my DNS settings and it resolved the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

did you change your dns settings on the router or the macs?
    UPC tech support always whant the dns settings set to 0

What dns addresses did you use? Can these be manually put into ipads ect like i can on my laptop?

Cheers Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Sorry for the late reply

I changed the DNS settings on my mac...not the router

Apple button (top left)..system Prefs..network..advanced...DNS..89.101.160.4 and same again but change the 4 to 5

Cheers.

Anything else send me a PM

• Advertisement
Advertisement