Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako Mounting Options and Comb Raisers

Options
  • 03-12-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Going to be swapping the Sako Optilock mounts on my deer rifle soon enough for something to get the scope lower (Have about 11-12mm clearance at the moment and it's a 50mm objective, so too high altogether). I would prefer to go with a one-piece ring and base setup this time rather than the two-piece Optilock design, although I've considered putting a rail on it and putting the rings on that. Not sure who makes a rail for the Sako dovetails though. Just wondering what my options are in terms of mounts, as the only ones I have in mind at the moment are Warne.

In addition, I wouldn't mind getting a bit more height on the comb. Not interested in some huge, plastic adjustable height comb raiser which would require drilling the walnut stock or anything, just some sort of stick on piece which I can then just cover with a cartridge holding slip. I'd like to keep a narrow comb, so any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Beartooth comb raising/raiser kit. Just some foam pads with an elastic cover. Not pretty but works, ish :pac: The problem with it is it can slide left/right a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

johngalway wrote: »
    Beartooth comb raising/raiser kit. Just some foam pads with an elastic cover. Not pretty but works, ish :pac: The problem with it is it can slide left/right a little.

Aye, looking for something more rigid and stuck fast in place. Thought about the Beartooth but that kinda put me off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Try Roedales new picatinny rail for Sako rifle and a good set of low (0.885") rings.

For a cheek riser the only two things i can suggest are a karsten or to bring the rifle to the likes of Enda Walsh or someone similar and have him retro fit a cheek riser. Might be a little more expensive than a DIY one, but will fit perfectly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

ezridax wrote: »
    Try Roedales new picatinny rail for Sako rifle and a good set of low (0.885") rings.

For a cheek riser the only two things i can suggest are a karsten or to bring the rifle to the likes of Enda Walsh or someone similar and have him retro fit a cheek riser. Might be a little more expensive than a DIY one, but will fit perfectly.

IWM I was also looking for something in the 1 piece mount for my Sako 308 with the tappered dovetail. That Rosedale model that ezridax put up looks good but it comes in 3 parts.
    I see that the Rosedale mount and rail come in 0 MOA as well.

As for a cheek riser try stock bullet holder with some packing under, it works for me.

EDG (edi) member here I know was looking to get a one piece picatinny rail for his Sako so you could PM him.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

i picked up 1 of the roedale rails off him about 2 years ago at the iwa and i am very pleased with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

In addition, I wouldn't mind getting a bit more height on the comb. Not interested in some huge, plastic adjustable height comb raiser which would require drilling the walnut stock or anything, just some sort of stick on piece which I can then just cover with a cartridge holding slip. I'd like to keep a narrow comb, so any suggestions?

http://www.gunstocksireland.com/
    Try Enda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How ever did you come up with that ....................... hhhhmmmmmmm........

Ah, yes ...........
    ezridax wrote:
    ...........bring the rifle to the likes of Enda Walsh.......

Get your own ideas ya ................. idea.............. stealing .............type person. :p
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

How ever did you come up with that ....................... hhhhmmmmmmm........

Ah, yes ...........

Get your own ideas ya ................. idea.............. stealing .............type person. :p

As my Rangers Buddies say, If yer not cheating you are not trying.
    However "I did not see Enda's name mentioned on your post as yoiu usually BOLD Type any persons name Ezridax

I know of a chap who sculpts pieces from timber and does amazing work, carved an indian out of one piece of timber, I'm sure a craftsman could make up a cheek riser

I saw a fella who Velcroed a piece of timber onto a Mauser years ago, worked quite well for him too

Did some budgetting and it's looking pretty tight. I reckon I'll be forced to use one-piece rings and bases, such as the Warne. Hoping to get a second-hand set for somewhat cheaper now. I don't need much on the comb then once I have the scope lowered, maybe just a few millimetres. I'll see whether the neoprene from a cartridge holder would sort it out comfortably, and if not, can see what else to do then. Anyone got suggestions for mounts they'd use before the Warne ones, for reasonable money?

• Advertisement

If it's picatinny mounts I got a pair of Burris xtreme on the CZ varmint and can't fault them for the money. I'd be going the Burris route again if I change the Sako mounts to a picatinny rail and mounts in the future.

Get those Burris xtreme mounts off the US e bay (ebay.com) for about $50

A couple of photo's to show you what I have.

The bullet holder to act as a cheek riser. Carpet underlay is the material used to rise it up.
    IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg

The reason I need the cheek riser is 'cos the rings are too high. I have a lower pair of rings to fit now.
    IMG_0128.jpg

And the front mount that has a little metal milled off to give the same affect as a 20MOA mount.
    IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg

And the Burris Xtreme picatinny rings on my CZ varmint with a custom one piece picatinny rail for the cz 527 series of rifles.
    12052010029.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I have a 20 MOA Roedale rail on my old sako.
    Works a treat with medium high mounts.
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    I have a 20 MOA Roedale rail on my old sako.
    Works a treat with medium high mounts.
    edi

edi what size scope have you on that Roedale rail that you use medium rings and what is the mesurement of the ring. Just so as I have an idea what rings would suit my 6-24x50 Bushnell scope and the Roedale rail.

cheers.

Good photos, cheers clive. :) I like the idea of the rail for swapping between optics handily if the mindset took me. Going to try a set of Warne mounts next week hopefully and see whether I can get lower. If the ones available are too high for me I'll stick a wanted thread in the forum here. Got a good bit of clearance I want rid of anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

Going to be swapping the Sako Optilock mounts on my deer rifle soon enough for something to get the scope lower (Have about 11-12mm clearance at the moment and it's a 50mm objective, so too high altogether). I would prefer to go with a one-piece ring and base setup this time rather than the two-piece Optilock design, although I've considered putting a rail on it and putting the rings on that. Not sure who makes a rail for the Sako dovetails though. Just wondering what my options are in terms of mounts, as the only ones I have in mind at the moment are Warne.

I have a picatinny rail for a sako 75. 0 moa inclined. never fitted to a rifle.
    As per the roedale precision web site. I would sell for 90 euro including postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

clivej wrote: »
    edi what size scope have you on that Roedale rail that you use medium rings and what is the mesurement of the ring. Just so as I have an idea what rings would suit my 6-24x50 Bushnell scope and the Roedale rail.

cheers.

First I thought some else had the same idea of milling off the optilok mounts until I saw the x on the side....

I have rails on my three rifles so that I can swap scopes any way I want
    and don't have to mess around getting the scope horizontal every time when one leaves the top parts of the scope together. This doesn't work
    with the vertical split mounts, have one set and will get rid of it again.

The height of the rails to the centre of the bore is different on my sako which is the highest, to my rem 700 and Tikka T3 the lowest.
    This alone means I must compromise with mounts. Then the shape of
    a scope can force to mount higher. Awkward is a Schmidt & Bender Zenith
    because the wine bottle shape and short length has a large diameter far
    back. I even shortened the front of the rails on my sako and remington.

What works on my sako, which is fairly similar to the heights of a sako 75.
    Medium high 30mm mounts with the 3-12x50 zenith. Gap is fairly large to
    the barrel. With a different scope shape one could get away with lower
    mounts. These are medium 30mm recknagel mounts, tube sits 9.5mm above the rail.
    DSCN0490.jpg

The same rifle with a 1" zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with cheap walmart 5$
    mounts. Center of scope sits 20.4mm above the rail vs 24.5 for the zenith. Gap is now only about 6mm.
    DSCN2161.jpg

On a Remmy the zenith with recknagel mounts.
    DSCN2164.jpg

Not much gap on the remmy with the Zeiss.
    DSCN0309.jpg

On a Tikka T3 light, the zenith just fits with the recknagel mounts.
    DSCN4606.jpg

edi

Thanks edi
    I would never have noticed the X scratched on the front mount if you hadn't said about it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

If it has a standard barrel would you not opt for the Extra Low Optilocks?
    Have them on my Tikka with a 50mm bell and no problems, think maybe 2mm clearance between bell and barrel. Might not be the same for Sako though. Also have used warne QD's on same rifle and have had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I use Warne mounts on my sauer and tikka, they are a very good set of mounts would definitly recomend them.

dr6.5

• Advertisement
Advertisement