Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a background similar to this

Options
  • 03-12-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for a background similar to the attached image. Are there websites out there which allow you to download wallpaper backgrounds similar to this? Or alternatively I could start up photoshop and get designing, if someone could point me in the right direction on how to create something like this.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OK here is one cheap and cheerful way of creating that effect (not the only way).

Open a document, fill with the darkest background colour. To make the background smudgy light effect, make another layer (layer 2), fill with a mid colour - in this case a yellow-green. Take the opacity of the top layer down to about 40%. Work on layer 1, use a very large brush (300+ or so) on 0% hardness and make two or three huge, soft 'dots' in a group on the background in a very light version of the colour and also a bit with white. Adjust the opacity of the top layer to get the colour effect you want.

Make new layers and use a very small brush on about 40 to 50% softness and dot in the spotty effect in the different shades and opacities. You could work under and over layer 2 to get the subtle effects. Work on new layers so you can keep fiddling with it till you get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sentineil

Alternatively you could just fill with your background colour and then blob in the mid-highlight colours and apply a gaussian blur to blend it all together.

You could also try using a spot light to add the lighter shade. This can be found in Filter-Render-Lighting.

To get the dots you could use a default dot brush and modify it using the brush panel. Playing around with the shape dynamics and scattering could give you a similar effect.
    Start with the largest dots at the bottom and move up through the sizes creating a new layer for each. You can then fiddle with the opacity slider on each layer to get the effect you want.

What looksee has told you should work fine, I'm just offering you an alternative in case you run into trouble. The joy of Photoshop is that there's a dozen ways to do everything, and by trying new methods and toying around with the options you'll learn a lot without realising.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Or try a camera with a fast lens wide open! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

That's called bokeh effect I believe fyi. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

correct and right Mr bobNiblets. :)

http://abduzeedo.com/awesome-digital-bokeh-effect-photoshop

creates a nice effect actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've a good idea how to create that effect now in photoshop.Just trying some different styles. Thanks again

Advertisement