Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Stephen's Green (park) closed?

Options
  • 03-12-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I was just walking around outside it this morning and all those potential snow angels and snow people and snow body parts are going to waste! Why do they close it during heavy snow I wonder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe something to do with the ponds? Maybe they're iced over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

z_topaz wrote: »
    I was just walking around outside it this morning and all those potential snow angels and snow people and snow body parts are going to waste! Why do they close it during heavy snow I wonder.

I never knew they did this, I wonder why too?.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe something to do with the ponds? Maybe they're iced over?

Probably ... Another health & safety thing most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

cos ( i presume) if some arse wipe fell over, cos of the uncleared snow, then its the councils fault for not clearing it.

and if an arse fell over cos of cleared snow not being cleared fully, which is pretty much going to happen if it keeps snowing, then the council also gets sued.

so overall better to close the park and stop f*ckers from looking for a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

We used to jump the fence as kids when it was snowing.

It's actually pretty dangerous during heavy snow, especially around the pond.
    Once the ponds ice over, snow builds up over them too, and with the path already iced over it gets tricky to figure out where the pond starts and the path ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

cos ( i presume) if some arse wipe fell over, cos of the uncleared snow, then its the councils fault for not clearing it.

and if an arse fell over cos of cleared snow not being cleared fully, which is pretty much going to happen if it keeps snowing, then the council also gets sued.

so overall better to close the park and stop f*ckers from looking for a claim.

Excuse me for minor nitpick but Dublin City Council don't own St. Stephen's Green. It's the OPW. The point you make still stands, though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

some of the trees are dangerous and heavy laden with snow

they are in the process of cutting down some of the more dangerous branches down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

looked like it was open this afternoon when I was up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Really? Damn - I missed my window of time! I know it was still closed at 10am. Maybe whoever has the keys was delayed 'cause of the snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ollaetta wrote: »
    Excuse me for minor nitpick but Dublin City Council don't own St. Stephen's Green. It's the OPW. The point you make still stands, though.

That's also why the parking meters around the green are on the road as the OPW own the paths outside the Green and the not the council. There you go, useless fact no. 2 for the day!

• Advertisement

Saw this earlier: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1203/breaking49.html
    The Office of Public Works has closed St Stephen’s Green in Dublin all weekend for health and safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Must be to do with the ponds as Merrion Square was open this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

irishbird wrote: »
    some of the trees are dangerous and heavy laden with snow

they are in the process of cutting down some of the more dangerous branches down

About time. Large amount of low hanging branches inside and out all year round. The OPW do such a great job overall but never understand how they dont see the branches they have to duck under!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Fair enough a reason to close it (if it is to do with the ponds and paths becoming merged into one snow-covered risk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Well I think I have an answer to my own question. Was walking through the re-opened Stephen's Green today at lunch and saw one girl walking right in the middle of the duck pond on the ice and another fella on his way out onto it chasing his hat that his mate had thrown onto the pond.

My heart stopped. This is Darwin Award material!!

Advertisement