Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok so i think we adopted a cat

Options
  • 03-12-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

So neighbour died few months ago and since then the cat been coming to me and the girlfriends window and she feeds it etc.

Now in the cold though we are taking it inside and taking a little bit more care of it.

Does anyone know if the shelters can give it the once over for health stuff general wellbeing and if they charge or do we have to take it to a vet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Congrats on your addition to the family :D

A vet will certainly give it the once over and your wallet the twice over. Try the shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Congratulations to the cat on finding new staff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

If i was you i'd get it spayed / neutered ASAP before you end up with 10 kittens :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

worst thing is i fucking hate cats

danniemcq wrote: »

Now thats priceless!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Same thing happened us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

danniemcq wrote: »

:D lol classic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Heh. You don't adopt a cat - the cat adopts you! Cats don't deserve all the bad press they get. In fact, I can already feel the love!!!

I can just see Dannie stroking the wee pussy now. Awwwwwww. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

f0bc1_bad_boys_love_cats.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

irish1967 wrote: »
    Same thing happened us. :)

Us also! Except we now have two cats, and I dislike the two of them.

I think you can get them neutered for free, or for a discount if you go to the shelter and say it is a rescue case. That's what I heard anyway but I'm not sure. Anyone else know of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Are you looking to give it to a shelter or get it checked over by a vet and returned to you?
    All shelters have different policies so you won't know until you contact them but I would recommend giving a small donation if you do decide to give them the cat, in nearly all shelters funds are stretched and they are bursting at the seams with animals so it's only fair to give them something to go towards the cost of food and vets bills while they are there.

If you just want a general check for health and have it returned to you then it'l have to be a vet, shelters don't have their own vets on site. As far as I am aware the only charity that would offer free/reduced price vets fees is the blue cross but I think they are only in dublin.
    Is the cat neutered? To have it neutered for a male will be about €35 and a female €50, for a female it is an absolute must unless you want lots and lots more cats! :D If you want it vaccinated it's about €35 and then worming tablets are a few euro. Not trying to put you off just letting you know what your in for now that it (is it a he or she?) has employed you as a butler! :D

Did the neighbour have any relatives that might take the cat either?

Where are these shelters in Donegal ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

irish1967 wrote: »
    Where are these shelters in Donegal ???

The only one I know of in Donegal is this one: http://www.donegalpetrescue.com/ I came across this but don't know anything about them: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35626333396#!/group.php?gid=35626333396&v=info

There's Leitrim animal welfare in drumkeerin, http://homepage.eircom.net/~leitrimanimals/index.html

And these two are based in derry, http://www.rainbowrehoming.com/ http://www.nwpetrescue.org.uk/

The donegal county council have a Shelter, its up near killylastin.... actually i don't know if they are dogs only or dogs and cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The donegal county council have a Shelter, its up near killylastin.... actually i don't know if they are dogs only or dogs and cats.

That's the pound, they don't pay for much and as far as I know only deal with dogs, Donegal pet rescue afaik only deal (or mostly deal) with cats.

Susan Roulston in Newton would be the most reasonably priced vet around that I know of if the OP is near the general area, open clinic from 5 to 6 weekdays and 1 to 2 Saturdays, just ring and ask for prices, might work out cheaper just booking vaccs as she'll give it the once over anyway and they normally don't charge a consultation fee if they are booked in for vaccinations if I remember correctly ;)

Advertisement