Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike not covered for te last week, any damage?

• 03-12-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

A mate has left his bike out in the snow for the last week with no cover on it.
    Having a bike myself he assumed i had a good reason for telling to him get a cover on it, but i couldnt honestly give him a good reason why, lol

So whats the deal with it? Any possible damage to a bike left out for the last week in that snow with no cover?

Apart from the battery most likely being dead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Bird poop?

If that doesnt convince him, then tell him:
    "Any weather will wear and tear at bikes paint and materials, so a cover is just a way to prevent the bike from being exposed when not in use. I'm not sure if the snow and rain will cause more weathering then UV rays from the sun might but either way...."

Then sell him your cover!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I haven't used mine in two weeks. Tried it earlier, and other than a weak battery (almost died when starting), it worked fine. Snow/Ice isn't likely to cause any damage unless you're stupid enough to try driving it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

snow/ice wont do damage per sé but water from melted snow getting into every nook and cranny on the bike will, read about a lad on another forum who had to replace almosst everything electrical on a scooter because he let it get buried in snow and the water pwned it when the snow melted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Most bikes are designed to take extremes of hot and cold, but the current -5degC and below we are seeing will be too much for any bike which hasn't the right amount of anti-freeze, a tired battery, old engine oil (viscosity increases, slows lubrication and makes starting harder) or hasn't been serviced in a while. The moisture/condensation when there is a thaw gets everywhere and can cause ECU, CDI and HT failure. Tyres will suffer from repeated freezing - it causes cracking and hardening of the sidewalls and this could result in premature failure if the bike isn't moved for a long time.

It depends on the bike - an aircooled scooter won't suffer as much as an RD350LC with water in the rad.

'cptr

Advertisement