Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desperate plea for help - nissan primera immobilised

• 03-12-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Was just leaving house after lunch.

As I started the car I was wearing gloves so accidentally hit the "lock" button on the keyfob. The car wouldn't start, I think the immobiliser has kicked in as there isn't in a click or the lights on the dash won't turn on.

It was a leave my brain at the door day as I left my hand bag in the car, got out, closed the door and started fiddling with the key fob.

Now I can't open the car to get into it, never mind start it. Is it that the battery has suddenly worn down?

I can hear the locks in the car clicking when I try to open it but I think I've immobilised it. HELP PLEASE. Googling like mad but can't find any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

have you tried the key in the door? like the old days

try opening the door, get your bag, close it and lock it with the fob.

should be grand.

The only thing i can think of is if you left lights on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

It only has a side key on the passenger door and I don't have that. Car was inherited from kind family member but without spare key.

Think car is immobilised as it wouldn't start at all when I tried (when I was fortunate enough to be in car) <insert rolly eyes at myself>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

For me it looks like dead battery.
    Open your car by putting your key into lock (like adviced already).
    The lock is in the passenger front door under plastic cover.
    You have to take the cover off. There is a little hole underneath the cover - just put your key into it and pull the plastic cover.
    Then open the door.
    Open the bonnet, and jump start the car.

But I just drove home not 30 minutes earlier? Can a dead battery happen in that time?

(not doubting you just not sure that I've explained it properly).

Plus some lights come on in the car, including a security sign (key in the car) when the key is on the on position which I think means the immobiliser.

Figured how to get into the car - thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

But I just drove home not 30 minutes earlier? Can a dead battery happen in that time?

If your alternator is on the blink, the battery may not be charging properly as you drive.

I thought an immobiliser would allow the engine to turn over i.e. wouldn't disable the starter motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I think some cars have a key on the alarm, you can access it when you open the bonnet, little key on the alarm unit. Not 100% sure in mind you.

I think it's the immobiliser.

Going to replace the battery in the key fob and have also found this on the interweb -
    I disconnected the negative-cable from the battery for about 24 hours. After that, the boardcomputer seemed to be reset, the tripteller showed 0 km. The startingproblem had disappeared totally. So, in case of problems with NATS, it is worth trying to disconnect the negative-cable from the battery during some period, before making appointments about an expensive reparation.
    When I was wrestling with my IMMO-unit this trick sometimes got me out of trouble: Loosen the negative-cable from the battery and walk round the car (i.e. wait for 20-30 seconds). Then fasten the cable back to the battery and try to start again. This works as a re-boot for the computer.
    Also found out that if I'm too fast with the key (hurrying to start the engine) it sometimes starts showing the NATS-light. Take it easy and stop at the key position where the display and radio turns on -wait till you see 'NISSAN' text on the screen and the radio starts playing. After this you can proceed by turning the ignition on and starting the engine. This has minimized the NATS-light shining and engine refusing to start on my P12.
    Disconnected for 24 hours? Must try that some time.
    Today my last start 120km from home I got the 'red key'. Out with the key and a new try....nope: NATS-light again. Out-in with the key... irritating red light AGAIN!!! Now I took the key out and locked and un-locked the doors with the key-remote. New try...the NATS light didn't blink at all when I turned the key to pre-ignition position!?!? When I turned the key to ignition-position the central locking tried to open the already opened locks on the doors???? But now NO NATS-light and the engine sarted normally!?!?
    Gremlins in the electronics! I have my doubts that this very wet weather has something to do with. Now when to huge amount of snow is melting and it's sprayed around under the car. This water finds its ways in to cable connectors and causes trouble.

Will post the results of the various endeavours. Thanks for the replies. Your help was much appreciated in my moments of blind panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sounds like a dead battery to me...get someone to jump start it...have you breakdown cover on your insurance?

Dead right, it was the battery.

Tried to jump start it off my sister's car but no joy. Luckily had breakdown cover so they came out today and were able to start it.

Just from driving short distances with the air-con/ lights/heat full blast and it's not getting a chance to charge up properly.

Unfortunately key fob no longer works, probably due to battery change but hopefully that will be relatively easy to fix.

Want to say a big thanks to everyone who replied to the thread. I really appreciate it.

Advertisement