Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter airgun.

Options
  • 03-12-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello, I was wondering how would i go about purchasing and airgun and liscence in Ireland. I was thinking of getting a .22 in cork and was wondering where would be the best place to buy it.
    I would appreciate the outline for the aplication procedure and any specific rewuiments ie a safe.
    I'm 17 , am I underage , or do i just need a parents signature?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

At 17, you're a year over the minimum age, but if you're living at home, a parent's approval may be sought by the local Gardai anyway (and there's not much point fighting about it, it's such a small thing). Most firearms dealers will have at least one second-hand .22 airgun hanging about the place; they're not exactly hens teeth and should be reasonably cheap as well.

But I think perhaps the best advice would be to make your way out to your nearest target shooting range (in your case, that'd be in fermoy) and see what it looks like and what folk are using and see if anything takes your fancy and talk to some of the lads there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 canttakeajoke

You'll get a normal .22 for the same price or cheaper than an air rifle. but i have a gammo shadow air-rifle if your looking to buy one. Its never been used so Id be looking for €250.
    The cops will probabaly break your balls looking for a training cert do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

You'll get a normal .22 for the same price or cheaper than an air rifle. but i have a gammo shadow air-rifle if your looking to buy one. Its never been used so Id be looking for €250.
    The cops will probabaly break your balls looking for a training cert do.
    You make it sound like a bad thing that someone be thought how to safly and properly handle a gun:eek: not to mention have someone explain all relivent safty info even if just for a few hours!

This is not a big deal OP, most ranges or clubs should be able to look after this for you

You make it sound like a bad thing that someone be thought how to safly and properly handle a gun:eek: not to mention have someone explain all relivent safty info even if just for a few hours!

This is not a big deal OP, most ranges or clubs should be able to look after this for you

The cops don't know one end of a gun from the other, ask your firearms officer and he will tell you!
    Giving some one €100 to tell you tell you what any shooter will, dose not make you safer really. Iv been to ranges where safety is taken way too seriously, for no better reason than to make some ego's feel good.
    Don't be fooled by anyone telling you that giving the government money makes you safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The cops don't know one end of a gun from the other, ask your firearms officer and he will tell you!
    Yes, and they're all called Fred as well.
    Giving some one €100 to tell you tell you what any shooter will, dose not make you safer really.
    No, not unless you didn't know it beforehand.
    Iv been to ranges where safety is taken way too seriously, for no better reason than to make some ego's feel good.
    See, that I can't believe.
    Either they're taking safety seriously; and if you disagree with that, none of us want you near us on a range!
    OR, they're pleasing their own egos in which case it's not really about safety.
    Don't be fooled by anyone telling you that giving the government money makes you safer!
    And don't be fooled by anyone telling you that the government charge for safety courses - they don't run anyone!
    (And if you're talking about the licence fee, well, you have to pay that no matter what kind of licence you get, so it's got nothing to do with safety anyway and has never been claimed to be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Iv been to ranges where safety is taken way too seriously

Have to disagree with you there - IMO I can't see any situation arising where safety may be considered to be something not to be taken most seriously.

The training cert you mention - I presume you don't mean the training licence, but rather some indication that the applicant has undertaken some form of training in the safe and responsible use and handling of the firearm?

Most clubs / ranges I know of will provide this training as a matter of course to all new members (for free usually) and will (in my experience) provide you with a letter to that effect.

Anyone who is not a range/club member applying for a firearm (first timer) should IMO have undertaken some form of training / tuition / introduction into the safe and responsible use and handling of their chosen firearm. To suggest otherwise is IMO irresponsible.

Giving some one €100 to tell you tell you what any shooter will, dose not make you safer really. Iv been to ranges where safety is taken way too seriously, for no better reason than to make some ego's feel good.
    saftey on any range is the main priority and rightly so. I learned to shoot rifles in the fca and the first thing we were all thought is saftey, the same way every full time soilder is thought safty first. people who use guns as the tools of their trade have very strict range practices and again rightly so. its not right to sugest to someone looking for info to come into our sport that safty courses are only to give the government money or make someones ego feel good:rolleyes: not very responsible on your part buddy.

op the more you learn about safty and shooting in general while your buying your rifle and waiting on your licence to come through will all stand to you and make you a better shooter when you start

Believe it or not people owned all kinds of guns before ranges became popular. We dont have a problem with safety in Ireland. training licences dont prove that a person is safe, no more than a gun licence. These new training papers will lead to costs through ranges charging for this accreditation, and they will.

I learned to shoot rifles in the fca and the first thing we were all thought is saftey

I might remind anyone who thinks military training is considered safe by the Gards, that firearm licences have been refused due to the military connection. Also military training or dynamic shooting is considered dangerous by the gards. Anyone remembers practical shooting??:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

training licences dont prove that a person is safe....................,

They are not intended to do so. They are meant to allow those under 16 and over 14 (among other new shooters of other ages) to legally accompany and shoot with other shooters that hold a full license. Much as a provisional license allows a learner driver practice until they sit their driving test.
    ................... no more than a gun licence.

Those with a gun license have either enough experience under their belts to satisfy AGS that they are competent to hold that firearm. Or they have have completed the necessary course to satisfy AGS to the same.
    ................ These new training papers will lead to costs through ranges charging for this accreditation, and they will.

And they do. Whats your point? A range should not be covered for taking the time to train new comers in the safe practice of firearm handling? The cost is minimal and a once off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Believe it or not people owned all kinds of guns before ranges became popular. We dont have a problem with safety in Ireland. training licences dont prove that a person is safe, no more than a gun licence. These new training papers will lead to costs through ranges charging for this accreditation, and they will.

im well aware, and im also well aware of older fellas who never had any formal training who have very bad habbits that could have been avoided were they thought properly from day one. your makin it sound like its a bad thing to teach someone the basics and have it part of getting your first licence! I paid €40 to do the course i did, an hour and a half reading about saftey and being shown safe handling ect, everything i already knew but i didnt mind, it was a refresher if anything
    I might remind anyone who thinks military training is considered safe by the Gards, that firearm licences have been refused due to the military connection. Also military training or dynamic shooting is considered dangerous by the gards. Anyone remembers practical shooting??:)
    I was just saying that the army use guns as the tools of their trade and safty is number one priority.

I dont think id like to go shootin with you in the same area:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Safety is the MOST important aspect of shooting.

I have shot on ranges (Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol) in both Ireland and Abroad.
    I have been shooting in the field - both in Ireland and abroad.

I would agree that ranges have a higher and stricter sense of safety training that those who simply shoot in the field but that does not mean it does not happen for those hunting.

If you go out with your Da or Uncles or whatever for a bit'o'pheasant or bunny shooting when you are a kid and they let you carry the cartridge belt - they are not just taking you for a walk - they are instilling in you how to be safe around guns - before you ever get your hands on one. You will see people clearing guns and handing them over gates or ditches to each other. You will be told to be careful where the other guns are and where to stand and why. It might not mean much to you at the time but the first time you carry a gun out into the field yourself and approach a gate or a ditch you will remember it. When a few if you are circling a few whin bushes to flush out a few woodcock you'll remember it.

That is safety training.

Clubs and Ranges so exactly the same thing. When you first join a club - you will notice that there are a lot of people offering held and advice - having an eyeball at your gun - showing you how to hold the firearms for a better shot - talking about ammo selection, sight selection, etc. they are implicitly giving you safety training.

Clubs and Ranges also offer more formal courses - from a wide range of curriculum's - but all with the exact same theme - safety. You do not have to do the formal courses - but - and here is the but - it offers you the ability to schedule when you do it. The Informal stuff is fine and is very helpful - provided it is there when you are.

Personally I have benefited from all of the above. When I first joined the club I was shown various club guns and how to use them - bit bu bit - I was shown how to shoot properly and range etiquette, etc - after a while I was shown how to work on a better score - I did all of the courses I could - at the time we were allowed shoot IPSC here so I had to do an IPSC competition license course before i was even allowed to practice - while it was intended for the experienced shooter - this was the best safety course I have ever seen - by far.
    Since then I have become an NRA instructor so I can offer courses in basic safety and handling - as have many members of my club - and other clubs.

I'm not trying to flog it to you - just pointing out that there are many people out there - who can offer you a training course should you like to do one.

The one key bit of advise I would offer is that every time you do a safety course you learn something new - it may be something you did not know - it may be a bad habit you need to get out of - it may be something you are doing which you should not be doing in the presence of novices as they will copy you.

The one great thing about the shooting sports - whatever about the handbag and bluster you see a lot of - is that everyone - bar none - will do everything they can to ensure everyone else around them is a safe as they can be. Take heed of it and benefit from it.

B'Man

Advertisement