Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Random Recipe Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

thanks for the suggestions lads

ill let ye know how it goes

just another few things

ill be using sharwoods curry powder

i dont want to have grainy bits of it in the curry when its done

i want it to be really smooth with plenty sauce

does it all look ok as planned?

:)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

When now you've got me started.

The reason I like this recipe is it's nice and simple and will work very well but if you want to flex the oul cooking muscles you can do loads more.

For a start you can try experimenting with loads of different spices (although sharwoods curry powder is grand)

Try a tin of tomatoes with or instead of the stock if you want an indian style curry.

Try a tin of coconut milk for a Thai style curry.

Cut the chicken razor thin and marinate it with the curry and paste for a half an hour or overnight in the fridge before cooking.

A curry is basically an Asian stew so there's no rules at all.

Sorry I got too enthusiastic I forgot to answer your questions.

Don't worry about grainy bits from spice powder if you simmer it for a half hour. The powder will dissolve after that time.

To make plenty of sauce just add more water.

To make the sauce thick then cornflour is the best thing in the world.
    Mix a spoonful or two with a quarter glass of cold tapwater.
    Stir this into the sauce while it's on the heat and you'll see i thicken up almost immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

If simple curry is what your after here is a great recipe...

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-curry-in-a-hurry-29301

Raisins, Coriander and Yoghurt optional of course...

I do put some carrot and mushrooms in mine. Have also included peas too just to fill it it out.

Whenever I fell like a take-out, I just have this curry instead much better:D

• Advertisement

stmol32 wrote: »
    When now you've got me started.

The reason I like this recipe is it's nice and simple and will work very well but if you want to flex the oul cooking muscles you can do loads more.

For a start you can try experimenting with loads of different spices (although sharwoods curry powder is grand)

Try a tin of tomatoes with or instead of the stock if you want an indian style curry.

Try a tin of coconut milk for a Thai style curry.

Cut the chicken razor thin and marinate it with the curry and paste for a half an hour or overnight in the fridge before cooking.

A curry is basically an Asian stew so there's no rules at all.

thanks ,yeah a stew style is the way i want to approach it but i do really want to keep it as simple as possible

dont like indian style,always seem too dry or something,i want loads of sauce :) ,maybe try thai someday

ill be using chicken stock made from the bones so ill have enough for plenty sauce

the only thing im worried about is the grainyness from the powder when its done, would i need to cook the powder for more than a minute?

thanks

It's actually the simmering that gets rid of the grittyness in my experience.

I've never done this meself but if your worried about the curry powder being grainy then how about throwing a good few spoonfuls in with the bones and making a chicken curry stock.

If your making stock from chicken bones then you probably don't need much advice it already sounds like it's going to be bursting with flavour so I'd leave the recipe as you have it.

stmol32 wrote: »
    It's actually the simmering that gets rid of the grittyness in my experience.

I've never done this meself but if your worried about the curry powder being grainy then how about throwing a good few spoonfuls in with the bones and making a chicken curry stock.

If your making stock from chicken bones then you probably don't need much advice it already sounds like it's going to be bursting with flavour so I'd leave the recipe as you have it.

what if i add the powder with the chicken?

would 5 mins be too much for it?

might add a few chilli peppers too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

wanna keep it as easy as possible, ive tried curries before but made it too complicated ,would this work ?

fry onion and garlic until golden
    add chicken and ginger
    fry for 5 mins
    add curry powder and tomato paste
    mix and stir for 1 min
    add stock and thicken
    add mushrooms and peppers
    simmer until cooked

thanks

Very simple, very straight forward, i would love to know how you get on.

a couple of suggestions which you can choose to ignore if you wish.

By peppers i assume you mean red/green pepper, i would slice (not dice) them quite thinly and add to the onions at the start, they will be more tender.

I would also add the curry powder to this to add flavor at this stage.

then add the garlic, so as not to burn.then add the chicken, diced.

instead of tomato paste, try a tin of plum peeled tomatoes, and crush with a fork after you add to the pot/wok.

at this stage you need to gauge how wet the sauce is and how much stock to add.

are you using fresh or powdered ginger? I would use fresh and grate it (half a thumb), mix into the stock and add.

taste for seasoning and spice. add as required.

reduce to sauce until it is coating the the meat and has a nice sauce look and feel.

again taste for seasoning and spice, and add if required.

I would leave out the mushrooms.

barfizz wrote: »
    Very simple, very straight forward, i would love to know how you get on.

a couple of suggestions which you can choose to ignore if you wish.

By peppers i assume you mean red/green pepper, i would slice (not dice) them quite thinly and add to the onions at the start, they will be more tender. red/green and chilli peppers,ill add the red/green with the onions on your advice and the chilli with the mushrooms ,not many chillis,maybe just 2,have to be mushrooms in it :)

I would also add the curry powder to this to add flavor at this stage. ill do this

then add the garlic, so as not to burn.then add the chicken, diced. ill do this

instead of tomato paste, try a tin of plum peeled tomatoes, and crush with a fork after you add to the pot/wok.ill do this

at this stage you need to gauge how wet the sauce is and how much stock to add.

I would use fresh ginger and grate it (half a thumb), mix into the stock and add.ill do this

taste for seasoning and spice. add as required.

reduce to sauce until it is coating the the meat and has a nice sauce look and feel.

again taste for seasoning and spice, and add if required.

I would leave out the mushrooms.i need mushrooms in it :)

thanks! ill let you know how it goes

how would i get it really brown? not reddish ,more powder at the start?

• Advertisement

thanks! ill let you know how it goes

how would i get it really brown? not reddish ,more powder at the start?

Why brown? just out of interest.

"Powder" is not the answer. add 1/4 tsp Turmeric to darken at the start.

Why brown? just out of interest.

"Powder" is not the answer.

well i dont want it to be kinda red,this happened before,maybe too much tomato

i like brown curry :)

suppose i could roast the chicken bones for the stock to make a brown stock

ill get some tumeric in it,nice colour that

when would i add this? with the curry powder?

yes, cook with the oil until dark.

yes, cook with the oil until dark.

ok cool

ill edit my first post now to make the final changes

thanks all

anymore tips welcome

so heres the updated recipe

fry onion until soft, with curry powder ,1/4 tsp tumeric and red/green peppers
    add garlic
    add chicken and ginger
    fry for 5 mins
    add crushed tomatos
    mix and stir for 1 min
    add stock and thicken
    add mushrooms and chilli peppers
    simmer until cooked

all look ok?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Frying the onions, very finely chopped, for quite a while on a medium heat with a little sugar, stirring all the time so they don't burn will brown your curry. Add your spices ar the end of this browning period so they don't burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Termeric is lovely in a curry and will make the curry more brown. Yes, add it with the curry powder.

if you add lots of tomato, its hard to avoid a red colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

a good curry depends a lot on the proportion of each ingredient you put in, if you get that balance wrong it will taste like crap.
    a simple curry that will taste great. for 1 person....

3tbs of vegetable oil
    1tsp ginger and garlic
    1 ½ tbs tomato puree
    1tbs curry powder
    1/2tsp chilli powder
    1/2tsp salt
    300ml chicken soup
    1 chicken fillet
    ½ a tomato
    2tsp lemon juice
    2tbs chopped coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a pan and add the ginger and garlic and chicken until the edges start to turn brown. quickly add the tomato puree and all the spice to the pan. Immediately add the chicken soup and stir in fast. Add the tomato and Cook on high heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and coriander leaves. simmer for 10 mins, add water to keep a saucey consistency and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi CA - when you say "chicken soup" what exactly do you mean? Clear chicken broth (stock), packet soup, other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Hi CA - when you say "chicken soup" what exactly do you mean? Clear chicken broth (stock), packet soup, other?

packet soup, cream of chicken as opposed to a clear soup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 elizabethmary

I use medium curry powder and chinese five spice powder. I use tomato paste, not actual tomatoes and always add a blob of yougurt at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i would whizz the tinned tomatos aswell, just to make it that little bit thicker and creamier/smoother.

To get it a nice lush brown I usually add a good glug of soy sauce or worcestershire sauce.

If you are doing this though don't add salt anywhere else because these sauces have enough salt in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

so, i presume at this stage the curry has been made and devoured.:D

how did it go?
    and did you take any pics?

sponge_bob wrote: »
    so, i presume at this stage the curry has been made and devoured.:D

how did it go?
    and did you take any pics?

not yet!

ill get some pics up though when its done,it'll be this week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

This light yet rich egg and butter sauce is great with asparagus, sprouting brocolli or any meaty white fish like ray, monkfish or plaice - or shell fish like razorfish, scallop or lobster.
    mouselene1.jpg
    I love using Hollandaise sauce, but hate the waste of egg whites. Mousseline sauce is traditionally made with cream, but the variation I use is the egg whites whipped to give a lighter sauce, better for this time of year. Its probably a healthier option as well.

The sauce - like Hollandaise - is technically tricky to make. Main thing is keep it moving and off the heat once the eggs get added to the butter.

100 gm butter - I reccomend Cuinneog
    2 eggs, separated
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    Good squeeze of lemon juice

Optional Herbs - I use fennel and tarragon

Melt the butter in a bain marie
    Separate the eggs, reserve the yolks
    Whip the egg white until frothy - I whip in the herbs at this point to let them infuse

Now, remove the bowl of your bain marie from the heat
    Add the egg yolks to the melted butter, keep it moving - dont let it set, add a good squeeze of lemon.
    After the lemon is added the sauce changes colour from a deep egg yolk yellow to a lovely looking light yellow - essentially a hollondaise sauce
    Add a good pinch of cayenne pepper and then add the mixture to the egg whites in the cold bowl, mix in to give a nice light texture.

The sauce is served over the food, let the food and a heated plate heat the sauce, it is very light and heats up quickly - dont risk leaving it on the heat unattended or it will set - this is not what you want. You can heat it up in the bain marie prior to serving, but it needs to be watched carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Zuiderzee you are always posting up recipes like this in isolation. Why not contribute to the running threads - letting us know what you had for dinner last night, along with your lovely photos? Or offering your own contributions and advice when people are asking for them? Or joining the cooking club?

Hi Neuro - I do give as much advice as I can on the gardening section! I grow a lot of my own food, so this is kinda my way of contributing here, there is no offence meant!

A lot of people see dandelions as a weed, but they can be turned into a lovely honey.
    Traditionally in the Alps, they make a syrup/honey from the flowers and use lemon as the citrus component.
    I find lime is a better, more subtle twist.
    200 gm (2 teacups) Dandelion petal heads - the green leaf and stem bits removed as they are bitter

1 Litre boiling water

zest of 1 lime

juice of 1 lime
    300ml (3 teacups) sugar
    1 tsp Pectin (this is already added in jam making sugar)

Place two cups of dandelion heads into a mixing bowl and add the zest of the lime.
    Pour two cups of boiling water over.
    Leave overnight to infuse.
    You can add a few apple peels to help the setting proces.

Add the lime juice and bring the mixture to the boil.
    Add the sugar and pectin and boil rapidly for 10 minutes, then start checking while it reduces for set point.
    This will take some time, but you can always try a little carrageen seaweed to thicken it up, you do need to sieve it out at the end though.

After it reaches the desired consistancy, pour the mixture into warm sterile jars and waterbath to extend shelf life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

thanks Zuiderzee, I never thought of using them, but will give it a try :)

Advertisement