Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should gay couples be allowed to adopt?

• 03-12-2010 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

What are your opinions on this?
    Personally, i think it's very unfair to put a child through an upbringing where they will most certainly be victimised and bullied because of having same sex parents.

and i think if i were putting up a child for adoption, i wouldnt be too happy if i knew it was going to be adopted by a gay couple.

i know thats not the most politically correct attitude, but sometimes political correctness can extend too far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Personally, i think it's very unfair to put a child through an upbringing where they will most certainly be victimised and bullied because of having same sex parents.

Well societal opinions are changing! As they change bulling decreases. Should we also stop interracial marriages because it's unfair that the kids at school will slag you for having a black daddy? Move along please, this is the 21st century.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i wouldnt be for it anyway. however if society is tolerant of homosexuality there should be no reason to disallow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

imo no!

The way I look at it is that when the child goes to school he/she could be bullied for having gay parents, the way i look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

Well societal opinions are changing you chutney trolling ferret! As they change bulling decreases. Should we also stop interracial marriages because it's unfair that the kids at school will slag you for having a black daddy? Move along please, this is the 21st century.

not trolling at all mate, just looking for opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Here's a whole thread on the subject for those who missed it...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055920378

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Oh this is making me angry already.

Of course they should. A child needs a loving upbringing and parents who can provide for them. Why shouldn't a gay couple be able to do that?

And as for victimising and bullying, children may be bullied for having parents who are different sex, but are alcoholics, or criminals, or poor or whatever. There are so many different sex couples who are bad parents, but nobody questions whether they should be allowed have children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Absolutely!

Don't discriminate against anyone - the fact that homosexual couples cannot marry in this country is a total disgrace and in direct opposition to equality and the rights of those individuals.

For shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

and i think if i were putting up a child for adoption, i wouldnt be too happy if i knew it was going to be adopted by a gay couple.

i know thats not the most politically correct attitude, but sometimes political correctness can extend too far.

It's nice to know that you're thinking for others & nicely dictating who
    can & can't indulge in human urges, in the interest of niceness & appeasing
    bullies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

This subject has been done to death already. Someone close this abortion of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

What's to say having gay parents is worse than having parent's who drink and kick the sh1t out of you? If public attitude becomes more tolerant of it I think it should be allowed, there are way too many kids in bad situations who could benefit if it was allowed.

Of course they should

otherwise you might as well say don't adopt ginger kids or kids with glasses or kids who don't have the latest fashions :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"they might be bullied", seriously, the most crap argument in the history of arguments

Absolutely!

Don't discriminate against anyone - the fact that homosexual couples cannot marry in this country is a total disgrace and in direct opposition to equality and the rights of those individuals.

For shame.

how would you feel if your 5 year old son or daughter in school started being told fairy stories about ''the king and the king'' instead of ''the king and the queen''. this happened in califrnia when it became legal. its disgusting that children that young were being taught about homosexuality.

Legalising gay marriage is just going to encourage more people into engaging in homosexuality. Homosexuality is simply a behavioural disorder, psychiatrists the world over are in agreement about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Yes. A girl was on Dave Fanning recently who has two Mothers. If a child is loved and cared for by two people then how can that be a bad thing?

It's far better than a single parent and the adoption application process his hard going. The gay parents will be vetted as a male and female couple would.

I thought we moved on from this in Ireland.

p.s. I'm not sure I would agree with two ginger haired parents though ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I really really really really really really really really really really hate this argument. If we were to prevent people from adopting for fear that the child might be bullied because of some characteristic of the parents then no one would ever be able to adopt a child. Kids get bullied and victimised for a million different things and school yard immaturity should not decide government policy.

If we're to prevent gay couples adopting for this reason then I also propose that red haired children should have their hair dyed at birth and be legally required to keep it dyed for their whole lives. If someone found out they were a ginge they might get bullied :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes they should be considered.

Whether they should be given the same priority as heterosexual couples is another matter. If there were no suitable heterosexual couples, then surely everyone would agree that a homosexual couple would be preferable to state care?

Also [insert usual points about children of mixed race couples being made fun of, and children with glasses, etc.]

how would you feel if your 5 year old son or daughter in school started being told fairy stories about ''the king and the king'' instead of ''the king and the queen''.

Legalising gay marriage is just going to encourage more people into engaging in homosexuality. Homosexuality is simply a behavioural disorder, psychiatrists the world over are in agreement about this.

Are you joking me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

mle1324 wrote: »
    imo no!

The way I look at it is that when the child goes to school he/she could be bullied for having gay parents, the way i look at it.

Kids get bullied for EVERYTHING, literally the slightest difference gets you bullied. That's a bull**** bigotry masked as "think of the children"

Fcuk it, if Britney can have a 55 hour marriage and 2 people marry on the whims of complete strangers on Reality TV then why should Gay people not be allowed marry.

If any retarded 16 year old too stupid to use a condom can have kids then why can 2 loving gay parents not raise a kid that is put up for foster care or adoption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Should a single man be allowed to adopt a child or a single woman for that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I know a couple of kids who grew up in a same sex household and no other children ever said anything to them. Although, the other woman was described as an "Aunt" for a long time but when the kids started realising they still didn't say anything. Tbh, there are a lot of heterosexual couples who do terrible jobs as parents, how can they be any better than a same sex couple? And you can't really say that they shouldn't be allowed to adopt because the kids *might* get bullied, kids can get bullied for wearing a weird coat to school and the others never let it go.
    I mean, do two parents that have bad eyesight say "well we can't have kids because they will most likely have to wear glasses and therefore be bullied"? No because that is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

in the interest of niceness & appeasing
    bullies.

Because everyone knows the best way of dealing with bullying is to appease it and blame the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well currently single gay people can apply, so yes.

how would you feel if your 5 year old son or daughter in school started being told fairy stories about ''the king and the king'' instead of ''the kind and the queen''.

I'll have find the correct phrase is actually "The King and the Prince Consort".

I believe fellatio is in fact a behavioral disorders too, should we ban that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

Adoption is about the best interests of the child not the parents. There are lots of gay couples who would make fantastic parents and should not be prevented from doing so because of some prejudiced and outdated opinions. Similarly there are some gay couples who would not make good parents, nothing to do with their sexuality but just they dont have the skills to required. Same goes for heterosexual couples. As we will hopefully have marriage equality in the country in the next few years it would be absurd not to have equality in relation to adoption as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pawpad666

Yes, yes they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tricks

how would you feel if your 5 year old son or daughter in school started being told fairy stories about ''the king and the king'' instead of ''the king and the queen''. this happened in califrnia when it became legal. its disgusting that children that young were being taught about homosexuality.

So in your opinion, people with behavioural disorders should not be allowed to marry or adopt children.

sagat2 wrote: »
    Should a single man be allowed to adopt a child or a single woman for that matter?

i suppose it would be preferable to being in state care.

again though, id have some reservations about a single man adopting, less so for a single woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

imo no!

That's hardly the grounds for passing legislation punitive to a couple. Kids with red hair get picked on and slagged as well. Are you going to prohibit a couple who both have red-hair from having kids becuase those kids will most certainly also have red hair? Are you going to prohibit anybody from adopting a red-haired kid because that kid will be bullied?
    What about white couples adopting a black, or chinese kid?

Once again homophobes and bigots try to cloak their discrimination in pathetic concerns. Same old shabby trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I live in the city centre and see an alarming amount of drunk/strung out complete scumbag heterosexual parents dragging children around the place. Screaming at them. Carrying a can in one hand. Absolute nastyness.

Gay people adopting kids should be the least of your worries when it comes to bad parenting/upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Source?

Didn't think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

People don't choose to be gay - it's not a lifesyle choice.

They find the same sex attractive and that's that. Why should we tell them that they are wrong...

The children, regardless of what they're told (and as you put it, before your ninja edit - don't worry, I seen it) that it would not be acceptable if they were led to believe homosexuality was ''ok'' - you are in homophobic territory here and it's pathetic.

Whats 'wrong' with homosexuality. I see absolutely no problems with it. You sir, are a cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    Source?

www.godhatesfags.com tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

the real question is should straight parents be allowed gay kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Kids get bullied for EVERYTHING, literally the slightest difference gets you bullied. That's a bull**** bigotry masked as "think of the children"

Fcuk it, if Britney can have a 55 hour marriage and 2 people marry on the whims of complete strangers on Reality TV then why should Gay people not be allowed marry.

If any retarded 16 year old too stupid to use a condom can have kids then why can 2 loving gay parents not raise a kid that is put up for foster care or adoption.

I never said that gay people werent capable of looking after and caring for children (Im sure they'ed do just a good job as a straight couple) and yes children of all ages can get bullied for the slightest thing but face it being bullied for having gay perents is going to be more extream then most other things in which one could be bullied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I’m not bothered about gays meeting gays and doing whatever floats there boat but don’t push your luck expecting to blend in with everything else in society. Look ladies ye are not normal ye might pretend your normal ye might have a few students waving flags saying ye're normal but seriously ye are not normal.END OF...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Of course they should be allowed. In fact, with overpopulation a looming threat, I think we should be encouraging homosexuality as much as possible. The bullying argument is rubbish, kids get bullied for anything and everything.

Demolitionman, it's you, as a bigot, who I would have more of a problem having kids. You would probably say you wouldn't push your views on your kids, but it's far more likely you would.

not trolling at all mate, just looking for opinions

No sorry, you are clearly trolling .... mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Would you listen to this crap!

Homosexuality is NOT a behavioural disorder any more than being left-handed or ambydextrous is. Where did you get that nonsense from. Also can you provide a source as to where you learned that "psychiatrists the world over are in agreement on this"?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Yes, absolutely. I have never seen a reasonable argument against it. Gay people are able to raise a child just as well as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

again though, id have some reservations about a single man adopting, less so for a single woman

Why is that? Beyond the pregnancy and breastfeeding part, gender doesn't make a difference to how well a person can care for a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I never said that gay people werent capable of looking after and caring for children (Im sure they'ed do just a good job as a straight couple) and yes children of all ages can get bullied for the slightest thing but face it being bullied for having gay perents is going to be more extream then most other things in which one could be bullied for.

Proper punctuation makes for an easier read. Same with proper spelling.

That said, I call bull**** on everything you just said. They probably would get a little bit of sh1t about it, but it would not be so bad that it could be considered worse than what anyone else would get.

Show me evidence to say it would. If it's your gut feeling, then you are simply masquerading bigotry with a hysterical "somebody think of the children" arguement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Of course they should be able to, anybody who says they shouldn't are doing so because they think it's ok to discriminate a little bit against gay people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Funfair wrote: »
    I’m not bothered about gays meeting gays and doing whatever floats there boat but don’t push your luck expecting to blend in with everything else in society. Look ladies ye are not normal ye might pretend your normal ye might have a few students waving flags saying ye're normal but seriously ye are not normal.END OF...

Anyone who finishes their sentences with "END OF" is a fucking arsehole. Period.

Until I see a legitimate argument against allowing gay couples to adopt, I have no problem with the idea. With regard to the "but they'll get bullied" argument - kids get bullied for all kinds of reasons... being too fat, too thin, too intelligent, too unintelligent, wearing the 'wrong' clothes, having the 'wrong' accent... or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Denying gay people the right to adopt on the grounds that it might give the bullies yet another 'reason' to attack a child is idiotic, because it abandons the entire notion of fixing the actual causes of bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Merrick wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely. I have never seen a reasonable argument against it. Gay people are able to raise a child just as well as anyone else.

Your right they rare children all the time in Fairy land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

No way. Two men weren't made to have a baby together so why should they bring up one?

It's just plain wrong.

Le King wrote: »
    No way. Two men weren't made to have a baby together so why should they bring up one?

It's just plain wrong.

A woman and a man who have fertility problems "weren't made to make a baby together."

Should they be not allowed adopt?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement