Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Mature student/Points application

Options
  • 03-12-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this query...

I want to return to college in 2011. I had previously expected that I would need to apply as a mature student so I enrolled myself in a 1 year course to gain more experience to improve my chances of being accepted.
    I have just started to gather my information for my application and as I was looking at the course description again, I looked at the CAO point cut off for last year I saw that the 1st round was 350 and the cut off was 335 for this course!
    I have completed a leaving cert, I think from memory my points were around 355 which means I would probably have gotten in based on last years cutoff points.
    I'm a little confused as to what to do, can you make 2 applications through the CAO, one as a mature student and the other based upon lc results? Would it be silly of me to apply only through the points system? (the course is architectural technology, given the current economical situation I'm not sure people will be applying for this course...)
    If I do apply as a mature student are there any benefits from entering through this method over being a regular student?

I'm a little bit lost at the moment, the college is holding an open night on Tuesday so I will go to that and hopefully it will answer most of my questions but I would like to get opinions here too if anyone can help? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭batistuta9

you can only make one application through CAO as far as i know -nearly sure about that- and all your course choice's have to be on that application as well. i think you would be better off applying as a mature student if your the age, because most courses reserve places for mature students and they should be able to tell you on tuesday if it's like that, you have a better chance off being accepted by going as a mature student. i applied that way and included my LC results but not even sure if they mattered because they wernt that good and i heard since you dont even have to include them not sure about that though but mature student = better chance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

if you'll 23 or over on 01/01/11 you apply as a mature student.
    similar application process, but it's a bit longer. you complete a personal statement and there's a few extra sections for your experience/qualifications ect.
    you also include your leaving cert number and results in the application.
    you go through the mature student application process, i.e getting called for interview/exams ect.
    meanwhile your leaving cert points are recorded so if your mature student application is unsuccessful you'll be put into the points race with the school leavers - if you have enough points you'll be offered a place just like a standard application.
    best of luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Bobby42 wrote: »
    if you'll 23 or over on 01/01/11 you apply as a mature student.
    similar application process, but it's a bit longer. you complete a personal statement and there's a few extra sections for your experience/qualifications ect.
    you also include your leaving cert number and results in the application.
    you go through the mature student application process, i.e getting called for interview/exams ect.
    meanwhile your leaving cert points are recorded so if your mature student application is unsuccessful you'll be put into the points race with the school leavers - if you have enough points you'll be offered a place just like a standard application.
    best of luck!!!

That is what I did when I made my application last year (from advice received here :)), its worth that extra bit of peace of mind knowing there is fall back plan.

Good luck with your plans.

Edit: there can be advantages from being accepted.as a mature student such as; extra orientation, maths revision courses and peer mentors, it all depends on the college you plan attending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Thanks, thats exactly the information I was looking for!! The CAO handbook can be a bit difficult to understand! :o
    Thank god if I don't get accepted as a mature student I still have a chance of getting in with my points, from what I hear it isn't very easy getting accepted as a mature student these days it seems everyone is thinking of going back to college!!
    Thanks for replying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

*Lees* wrote: »
    Thanks, thats exactly the information I was looking for!! The CAO handbook can be a bit difficult to understand! :o
    Thank god if I don't get accepted as a mature student I still have a chance of getting in with my points, from what I hear it isn't very easy getting accepted as a mature student these days it seems everyone is thinking of going back to college!!
    Thanks for replying! :)

Also for most colleges even if you are a mature student who gets in on a points basis you can still avail of mature students supports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I just want to add one final point and often can be overlooked is by having to fill out the personal statement (if going the mature entry route) part of the form and also doing the interview it requires a bit of *soul searching* for the lack of a better word. And this can be a good thing as you have to look at yourself and say is this what I really want to do and am i really prepared for this type of course. I only wish the Leaving Cert/CAO had this requirement the first time I applied to college.

Trekmad wrote: »
    I just want to add one final point and often can be overlooked is by having to fill out the personal statement (if going the mature entry route) part of the form and also doing the interview it requires a bit of *soul searching* for the lack of a better word. And this can be a good thing as you have to look at yourself and say is this what I really want to do and am i really prepared for this type of course. I only wish the Leaving Cert/CAO had this requirement the first time I applied to college.

What you wrote is incredibly true! I went straight into college after school and ended up in a course I absolutely hated! I was always either falling asleep in classes or not turning up at all completely out of lack of interest! I dropped out in the middle of second year and the experience really put me off going back to college as I always just thought that I just wasn't capable of learning and studying! As I've gotten older and wiser I have come to realize I was just in the wrong course!

The mature students night was canceled last Tuesday because of the weather and has been postponed until 19th January, too late in my opinion considering the CAO applications must be in by the 1st February! I'm thankful I found this section on boards, I found Larianne's sticky on applying as a mature student really helpful! :)

I have a copy of the 'ideal' CAO Personal statement from the Mature Student Officer in NUI Maynooth if thats any good. I have it as a hard copy but will transcribe it if you want it.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    I have a copy of the 'ideal' CAO Personal statement from the Mature Student Officer in NUI Maynooth if thats any good. I have it as a hard copy but will transcribe it if you want it.

Really??.. wow! :) That would be brilliant if you could, if you wouldn't mind!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you PM your email address I can send you on my own personal statement I used in my application.

• Advertisement

*Lees* PM me your email and I'll send it on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Planes

Hi paperclip and larriane, can u pm me as well thanks. Kind of new to the board so not sure of how to send u my pm adress. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tropics

Could someone please send me a copy of the personal statement?? I'm am totally wound up about it. I have been attempting to write it for two weeks now!!
    Any help at all would be much appreciated.

By the way Larianne your tips post is excellent, lots of very useful info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭2ndchance

Hi all, have been reading through threads to try and get some useful onformatio and came across this one. It is really great how helpful everyone is. I intend to apply to maynooth for 2011 and at 42 I would really like to get through first time but realise competition is fierce! I have a decent leaving cert albeit from 1986 but have no idea how it translates points wise so my statement would need to be very strong. Also I was granted a place there in 2000 but unfortunately had to leave at Christmas as one of my children became sick. My application from that time and exam must have been ok but it's 10 years later and I don't feel as confident about it this time! Will that be held against me, do you think or might the fact that I'm still interested in studying support my application. Since then I have completed an nui certificate although not in the subject I'm now interested in. Would really appreciate any opinions and if anyone could send me A sample statement it would be really appreciated. Many thanks, Julie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kcjones

Hello I was wondering if you still have the "ideal personal statement" ? I am trying to see what I need to include in the statement as a mature student :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

paperclip2 wrote: »

could you send me a copy of that too. that would be a great help.
    im well lost with this application.
    the open days helped a bit.
    some research suggests that not everyone applying gets the chance to interview so it really all depends on the CAO application. hopefully i get the chance to interview because its hard to portray how you feel about the course on paper sometimes

could you send me a copy of that too. that would be a great help.
    im well lost with this application.
    the open days helped a bit.
    some research suggests that not everyone applying gets the chance to interview so it really all depends on the CAO application. hopefully i get the chance to interview because its hard to portray how you feel about the course on paper sometimes

In what way are you lost?

Have you looked at the tips I've posted on this forum? They should help. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

Also if you are having trouble thinking about how to start your Personal Statement I used two websites - the student room - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library and studential http://www.studential.com/guide/write_personal_statement.htm

Larianne wrote: »

[/URL]

i just got back from trinity. they need a seperate application to the CAO so good thing i found out that was on today.
    thats the type of thing. just not being sure if the application is done right or if i just dont know about something altogether.
    it looks well easy to not be considered for the smallest of mistakes.

im mostly concerned about the pre interview shortlisting because my CAO application isnt big enough to show my intersts and also i dont have any jobs or education to make them think i really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

i just got back from trinity. they need a seperate application to the CAO so good thing i found out that was on today.
    thats the type of thing. just not being sure if the application is done right or if i just dont know about something altogether.
    it looks well easy to not be considered for the smallest of mistakes.

im mostly concerned about the pre interview shortlisting because my CAO application isnt big enough to show my intersts and also i dont have any jobs or education to make them think i really want it.

A tip for the Trinity application process - put a good amount of effort into the Trinity application form as they really look at this as your whole application and see the CAO one as a formality.

Make sure you know everything that you have put on it - dates, ect.

They tried to catch me out last year in the interview by asking for the dates of a course I did a few years ago. So definitely go over your application before the interview. They people interviewing you will have your application in front of them and will pick a few parts out to ask you about.

A general tip for mature student applications - don't look up other personal statements!!! You really have to do this completely on your own. You really need to be yourself in this statement. Don't write what you think they'd like to hear. The more original your statement is, the more it will stand out and improve your chances. I can't stress this enough! Just remember the most important thing to get across in a personal statement is why you want to do the course - why is it important to you personally - not "I want to go to trinity or wherever because its a great college" they will hear that hundreds of times.

Best of luck.

Larianne wrote: »

Have you looked at the tips I've posted on this forum? They should help. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

Also if you are having trouble thinking about how to start your Personal Statement I used two websites - the student room - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library and studential http://www.studential.com/guide/write_personal_statement.htm

nice one robby. i might have a look at the structure of other peoples personal letters but i know what you mean,
    sounds good.
    cheers

• Advertisement

Yep, I definitely agree with Bobby on the personal statement. As it says in the title it is your personal statement! They don't want to hear anything about why you want to go to the university they want to know why you want to do the course, what made you decide to do the course, why you think you will be able for the course and what you will get out of the course.

But I did look up other personal statements to get an idea on how others have written them and what format they should be in.

Also, with the Trinity Application, put in as much information that you think is relative to the course. It is something that you need to put a lot of effort into. I had forms coming out of my ears when I did it. But in the end, it is totally worth it. You have to show them why you want this course and why they should pick you out of hundreds of others!

Also, you say you didn't know there was a separate application for Trinity. This caused alarm bells ringing in my head. Make sure you read everything piece of information on any forms, websites, documents you receive.

cheers for the advice.
    hopefully im called for the interview and then il be able to convince them how much im interested in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Im applying to NUI Maynooth and I have to write a personal statement and its so so hard. I have such a headache trying to do it been trying for what seems like forever now! Can anyone help me? How do I even start? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Give me a pm and I will try to help, I did one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Erm I only wrote about 4 lines in my personal statement didn't realize the importance of it am freaked now is I too late too send one in????

smyths wrote: »
    Erm I only wrote about 4 lines in my personal statement didn't realize the importance of it am freaked now is I too late too send one in????

Contact them and see about changing it. Only problem is that a lot of the unis/colleges will be looking at applications now if not before now so it might be too late to change it.

You've nothing to lose by asking them.

Advertisement