Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

02 BMW 320D E46 150BHP Problems - 115000MLS

• 03-12-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hoping to get some opinions on a few issues I'm having with my car.

1 - It blows smoke when started from cold. If I try rev (in neutral) the car struggles for 3 seconds or so, blows much more smoke and then finally revs. After which all is fine. The smoke blown seems more whitish blue that black. Whether this is coolant or fuel or oil i dont know.

2 - I've noticed that the car is blowing a good puff of black smoke when I accelerate quite hard. I know a certain amount is expected but this is blowing too much.

3 - Since yesterday the car has developed a slight whistle on acceleration. Im suspecting a turbo issue or turbo piping leak but I'm unsure. Power is fine though.

Any suggestions on this? I'll be getting the car to my mechanic before hand but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before committing to what could be expensive repairs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

1 - It blows smoke when started from cold. If I try rev (in neutral) the car struggles for 3 seconds or so, blows much more smoke and then finally revs. After which all is fine. The smoke blown seems more whitish blue that black. Whether this is coolant or fuel or oil i dont know.

Mine blows some white smoke when cold but it goes once warmed up a bit, I think its condensation in the exhaust. The hesitation seems strange though, see comment under point 2 below.
    2 - I've noticed that the car is blowing a good puff of black smoke when I accelerate quite hard. I know a certain amount is expected but this is blowing too much.

Could be dirty injectors, try getting a good injector cleaner like wynns or redex.
    3 - Since yesterday the car has developed a slight whistle on acceleration. Im suspecting a turbo issue or turbo piping leak but I'm unsure. Power is fine though.
    They all whistle a good bit on acceleration, are you sure you just haven't noticed it before? I find mine is a bit louder in the cold weather, particularly before its warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

go to garage but it looks like glow plugs are old and cant work properly when cold, intercooler hose or turbo leaking ... or leaking injectors as previous lad said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Thanks for the replies. Mechanic replaced breather unit in it. Started once from cold and no problems so far. Didn't really notice black smoke today but I got some injector cleaner. Whistling sounds seems gone now thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

u mean air filter right ?

No. Air filter was done a few weeks ago during service. I believe the breather is a crank shaft breather containing filters. I've read it's recommended to replace these very couple of services

• Advertisement

An update

For the first time the power dropped whilst driving at a constant speed of 120km/hr - not whilst accelerating

It then came back a few mins later. This evening it came and went several times.

I've been doing some reading and many ppl have had success in changing the MAF. This part is pricey enough. Ive already tried two sensors with no luck. Is there any way of testing the MAF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

MAF sensors are pricey, if you could talk to a BMW mechanic ask to do a

"swap test" in their garage. Done this with my Impreza with Subaru.

Takes 5 minutes to check. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

An update

For the first time the power dropped whilst driving at a constant speed of 120km/hr - not whilst accelerating

It then came back a few mins later. This evening it came and went several times.

I've been doing some reading and many ppl have had success in changing the MAF. This part is pricey enough. Ive already tried two sensors with no luck. Is there any way of testing the MAF?

Your symptoms point towards an air leak - check the boost pipe from the right side of the intercooler up to your EGR, the flexi joint could have perished. Even a slight crack here will increase 10-fold when the car is boosting - so pay extra attention when checking it over.

To test your MAF, disconnect it momentarily and see how the car performs. If there is an improvement in idle/acceleration (flat spotting) it needs replacing. Dont scrimp on it, replace with OEM (i.e. Bosch - expensive but you get what you pay for).

From your previous posts, I'd be wary of your turbo. If your experiencing blue smoke and a whistling turbo, it could be on its way out. Not wanting to scare monger, but pay heed to the tell tale signs, otherwise you'll have a far larger bill on your hands if it goes bang bang whilst driving.

A previous post of mine - might be of use: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68858411&postcount=17

I reckon your turbo hasn't taken kindly to the breather filter being over due a change, blue smoke is oil being burned, your mechanic doesn't inspire confidence either to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Its impossible to say without checking the car but the 320d's are very prone to having turbo's fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Something you could do yourself would be clean the EGR valve. This can cause some of the problems your having with the car. There is a good youtube clip showing how to do this 2 man job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

is it just me or is that a terrible way of cleaning an egr? shouldn't it be taking out and washed in a special chemical?that engine is screaming for mercy.

Advertisement