Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market in Grand Parade.

Options
  • 03-12-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone has been down to the Christmas market in Grand Parade, is it any good? Thinking of heading up to the city to see it on Sunday, there was a whole suplement in The Examiner about the Christmas goings on in the city and there looks to be a lot of nice things going on. Any feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Weather permitting, will check out market tomorrow and will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

I haven't checked it out yet but hope to over the weekend. I do know that there is a stand there that is usually at the farmers market in bishopstown court on Thursdays, and the guy does the most gorgeous Falafel! I highly recommend giving it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

I had a walk through the market today. Nice atmosphere but personally I'm not willing to pay E4.50 to E6 for a burger, E6 for a box of noodles, E4 for a sausage in a roll . Recesssion my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Disappointed to hear those prices. Sound something similar to those I saw at a market there in the Spring I think it was. Is it greed? Is it genuinely higher costs here? Or a combination? Makes me mad, everytime I see identical products so much more expensive here than in the UK, as in 50%, 100%.
    On the one hand, especially at times like this with exceptional weather, you see acts of kindness. But consistently you also see rip-off prices in almost every area of commerce.
    Very sad :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I visited there this morning. As other posters said, some prices on the dear side. Though I picked up a nice owl statute at a decent enough price. Pity it is not enclosed like it was last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

So what if the prices are a bit dearer. There are additional costs for setting up and the quality of the stuff is generally good. Adds a great bit of buzz to the place.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Avoid the Rebel Burger. Taste (and appearance) is reminiscent of a 1/4-pounder version of those cheap BirdsEye burgers that were around when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was at it today and was quite disappointed. It was very much a farmers market with the main emphasis on food. There wasn't as much in the way of crafts or Christmassy stuff as I would have liked. It's worth having a look if you're in the city but not worth a special trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gpf101 wrote: »
    So what if the prices are a bit dearer. There are additional costs for setting up and the quality of the stuff is generally good. Adds a great bit of buzz to the place.

Very low costs when compared with eg a cafe. Even if good, still far too high...

ncmc wrote: »
    I was at it today and was quite disappointed. It was very much a farmers market with the main emphasis on food. There wasn't as much in the way of crafts or Christmassy stuff as I would have liked. It's worth having a look if you're in the city but not worth a special trip.

A lot of the craft folk were either at the Cobh Arts and Craft Fair or the Macroom ditto. A fine array of Christmas and other crafts, but a poor turn out because of the weather; we had a stall at Cobh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

€4 for one sausage roll ain't 'a bit dearer'. Thats completely taking the piss. Unless its a foot long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

parsi wrote: »
    Avoid the Rebel Burger. Taste (and appearance) is reminiscent of a 1/4-pounder version of those cheap BirdsEye burgers that were around when I was a kid.

Wish I read this post before going.

Got 2 burgers for €9. extremely poor.

I should have walked 10 yards to hillbillies for one of there chicken burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I took a trip down last weekend and thought it was a bit so so. I tried the fried rice when I was there, tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Went there last sunday didnt have time to stop at the market itself but went to the peace park for the christmas scene and it is brilliant. Its great for the kids and the setting at the beamish brewery for santas workshop is fantastic.

To be honest if the atmosphere was good and I was enjoying the spectacle then I'd hapily pay €9 for two burgers or €4 for an O'Flynn sausage roll. Not a bother. If I popped into pretty much any pub in the city I'd pay €9 for two Heineken.

I can appreciate if people wouldn't pay it that's fair enough but it wouldn't be an issue at all for me.

To be honest if the atmosphere was good and I was enjoying the spectacle then I'd hapily pay €9 for two burgers or €4 for an O'Flynn sausage roll. Not a bother. If I popped into pretty much any pub in the city I'd pay €9 for two Heineken.

I can appreciate if people wouldn't pay it that's fair enough but it wouldn't be an issue at all for me.

Old saying.. "More money than sense.." The O'Flynn stuff is not that good, frankly. Someone shared that with me once and it was disappointing to say the least. Drowned in cheap tomato sauce too. yukk

I "get" the "appeal" of a street market as we trade there each week; but that kind of price is outrageous.

You must be well off!! I spend around a euro a day on food - period.

Ay Kinsale the one decent thing was a crepe, sugar and butter, for E2.50 qand even that is a rip- off.

But then we are penniless pensioners and know the real cost and value of things.

To be honest if the atmosphere was good and I was enjoying the spectacle

What spectacle ? It's a load of stalls selling tat and overpriced junk food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I was all excited walking through there on my way to college at lunch time. Then I saw the prices. There's only so many times you can use the word 'gourmet' to tack a couple of extra euros to the price. I actually took the extra 10 minutes to get myself a Lennox's lunchtime meal. Stodgey but about 4 times the amount of food for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Food prices at the market are a little steep considering the costs which they must entail.

On the plus side, it's a nice atmosphere and you don't have to buy if you don't want to.

I thought the park is done up really nicely, great place to take your kids through and take photos. However, when you reach the end of it you don't get to see Santa, you need to pay €2 per person to visit another 'Santa's Secret Village' to see Santa. I think this is a very reasonable price considering what it costs too see Santa is other places. I know you don't get a present but I think this is the way it should be, kids shouldn't expect a present when they visit every Santa.

Overall, I think it's a lovely atmosphere and you don't have to pay for the payable stuff if you don't want to.

Food prices at the market are a little steep considering the costs which they must entail.

On the plus side, it's a nice atmosphere and you don't have to buy if you don't want to.

I thought the park is done up really nicely, great place to take your kids through and take photos. However, when you reach the end of it you don't get to see Santa, you need to pay €2 per person to visit another 'Santa's Secret Village' to see Santa. I think this is a very reasonable price considering what it costs too see Santa is other places. I know you don't get a present but I think this is the way it should be, kids shouldn't expect a present when they visit every Santa.

Overall, I think it's a lovely atmosphere and you don't have to pay for the payable stuff if you don't want to.

Have to say we don;t know the fee stallholders at that market pay. Some of the Craft Fairs are costly indeed; the big craft fair at Rosscarbery was between E110 and E180 a table. Local markets eg Kinsale tend to be around E30 a stall.

Weigh that against the cost of running a shop...

And of course the Christmas events want to make money;)

There was some truly fine craft at Cobh yesterday also. Skills that take the breath away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have to say we don;t know the fee stallholders at that market pay.

Before someone else pops in...when I said

"Food prices at the market are a little steep considering the costs which they must entail."

...I didn't mean that the stallholders had to pay a fee as I'm not sure if they do or not. I'm referring to their cost of produce/goods compared to the price they are selling it. E.g. compare the price of a Flynn's sausage roll to the cost of making it.

Just clearing that up :)

Ya I'm loaded, splashing out €4.50 on a burger. Reckless.

Some miserable tight fisted posts here I must say. I suppose you'll have the last laugh when I'm stranded looking at tat and eating overpriced junk food. That'll be an hour of my life I'll never get back. Christ people go and have a bit of originality and spot a chance to make a few quid by providing a nice pleasant attraction and there has to be sad miserable gits putting a damper on it. Clear off and stay away from it if you don't like it. Sad...

Edit: I wrote this when I was very cranky...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

To be fair like the peace park isn't half as good as last year or half as good as it could be. it only happens once a year..

then to add insult to injury they sell things at rocket prices!
    I got a 'deluxe cheddar burger' , it was vegetarian and it was a load of ****e. A cheap bap with cheap cheese and a burger which tasted like water..

The only thing I love about this market is the woman who sells the sambusaks (always get one of them) , chocolate brownies, cookies, cakes, falafel . Her prices are realistic and the food wholesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

The whole area is hugely atmospheric.

Some miserable tight fisted posts here I must say. I suppose you'll have the last laugh when I'm stranded looking at tat and eating overpriced junk food. That'll be an hour of my life I'll never get back. Christ people go and have a bit of originality and spot a chance to make a few quid by providing a nice pleasant attraction and there has to be sad miserable gits putting a damper on it. Clear off and stay away from it if you don't like it. Sad...

Who are you referring to as a tight miserable git ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

...... if the atmosphere was good and I was enjoying the spectacle ....
    Thank you for your incisive remarks regarding Cork's people's sense of value for money. Did you actually visit the market yourself?

Yep, sure did. I even bought a sausage roll. More money than sense I have. I'm obviously annoying people here flashing my disposable income around so I'll leave ye too it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Got a box of veggie noodles off a stall there on Saturday. In fairness it was fairly delicious. Cost me a fiver though... :/

Not a good idea to post when you are cranky ever.

And why? For most of the nasty names you are calling us here, read POOR. Little money to spare etc etc etc.

And also folk of good taste etc who know good ( and bad) value when they see it .. which will raise standards everywhere.

NB most of the stallholders are regular also; this is their livelihood. If they keep standards high ( and we are market traders) then we will sell and please people.

A lot of the stuff on offer IS "tat" but among thst there are rare gems of true craft.

No way will we pay E3 for a cup of coffee, however good it is; we cannot do that simply. A flask is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

the food stalls there have to pay a huge fee for setting up - circa 2,500 euros, to the city so they have huge costs.

saying that I still don't think E5 for a burger is right, I'd like to support the traders so I bought some of the soap there but not the food its too expensive.

Advertisement