Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single parent return to 3rd level education

Options
  • 03-12-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi
    I'm a single parent 30 with 2 kids. I would like to attend 3rd level next year and do general nursing.
    I'm in full time employment at the min, but I've always wanted to do nursing.
    Could anyone give me advice as to what im entitled to...
    I need to know i can support my kids or else i wont do it.
    Can i get one parent family while in full time education?
    Would i be entitled to a grant?
    Is there anything i need to know, any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

shky wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm a single parent 30 with 2 kids. I would like to attend 3rd level next year and do general nursing.
    I'm in full time employment at the min, but I've always wanted to do nursing.
    Could anyone give me advice as to what im entitled to...
    I need to know i can support my kids or else i wont do it.
    Can i get one parent family while in full time education?
    Would i be entitled to a grant?
    Is there anything i need to know, any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Good Luck shky. I think its safe to say we're all waiting until Tuesday's budget announcement to find out that very answer. I applied to a course in DCU for next year but am waiting to see what happens with the budget announcement on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 angie07

you could prob be apply for Back to Education Allowence which I think is the eqvilent to Lone Parents Allowence, if you sign on the live register for job seekers benefit and then apply for the grant I am not sure if you have be employed a certain amount of months www.studentfinance.ie is a good website to find out your entitlements or www.citizensadvice.ie will tell you about the BTEA and grants for free fees, I am on lone parents also Im 30 with 3 kids I have applied for course in UCC so I am just goin see how it goes best of luck;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Angie just to point out if you go on back to education allowance you are not eligible for a grant however of you are on one parent family stay on it as you can get the grant with that payment! I rang citizens advice about this during the week as I'm in the same situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 angie07

thanks for that info I was a bit unsure how it worked I have applied for course in ucc 2011 i guess the best thing to do is apply for the grant not btea thanks for that:)

No problem I'd advise contacting citizens advice because there are a few more complications to it for example if you have rent allowance and stay on
    One parent sup then you loose the rent sup whereas if you change to btea you can keep rent sup! So it's best researching it and finding out which option
    Works better for you! Ive applied to ucc too all going well we will both be there this time next year! Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Lacha

Hi Shky, John, Angie and Confused,

How did it work out for you all? I'm a lone parent too and hoping to do a h-dip in NUIG next year. I hope I can get a grant to cover my fees. Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Lacha wrote: »
    Hi Shky, John, Angie and Confused,

How did it work out for you all? I'm a lone parent too and hoping to do a h-dip in NUIG next year. I hope I can get a grant to cover my fees. Any tips?

Hi Lacha. I didn't get accepted to my course. :'( I'm planning to do the Multimedia course through FAS and hopefully I'll get accepted next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lacha

Hi John,
    Brilliant. About the multimedia course. Just don't give up!

Hi lacha I'm just finished my first week in college! Alls going well my advice would be to get all the information gathered for the grant as soon as you can, keep all your utility bills as my grant has been delayed I'm waiting on esb bills from October last year! Look up the website see what documentation is needed and start gathering! Best of luck !

Advertisement