Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ultimate Android?

• 03-12-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a HTC Hero myself and am kind of getting tired of it and am really tempted to change to an iPhone 4....(i know, i know..)

To help stop my temptation, what android is coming soon that would be worth holding on for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭iknorr

nellocono wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a HTC Hero myself and am kind of getting tired of it and am really tempted to change to an iPhone 4....(i know, i know..)

To help stop my temptation, what android is coming soon that would be worth holding on for?

DesireHD is the best android at the mo... Just starting to appear in good numbers in shops now.

LG have a tegra 2 phone coming out in a few months. HTC usually have new phones about every 4 months.

Have you rooted ur hero yet? If not do it and install Floyo...its awesome.

I would also imagine with 2.3 rumoured to be coming in q1 2011 that there will be a lashing of new handsets for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I'm in the same boat as you. I recently got a Desire for my wife, and it's a bit sickening her having the far superior phone.

This time of year is not the best to be buying a new handset, with CES in January, and MWC in February - these are likely where the new handsets are going to be announced.

In fairness to the Irish operators, they weren't too slow to get phones launched in 2010.

I think that there will probably be a number of Tegra 2 phones at CES/MWC and hopefully these should launch around mid March/early April. Here is a photo of some benchmarking on an LG Star (if you believe any of those things)lg-star-quadrant.jpg

Obviously the Nexus S is the other interesting option. I am most excited that it might have near field communication capabilities, which I think will be the next major development for smartphones. Swipe your phone to get on the bus/luas/skipass etc. Here and here are the links to the NFC info.

In short, I'll be holding off to see what early next year brings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

iPhone 4 is an incredible handset. The issue with the desire (and the HD In perticular) is two fold, it is massive (due to the incredible screen) but with poor battery life - again down to the screen. Some users turn down brightness, or use app killers, or use it less to prolong battery life. IMHO a smart phone should be able to manage power better than this, or ship with a larger battery. I don't think users should have to make such sacrifices just to get a single days use from one charge.
    As for the handsets announced in jan/feb, there will be delays getting phones for carriers to test, then getting them through testing and finally getting them intomthe retail channels. Late Spring/early summer would be the earliest they will be seen. If a handset meets all your needs NOW, then get it. Youll get six moths of use and enjoyment while waiting for features youll probably never use.
    The non HD Desire would be my top android pick, mainly for the better battery life and mroe pocket firnedly size over the HD. iPhone 4 offers impressive battery life and that incredible screen. The camera is excellent and takes beautiful shots. Only issue I have is the signal strength. Its not the strongest, altho I've never dropped any calls, data can be frustratingly slow compared to my other handset, the Desire, or even the iPad. Although I suspect o2-UK's creaking network is contributing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Well I got a new Desire HD on Thursday. and the battery is much better than the old Desire, the problem people were having seemed to be a fault with the usb connection
    and seemed to be draining it too fast. which I think is why there was a delay of stock the last few weeks as they fixed it.
    I have spend hours and hours downloading and installing apps, trying them out and just messing around with the phone and the battery has been great.

I left it on over night and had less that 10-15% power used over 8 hours
    the ability to under-clock the CPU seems to have a big impact.

On the score my Desire HD gets 1916 which is 500 faster than the Nexus one on 2.2 and the Samson galaxy s is listed as getting about 800 score (on 2.1 i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭iknorr

Zagato is it a desire or Desire HD? These phone s are completely different. The HD is a far more advanced phone.

Coyote theres a bug with 2.2 on the DHD. You are correct with the usb debugging. Hopefully a permanent fix will be out soon. In the mena time switch ur usb debuggin to on.

bd250110 the issue with the battery life with the DesireHD is mainly due to the new phone panic and the way Android works. new phones tend to get alot of use in the first few days. With the DHD masssive screen it uses more battery than a smaller screen. A new user/DHD phone will use much more as the user will be using the phone more frequently in the first few weeks. Android is nothing like Apple IOS in regards to battery calibration and task killers. Android works like nothing that has been implemented before. Task killers dont work with 2.2 effectively. And if you read post from people who have the phone 2 weeks plus, they will say that the battery performance/android performance has improved considerably from when they first used the phone.

Zagato the near field communication is an impressive technology. I would love it to be implemented here. Japan have been using this for 5 years plus but still it hasnt appeared anywhere else since. Any ideas why?
    BUT i totally agree with your opinions on the Nexus S. It will be an awesome phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I know there have been some changes with 2.2. I understand that android views tasks and processes differently and semi-independently. I loose it a little byond that but 2.2 seems to improve this process and therefore battery life. Ive never gotten more than a day from my desire, the iPhone can easily do two, with the same usage. I hated needing to charge the phone by late afternoon and again at bed time. It wasnt the handset btw, I've had three different ones. Seem to have gotten unlucky! Are there any noises about a desire or legend replacement? They are a bit more pocket friendly.

I'm not so sure about the nexus S. Its another member of the galaxy S family. It will run vinilla android as opposed to Samsung's version and the HTCs seem to be rated more highly than the SGS family. Don't see what it brings to the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

bd250110 wrote: »
    iPhone 4 is an incredible handset. The issue with the desire (and the HD In perticular) is two fold, it is massive (due to the incredible screen) but with poor battery life - again down to the screen.

The HD is not "massive", and the battery issues have been exaggerated too.

Advertisement