Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water - Rahoon/Bishop O'Donnel road

Options
  • 03-12-2010 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anybody elses mains water supply is off in the Rahoon/Bishop O'Donnel road area, the mains is gone from our entire apartment block.
    At the minute thinking its the road works but crossing fingers not a burst main.

There's a notice of cutting water at night in those areas supplied from the Roundstone reservoir but nothing about day interruptions.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/WaterServices/Title,13364,en.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's probably another burst water main at the Westside pitches associated with the roadworks. I saw big diggers there earlier today.
    Something similar happened a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

from GCC's website...
    "Water Services - 03/12/10 Galway City Council Water Services Section wish to advise the public that they will be experiencing some disruption to the water supply along with low water ressure in the Westside of the City due to issues arising at Clifton Hill Reservoir. Galway City Council Crews are working on the problem and hope to have water supply restored as soon as possible. Galway City Council apologises for any inconvenience this may cause."

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Feel a bit thick now for checking the county instead of city webpage :o

Thanks though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

jkforde wrote: »
    from GCC's website...
    "Water Services - 03/12/10 Galway City Council Water Services Section wish to advise the public that they will be experiencing some disruption to the water supply along with low water ressure in the Westside of the City due to issues arising at Clifton Hill Reservoir. Galway City Council Crews are working on the problem and hope to have water supply restored as soon as possible. Galway City Council apologises for any inconvenience this may cause."

Any idea what time that was posted at? Our mains water has been off all day and we were assuming it was frozen pipes again.

Just to let ye know I braced myself and listened to Galway Bay just there. They're still working on the water.

Our heating is draining away (will have to get that seen to in the new year) so it's getting fairly cold here. Not fun with a baby in the house. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Same boat here. They say on twitter that they have the issue nearly resolved & apologies (posted 19 hours ago!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tomasocuinn

is there anyway to discover how long this will last for, I remember the same situation early this year with the cold spell, people leaving taps on and mains leaks caused low pressure.

Stay tuned to Galway Bay if you can bear it. I can't.

The person who updates the twitter/website/phone message is most likely off for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

1 o'clock news on Galway Bay: work still going on. No expected time mentioned.

Just to update, our water is now back.

• Advertisement

That is good news, pressire is still very low here in Maunsells Road, I expect it will take a day to recover.

still no water where I am, Bishop O'Donnel road across from the student village

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

still no water where I am, Bishop O'Donnel road across from the student village
    Aras Bun Caise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bailyman

No water on the Circular Road. But then we have only been off since lunchtime. :-)

Aras Bun Caise?

Aye,
    apparently working in Dun Aras, so guess its because of bad pressure and mains not reaching 2nd floor (or the tanks in the roof), must ask downstairs if their mains working,

Pressure still very low in Maunsells Road, not able to fill tank so effectively no water all day.
    Maybe over night the pressure may build some?
    I wish the city council cared enough to let people know what was wrong and how long they expect it will take to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BoscoMcLovin

Howdy neighbours :)

Living on high ground in Rahoon here and still no water for going on 4 days.

The City Council, in credit to them, had people answering phones until late last night, though I wish they'd post more information on the website and keep it up to date. The news is the same: the reservoir on Circular Road isn't filling sufficiently and for long enough to provide water pressure for those on high ground.

A quick drive around a few housing estates this morning will tell you why. Anywhere you see a big puddle in this cold weather you'll find a leaking pipe. You'll even find a few wide sheets of ice where the leaking water has frozen and spread out over the last week. No doubt a few dodgy landlords are adding to the problem by leaving taps running in vacant property to keep pipes from freezing.

If you have water this morning in the west side of the city please go easy and help the pressure build up. I need a shower! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 medieval78

It is a third day when there is no water in Aras Bun Caise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spoonhead

3 days without water is easy.................:D,try 3 days without bourbon thats tough

Hey again folks,

Just in case anyone doesn't know where to find water for washing etc. - there is a public tap in Salthill which isn't frozen. The one behind the public toilets on the prom opposite the Galway Bay Hotel was flowing well at 10am today.

The water tap is located at the green marker:
    Click here for tap map

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Aldi had 5L bottles of water for 1.39 yesterday. I got 18 of them. Hope there's some left for you guys.
    Is it too much to ask that the council send a water tanker to the area? Sheesh. Can't wait until they charge by the litre. We'll see 99% of the water produced never makes it to a tap.

EDIT: I see GCC have pretty much the same ETA unknown informationless post up today on their website. Can't they even make a guess?

This is a video of one of the water leaks I was talking about. You'll notice that there is water leaking here while at the same time I have none running from my tap (I live higher up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSS7Y5p-sU

The leak appears to be on private property (by maybe 6 inches?) and council policy is that it's the property owner's responsibility to fix the problem. I see this is unfair and impractical. Work of this kind is very expensive, and for the sake of water conservation if nothing else the council should fix problems like this immediately, and settle any issues of cost later. An option to pay back in easy monthly instalments maybe?

Whatever way you do it councillors, fix those leaks!

I heard on rte that it is only a handfull of houses that are subject to low pressure, it is people running taps to stop pipes freezing.
    I think it must be worse as the presure here is extreemly low, worse than January was.

Whatever way you do it councillors, fix those leaks!
    I think it's time to go HSE on their candy a55es!
    If they're destroying your water supply then they're causing a health hazard and they go to jail. Simples.

I heard on rte that it is only a handfull of houses that are subject to low pressure, it is people running taps to stop pipes freezing.
    I think it must be worse as the presure here is extreemly low, worse than January was.

As a stopgap so you can have a shower; if you have a hose that's long enough you can fill your attic tank from your kitchen tap.

I hear they're blaming householders for running taps on the national news without any mention of all the burst pipes around. Not saying running taps are a good thing but a bit of balance would be nice.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    As a stopgap so you can have a shower; if you have a hose that's long enough you can fill your attic tank from your kitchen tap.
    I doubt it. If you had enough water pressure to push the water from your kitchen to your attic then your tank would be filling up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's more than a handful of houses. 8 families I know of in Rahoon/Mincloon. Many had a bit in the pipes so it looked like it was fine but seems to be all off now!

Yes I agree if there was enough pressure the tank would fill, as the pipes are not frozen, now the hose is frozen but of course I could bring that in and free it, but not worth it, thanks for the suggestion.
    It has to be more than a few houses, that is just city council BS.
    I wish they would avoid such spin, we all recognise that there is challenges this time of year with burst pipes, people leaving taps on and shortage of money, so city council just tell us what is wrong, what are you doing to rectify it and how long will it take and stop this stupid spin, do they think we are complete fools?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah they do.
    Expect in a few days for the council to say that water supplies will be rationed as supplies are not being replenished as quickly as they are being used.
    Then magically it will start raining again.

• Advertisement

Does anybody honestly believe there are reservoirs that are empty when every ditch from Sligo to Limerick is flooded? These are the same guys who were poisoning us for years with effluent dosed water until a private testing company caught them out.
    And even if the reservoir was empty, what could GCC engineers do about it? A rain dance?

Advertisement