Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water - Rahoon/Bishop O'Donnel road

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The reservoirs are not empty. With people leaving taps running and burst pipes, and staying at home more, demand for water rises significantly. You may have noticed there hasn't been proper rain for quite some time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The leak appears to be on private property (by maybe 6 inches?) and council policy is that it's the property owner's responsibility to fix the problem.

You can always kango the pavement up outside, cut that pipe and cap it and presto no more leak :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

"I heard on rte that it is only a handfull of houses that are subject to low pressure, it is people running taps to stop pipes freezing.
    I think it must be worse as the presure here is extreemly low, worse than January was"

Are there people running taps who happen to be aware of the effects it might be having on the water supply or are they running them oblivious to the potential consequences? - I ask this out of curiosity whilst baring in mind the problem with substandard piping

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spoonhead

its all good now, give the city council some gratitude people, water is cheaper in dunnes than aldi as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

spoonhead wrote: »
    its all good now, give the city council some gratitude people

No its not no water with us, and don't think in the rest of the estate either.
    I will give them some gratitude when they work out a way of at least diverting some of the pressure from across the street (which has water the entire time i think) towards ourside at least for a night so the tanks can fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

its all good now, give the city council some gratitude people, water is cheaper in dunnes than aldi as well

Is your water back? Ours isn't.

So you're volunteering to drive all of us with no cars or unable to lift big bottles, yeah?:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Slightly cheaper, but they only sell 2L where Aldi have 5L bottles which are way easier to handle.
    As for gratitude, this sounds like something the council should be preventing rather than curing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Last year our bath broke and I had to fill it up with pots and the kettle.

Was a nightmare trying to get comfy with all that lot in it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tomasocuinn

our water tank filled overnight, so hopefully that means we are OK again TG

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

our water tank filled overnight, so hopefully that means we are OK again TG

That's great.

• Advertisement

GCC have stated that there are major leaks on Ashe Road, Henry Street, Merchants Road, Salthill.
    Also that people are running taps constantly. I think that's the main issue actually. Earlier this year during a cold snap, lots of pipes froze, so people are now not taking the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tomasocuinn

yes well presure is still too low during the day to refill water tank, so we need to spare the water untill all the leaks are fixed and people switch off the taps.

Tuesday evening and it is still very low pressure.

More water is being used at night than during the day in the western side of town, according to the Council. Obviously lots of taps are running at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

snubbleste wrote: »
    More water is being used at night than during the day in the western side of town, according to the Council. Obviously lots of taps are running at night.

While I agree that a lot of taps have been left on to cause the problem in the first place, the current high load at night I suspect is caused by all houses needing to top up their tank in the attic.

The council are pretty poor in their efforts at keeping people informed. It seems to be just one update a day on their website.
    When I rang them at the weekend, an update the phone operators were expecting from their engineers was over an hour late, so not even the staff dealing with the public are kept aware of the latest information.

I haven't had water at home for 2 days solid, tank in attic is almost empty, and over the weekend it was very sporadic.
    Getting pretty sick of it to be honest.

Bring on water metering I say - that'll quickly put a stop to the nonsense of leaving taps running.

Anyone else see "taps left running" as an all too convenient prelude to metered water charges?

Don't be so cynical!

snubbleste wrote: »
    Don't be so cynical!
    Why, will they come to get me?:D

Was away for a day or two and come back to find no water coming in from mains. Next door neighbour is gone too. Is it out again for other people in Rahoon?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Was away for a day or two and come back to find no water coming in from mains. Next door neighbour is gone too. Is it out again for other people in Rahoon?

It's frozen not off. Most of our neighbours water has been going gradually over the last week. We were first as usual! Don't expect it back til the end of next week if the hair dryer to the pipes doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We've had no water in Highfield since late last night. We have whatever is in the tank, but no mains coming in. Annoying as the shower is attached to the mains, and we can't flush the loo for fear of emptying the tank!!!

• Advertisement

Pet sitting for a neighbour up the road for a few days. Her water seems ok. Yeah seems like a freeze not a burst. :(

I asked around and it looks like it's fairly random which houses have frozen pipes and which don't. I suppose it'll depend on the weather if more people lose their water or get it back... I tried pouring two kettles into the little hole thing outside the house where it branches but it didn't work for me.

It's going to be a widespread problem. Ay least we're accustomed to it here. But a lot of people away for Christmas are going to get a nasty shock when they get home to burst pipes. I'm checking in daily on two of my neighbours' houses for them while away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jeez we must be awful lucky, we've never had any issues with freezing pipes apart from a pipe bursting in the shed last year which was above ground so was fixed within minutes.

I probably just jinxed myself

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

No water in our house in shantalla. What can I do to get it back if its just our house? Should'nt the big thaw this morning solve the problem?Tanks are still empty.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

In Newcastle. Water went off upstairs yesterday evening - no idea why since we had no problems this far. Downstairs pressure still strong. Thought maybe the rising main had frozen in the over-insulated attic but leaving the attic door open has had no effect.

Now, this morning, the pressure downstairs is getting quite low even though the thaw has set in. Wondering if the reservoir pressure is low but can't find info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pwpane wrote: »
    In Newcastle. Water went off upstairs yesterday evening - no idea why since we had no problems this far.

That is a bit dodgy, I would be concerned about a frozen pipe/thaw/burst were that to happen. It could be pressure is down as burst pipes take their toll, check a neighbours attic to see if their tank is filling robustly.

Most people are deffo frozen outside and in most cases the pipes will thaw in a few days and water will reappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Pwpane wrote: »
    In Newcastle. Water went off upstairs yesterday evening - no idea why since we had no problems this far. Downstairs pressure still strong. Thought maybe the rising main had frozen in the over-insulated attic but leaving the attic door open has had no effect.

Now, this morning, the pressure downstairs is getting quite low even though the thaw has set in. Wondering if the reservoir pressure is low but can't find info.

The water pressure in Upper Newcastle is very low since late last night. There's barely a trickle coming from the taps. Seems to be a problem with the main supply rather than frozen pipes

Whole St is out in Rahoon. Am still a bit confused re which tank/pipe goes where.
    As I understand it:

Mains (usually) runs in directly to kitchen tap (ours is gone)

Upstairs taps (cold) come from tank, as does loo refill

Central heating is often a 'closed' system, but gets a top up from a second tank in the attic?

Immersion tank fills from the big cold tank

Mains feeds all tanks.

Did I miss anything? Just don't want anything to blow up if we use the heating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Our water still off too, despite 'soaring' temperatures. But we have McIvored a temporary solution.

Just a theory: I reckon the loss of water to estates and individual houses in some areas was due to the severe cold gradually increasing the amount of ice in pipes. Like arteries furring up! This was exacerbated by lowered water pressure and decreased flow due to increasing numbers of houses being cut off.

If that is the case (and I'm just guessing really), then the return of water supply to some houses will take a little longer even when the thaw seems well under way. It takes time for the cold to seep through the ground as far as the buried pipes, and by the same token it will take time for the thaw to reach those pipes also.

Strangely, among our immediate neighbours, every second house (all semi-detached) is cut off. I don't know whether that is just a fluke, or whether there is some sort of pattern.

But, if the same is happening in your housing estate, and if by chance you have the same plumbing setup as us, then here is a possible solution.

Every house in our estate has an outside tap. Since our next-door neighbour's water is still on, I was able to connect a hose from his outside tap to ours. When both taps were switched on, the water pressure was sufficient to restore water to our kitchen tap as well as refilling the header tank in the attic. We now have working showers and toilets again.

I recommend investigating the possibility of organising a similar arrangement with a near neighbour.

Now that I think of it, even if they don't have an outside tap it might be possible to connect a hose to the rising main at their kitchen tap and then to your own kitchen tap. You'll just need suitable connectors and an adequate length of hose.

Good luck!

Advertisement