Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water - Rahoon/Bishop O'Donnel road

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tomasocuinn

pressure is still very weak

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

Still no water off the rahoon road.

Has been same for the last 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

We're up off Rahoon Rd too. Managed to fill two bottles last night then it stopped again. The tank half filled too I think, but now the mains is pretty much off again. I think it's coming back as the ice melts, but it's frozen out on street mains here.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Should there be water covering the stopcock.When I opened the cover outside the hole is full of water. Is this a sign of a burst pipe?

nifheorais wrote: »
    Should there be water covering the stopcock.When I opened the cover outside the hole is full of water. Is this a sign of a burst pipe?

Did it just happen? It could be trapped rain from last night, but could also be a leak.

• Advertisement

Back in business here off the Rahoon road. Water running, tanks filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Our water came back at 7:15 this morning.

We have several gallons of water filled in bottles, so if anyone is stuck PM me and I'll drop them off to you. No point in it (or the containers) going to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

No water here in Fr Griffin Road.

And it's a disgrace that there's nothing on the City Council website about the water situation since Dec 23rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

kraggy wrote: »

And it's a disgrace that there's nothing on the City Council website about the water situation since Dec 23rd.

It's the same in Upper Newcastle - most houses have had no water for four days and those that do have barely a trickle :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hello, it's a bank holiday like, tomorrow and Wednesday. Poor overworked staff need some time off..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Kraggy; corpo is closed for holidays.

For any of you with their showers connected to the mains; you may find that your shower won't function due to low prressure. In our case we had to pop out and clean the filter as it had filled up with sediment. Woeked perfectly after.

If you do have to do this, make sure you turn off the power to the shower and the water to it (we couldn't turn off the water flow, but do not try to do it with powere to the unit. You'll normally find a switch outside the bathroom or a pull cord inside the bathroom for isolating power to the shower.

To get to the filter take off the outer casing (We have a Mira Sport, so this may vary from shower to shower), which is held on by a philips screw at the top and at the bottom Inside there is another panel on the bottow left which pops off, and insode that you'll see a black plstic hex-shaped head facing down. Screw that off (you may need a spanner, and if you haven't turned off the water you'll definitely be getting wet now!). When you have it out, clean it under a tap, possibly with an old toothbrush. Then screw it back in tight, replace the covers, give it a minute or two, then turn back on the power and press the on button. Hopefully everything will now work fine.

Hope this is of some help to someone out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hello, it's a bank holiday like, tomorrow and Wednesday. Poor overworked staff need some time off..

Galway County Council managed to post an update on their website this afternoon as have other councils from around the country ......
    :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fionagus wrote: »
    Galway County Council managed to post an update on their website this afternoon as have other councils from around the country ...... :rolleyes:

The City Council is different, why, they work so hard at informing the citizenery that they need a period of rest especially at this time of year..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Fionagus wrote: »
    Galway County Council managed to post an update on their website this afternoon as have other councils from around the country ......
    http://www.galwaycity.ie
    "Water Supply Update: 27/12/2010
    Galway City Council are working over the holiday period to address current difficulties with the water supply.
    At present, we are prioritising a number of major bursts; including one on the east side of the city affecting the Ballybane area.
    We will continue to prioritise these major bursts as they arise.

We would ask landlords to check any vacant properties for any bursts that may have occurred over the holiday period.

We are also advising householders that the ground has frozen to a depth of two feet. This may result in some frozen services to individual households.
    We are asking householders to be vigilant for leaks as the thaw extends.

Galway City Council again asks people not to run taps in order to preserve the supply for the wider community. "

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Still no water, here in Knocknacarra

The 8x5 litres that I bought at aldis for €1.40 each ran out today after 2 days, so i asked the neighbours for a refill.

Turns out that the neighbour could help out. The garden hose at the back of her house managed to extend all the way to my back door and so I filled 8 x 5l bottles plus two buckets.

I found out where the stopcocks are. One underneath the kithchen sink, the other on the pavement in font of my frontyard.

I want to try defreezing it with hot water. How do I open the cover?

the pressure is even lower since the thaw, I assume that is because we now have leaks with no one to fix any and the landlords with enty flats have not yet got around to switching off the water they have left running to avoid freezing.
    so a combination of city council enjoying Christmas and landlords not caring.

maybe I was a bit harsh on the city council

Sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Just before 10.30am my wife turned on the tap and much to her delight, water came gushing out of it.

I cannot wait to have a lovely hot bath.

I'll make sure to be economical with the H2o.

The navy shower is how to wash if you want to be economical with the H2o.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower

• Advertisement

Now we can add a 'Galway shower', which is one with no water as that is the still the situation on Maunsells Rd with very very low pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

cianof wrote: »
    The navy shower is how to wash if you want to be economical with the H2o. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower

I shower like that all the time! Can't see the point in having the water running constantly. Mind you, we have a pumped shower (to compensate for the pathetic plumbing/water supply standards in this country) so if it's not turned off intermittently it uses a large volume of water. Guests using the shower are inclined to let it run too long. One -- not surprisingly an American* -- let the shower run so long that she drained the extra-large header tank and airlocked the system.

*Having a "Hollywood Shower", the antithesis of the Navy Shower. Going to have to be a new Navy-like disciplined regime when water charges inevitably arrive!

Now we can add a 'Galway shower', which is one with no water as that is the still the situation on Maunsells Rd with very very low pressure.

Then there's the "right shower of XXXXs", ie whoever you blame for the whole mess.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Our water is off again since the middle of the night last night (as is the rest of the estate) it's gone in the B+Q area too. No word on the council site and no one answering phones all day. I wouldn't mind but they were asking residents to report problems on the radio. Le sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Our water is off again since the middle of the night last night (as is the rest of the estate) it's gone in the B+Q area too. No word on the council site and no one answering phones all day. I wouldn't mind but they were asking residents to report problems on the radio. Le sigh.

Mine is gone too since last night but seen this on the council website so hopefully when the leak by joyce's is repaired it'll be back again:

Water Supply Update: 28/12/2010
    The severe weather has resulted in a surge in domestic demand. This surge is the result of the recent thaw, burst pipes and taps left running. The consequence is that reservoirs are at critically low levels and some parts of the City may experience outages during the day. Some households may also experience low pressure until the reservoirs have had a chance to recover.

There have been some major leaks on the network and these have been prioritised by crews working on the emergency response. In this regard, the major leak in Ballybane has been fixed and crews are concentrating today on a leak in Knocknacarra (near Joyces Supermarket), Mervue and Menlo.

Galway City Council again calls on the general public to conserve water and not to run taps in order to preserve the supply for the wider community. We also ask landlords to check their premises, shut off the water supply where there is a leak and to attend to the leaks.

Ground temperatures remain quite low and households are continuing to experience frozen services. Some of these services are only now starting to thaw.

They've repaired Joyces leak according to the radio this morning so it must be somewhere else. There were 2 or 3 very bad leaks on the Letteragh road during the freeze, could be them. An update today would have been nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Das Kitty, spotted you on my Mam's road yesterday, think you live a few doors away from her (we're in number 12). Still no water here and the house was out for a few days with frozen pipes over Christmas too.

Nothing up to date on either RTE or GalwayCity.ie Frustrating to say the least.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Das Kitty, spotted you on my Mam's road yesterday, think you live a few doors away from her (we're in number 12). Still no water here and the house was out for a few days with frozen pipes over Christmas too.

Nothing up to date on either RTE or GalwayCity.ie Frustrating to say the least.

Ha ha, yeah we're in 25, had the small fella out on his trike yesterday while it was dry.

The council have finally updated the website today and my suspicions about the Letteragh road are confirmed. They were some bursts!
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, looks like it'll be a trip to the Clybaun Hotel whenever nature calls so!

The council website seems to indicate they're throwing their hat at it for the night.

water totally gone now, they are a right shower alltogether.
    The only shower now is outside when it is raining, used to be called a 'tinkers shower' but I suppose that is no longer politically correct?

• Advertisement

does anybody know if there is water pressure in Maunsells Rd area?

Advertisement