Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibram fit

Options
  • 03-12-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

How snug should Vibrams be on the toes, should the end of the biggest toes tough the end of the toe pockets things?

Got a pair of KSOs and they are the size recommended based on the internet but not 100% if they are a little on the small size.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

Thats why I dont buy on the internet:D
    thay should fit like a glove.If they are too tight you will see the toes start to flex upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bought in bricks and mortar. A christmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Christmas present already, lucky you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When I was trying on a pair at the DCM expo I wasn't sure, so I had a feel of the guys feet who was selling them to me. Should be snug right up to the end of the toe pocket, but not tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I bought a pair in Wheelworx recently and was a bit worried that I had gone for a size too small because it took forever to get them on. Mine are very, very snug but I've had no discomfort in wearing them. It's also getting easier to get them on! I think my toes are adapting and stretching out! My toes go right to the tops of the pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just curious, what kind of terrain do you use for these things? Are you sticking to grass? Trails? Paths/concrete? I'd imagine planting a foot on a sharp stone would be quite painful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

Standing on a stone is sore but the more you do it the quicker your body reacts.(must be to do with the pain receptors or something)
    I will only use them on grass as I felt like I was 20stone overweight,could feel every bit of shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    How snug should Vibrams be on the toes, should the end of the biggest toes tough the end of the toe pockets things?

Got a pair of KSOs and they are the size recommended based on the internet but not 100% if they are a little on the small size.

My big toe is snug but not too tight. I manage to wear a pair of the injinji socks inside mine too. I tried on the size smaller and they were way too tight so I had no choice than to go with the size I bought. The cuts on the arch of my feet on runs over 5 miles p*ssed me off but the injini socks have stopped that happening.

pgibbo wrote: »
    My big toe is snug but not too tight. I manage to wear a pair of the injinji socks inside mine too. I tried on the size smaller and they were way too tight so I had no choice than to go with the size I bought. The cuts on the arch of my feet on runs over 5 miles p*ssed me off but the injini socks have stopped that happening.

Emmm the right one fits like a glove, the left one is a little too tight and I fear that they are too small for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

Mine are the same, I reckon a size bigger and small toes would slip out though. I found a mod on the web to stretch them slightly, hairdryer to heat the rubber and then wooden spoon on the inside and stretch. Careful not to do it too much though.

• Advertisement

Emmm the right one fits like a glove, the left one is a little too tight and I fear that they are too small for me :(

Given that most people have 2 different size feet, Vibram and other manufacturers should let us buy mixed sizes. That would sort us out! :D It's not as bad with runners but fit is very important for the VFF.

cmyk wrote: »
    Mine are the same, I reckon a size bigger and small toes would slip out though. I found a mod on the web to stretch them slightly, hairdryer to heat the rubber and then wooden spoon on the inside and stretch. Careful not to do it too much though.

Could you send the link on please? Did it work for you?
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Given that most people have 2 different size feet, Vibram and other manufacturers should let us buy mixed sizes. That would sort us out! :D It's not as bad with runners but fit is very important for the VFF.

Mine are the same size, but different shaped big toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

Could you send the link on please? Did it work for you?

http://birthdayshoes.com/got-morton-s-toe-lengthen-your-vibram-five-fingers-second-toe-with-this-mod

I adapted this method using a hairdryer. It did work, but I def didn't go overboard to the extent of the link. I might add that I use these for the gym (just saw thread on front page and hadn't realised which forum it was in, so I don't use them for running much yet, just gym work which might have a bearing as you'll slide forward a bit more running obviously.)

cmyk wrote: »
    http://birthdayshoes.com/got-morton-s-toe-lengthen-your-vibram-five-fingers-second-toe-with-this-mod

I adapted this method using a hairdryer. It did work, but I def didn't go overboard to the extent of the link. I might add that I use these for the gym (just saw thread on front page and hadn't realised which forum it was in, so I don't use them for running much yet, just gym work which might have a bearing as you'll slide forward a bit more running obviously.)

Ah saw that one - just didn't want to use a naked flame. Like the idea of a hair dryer - cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Just curious, what kind of terrain do you use for these things? Are you sticking to grass? Trails? Paths/concrete? I'd imagine planting a foot on a sharp stone would be quite painful?

I got a pair of these and you do feel anything sharp but your running on the balls of your feet most of the time and haven't felt it too much.
    Got these to try help get over my injury - working so far :)

Are your arches different on both feet? To check, sit down or stand up on your 2 feet then put 2 fingers inside each arch and you'll either notice a difference how far you can put your fingers in or you'll visually see a difference without doing it.
    My left foot fits like a glove in my kso's but the right foot doesn't because it's flatter which means some of the non existent arch touches the ground thus the rest of my foot is up near the top of the toe pockets.
    Eventually thou, my arch should return from wearing these for a good few months. Hoping it's the case as it's the problem I've been injured with the last year around my glut\hip area.
    If anyone knows where I can get socks for these let me know asap as they are beginning to stink! Preferably a bricks and mortar place.

keith123 wrote: »
    I got a pair of these and you do feel anything sharp but your running on the balls of your feet most of the time and haven't felt it too much.
    Got these to try help get over my injury - working so far :)
    You're running again? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Yep, planting your foot on a sharp stone is painful (less painful than bare feet but pretty painful nonetheless). Running on road and concrete is surprisingly comfortable as long as you're running "lightly" on your mid/fore foot. You're not (well I'm not) going to be doing a 2 hour road run in these but when my feet get more used to them I would have no problem running 4k to a park, running on grass/trails for a bit and running back 4k on roads/paths. At the moment I'm comfortable running for about 30 minutes in them. I tried running for 45 in them when I first got them (foolish exuberance) and felt the strain on my calves. Nothing major though. They're great for running through forest and stepping on twigs. They *make* you run lightly and I believe (no proof!) that I will run better back in my running shoes. I don't see myself ever wearing these in a road or a mountain race. Possibly on a cross-country course or Jane and Graham Porter's beach/dune race.

You're running again? :cool:

yeah only in the gym thou - hip/glut pain seems to be subsided so aiming to jog round the IMRA winter league if I can - not in the vibs thou! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

If anyone knows where I can get socks for these let me know asap as they are beginning to stink! Preferably a bricks and mortar place.
    Lash them in the washing machine on a low heat and allow to dry naturally. There not like normal runners where the cushioning will be destroyed by the heat etc in a washing machine.

• Advertisement

Yep, planting your foot on a sharp stone is painful (less painful than bare feet but pretty painful nonetheless). Running on road and concrete is surprisingly comfortable as long as you're running "lightly" on your mid/fore foot. You're not (well I'm not) going to be doing a 2 hour road run in these but when my feet get more used to them I would have no problem running 4k to a park, running on grass/trails for a bit and running back 4k on roads/paths. At the moment I'm comfortable running for about 30 minutes in them. I tried running for 45 in them when I first got them (foolish exuberance) and felt the strain on my calves. Nothing major though. They're great for running through forest and stepping on twigs. They *make* you run lightly and I believe (no proof!) that I will run better back in my running shoes. I don't see myself ever wearing these in a road or a mountain race. Possibly on a cross-country course or Jane and Graham Porter's beach/dune race.
    Thanks GoHard. I have done some running in my local park barefoot (at the cost of some very strange looks), but I was thinking, if you're planning on doing your running on the grass anyway, do you really need Vibrams?

For example, I have a pair of flimsy 'converse-a-like' shoes that cost me €4 in Dunnes boutique, that I originally bought for painting/wallpapering etc. They're so thin, it's like wearing nothing at all (stupid sexy flanders), but would provide the bear minimum of sharp rock/glass/syringe protection. I've taken to wearing them after long runs, as I find the lack of support almost comforting. Wouldn't something like that (or even a pair of swim-socks) provide some of the benefits of wearing Vibrams on soft/yielding terrain?

Aren't injinji socks the only type you can wear with Vibrams, due to the seperated toe nature of the shoe?

Aren't injinji socks the only type you can wear with Vibrams, due to the seperated toe nature of the shoe?

I believe so. I could only get my injini's on line from eBay. A colleague picked up a few pairs in the US for me also.

yeah I found the guy on ebay selling them but want to get some now instead of waiting a week for delivery

I'll ring around and see what comes up anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

robinph wrote: »
    When I was trying on a pair at the DCM expo I wasn't sure, so I had a feel of the guys feet who was selling them to me. Should be snug right up to the end of the toe pocket, but not tight.

thats different...:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jinka wrote: »
    thats different...:eek:

I did ask first. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FitFeet

Better Off being on the small side in my eyes! As long as there comfortable?

Advertisement