Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before I waste my time writing this song, advice please

• 03-12-2010 4:55pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

After listening to Crooked Still's version of Wind and Rain, I had an idea for a song which I think may turn out to be good.

However since apparently every song has already been written, could you tell me if you already know of a song like this.

The narrative is from a skeleton's point of view in the grave, about his lover, and how he ended up dead. I'm guessing her daddy-o caught him or something. Or maybe she was a treacherous wench. Who knows.

It is going to take me months or years to write it (that's how I roll), so you could save me years if you've already hear that song...

I'm not going to have access to ze interweb this weekend but will check again soon.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

if yo ask me i think taking that long to write a song is a waste of time...you write a song in the moment when the emotios are raw and painful....i find when im hungover i write the best songs as im very emotional when im hanging...the song sounds original though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you have this attitude of "wasting my time", which is clearly negative about the whole writing experience, then you're not going to write a very good song at all.

Is going to be some progressive up tempo song, very technical? Heavy? Jazz? Or is it going to be some boring bog standard singer/songwriter acoustic bollocks?

nailz.....good job

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I sounded more negative than I meant to.

The thing is, it takes me very, very, very long to write a song. I can't help it. It's either that, or not write at all. Or write a half-arsed singer-songwriter type of bollox to use your words.

So, I'm planning on writing the best song I can. What I have in mind is something bluegrassey/folksy. EDIT: And I'm not planning to sell records or pollute Grafton St, so I'll be happy with "the best I can do"

So I guess the question is do you already know of a song that tells a similar story? I'm trying to be original, not do a poor copy of something that's already been written.

Thanks!

Listen, don't try and think about what you're writing, if it sounds simular to something else you shouldn't worry, it's not like you meant to. Once you layer the song, things should be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Oink wrote: »
    So I guess the question is do you already know of a song that tells a similar story? I'm trying to be original, not do a poor copy of something that's already been written.

Thanks!

THanks for the encouragement Nailz

@androidz => excellent stuff, thanks for that. That is actually the kinda stuff I was looking for. I think it will help me get in the mood of what I'm trying to write.

Seriously, that's great, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

THanks for the encouragement Nailz

@androidz => excellent stuff, thanks for that. That is actually the kinda stuff I was looking for. I think it will help me get in the mood of what I'm trying to write.

Seriously, that's great, thanks!

You should check out the album it comes from Music from the Big Pink and also their second album The Band. Two essential purchases.

You should check out the album it comes from Music from the Big Pink and also their second album The Band. Two essential purchases.

I'm actually a huge fan, but somehow I never bought any other stuff other than "The Band" and the last waltz. So I did not know this song.

Funny that you point me in that direction, since the Band and Crooked Still are the main reason why my next song is going to be an attempt at folk/bluegrass/whatchamacallit. :D

funny the way you didnt thank me

• Advertisement

Well you were no help. :P

funny the way you didnt thank me
    Thanks for the input guys grungepants.

There. ;)

Advertisement