Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual cat behaviour?

• 03-12-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,
    Has anyone experienced unusual cat behaviour since the start of the snowy weather? On Monday last (start of snow) one cat disappears and turns up two days later, stays a few hours and is off again. Wednesday, second cat ups and does the same.
    Both cats are typical suburban felines. One female, one male, both neutered with unrestricted access food, drink and the outdoors. I am quite sure they are sleeping out in a neighbours house but am puzzled as to why. I know they were quite uncomfortable in the snow but that doesn't really explain this uncharacteristic behaviour. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Would a neighbour be feeling sorry for them and be taking them in and feeding them not thinking they belong to someone, or knowing they belong to someone and taking them in anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I'm reasonably sure they are in with a neighbour but I don't know the reason why. It's pretty weird taking in two cats that belong to other people and that are obviously well cared for!!!! As for the cats packing their bags......well it just gets more odd by the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Neighbours house warmer than yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm reasonably sure they are in with a neighbour but I don't know the reason why. It's pretty weird taking in two cats that belong to other people and that are obviously well cared for!!!! As for the cats packing their bags......well it just gets more odd by the hour.

Some people seem to think cats are pets which can be shared, they see nothing wrong with taking a cat into their house knowing full well that it belongs to someone else who may be out frantically searching for it when in reality it's probably stealing/catknapping! To be fair I would probably do the same if I believed the cat was being neglected but not if I knew it had a home which loved and cared for it.

Have you collars on the cats? If not get some quick release collars, (ones with a clip that opens easily if it gets caught on something), just to show that the cat actually belongs to someone. I have heard of instances where people (with good thoughts/intentions) have taken in cats which they have never seen before and believe them to be lost or dumped cats and have subsequently gone on to rehome them when they already had a home. :( No harm putting a tag on the collar with your number and if you can put a little message such as 'Im on a special diet please don't feed me', just in case the cats have realised they get nicer food from somewhere else. :D

Well I know an extra warm house with platefuls of tasty tuna and a saucer of cream or two would certainly tempt any cat......but not for long in my experience. They usually meander home in a day or two. I've never known one to "leave home" (except in the goodol' days of un-neutered toms who could be away for weeks at a stretch). 'Just seems very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Are you around a bit more than usual due to the weather? It's possible that if you're around at home more than usual and there's a noise difference as a result (tv, dryers), they may just be looking for somewhere quieter, especially where children are concerned.

Hi, well, nothing has changed significantly that might upset them that I can think of. No kids, noise, visitors and that kind of stuff. The cats usually preferred to drink water from puddles etc out the back garden which are now frozen over. I never understood the water bit really but figured they know their own know best. One cat came home yesterday and is acting normally, the other female .....well, will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Its probably a case of the grass is greener...
    Plus they probably view the whole general area including your neighbours as their own personal space..

As I half-expected she was snug and cosy in a neighbours, albeit a bit skittish, most probably spooked by the snow and decided to just stay put until it had all blown over. She's reunited now and appears to be returning to "normal". Many thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.

Advertisement