Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antivirus8

• 03-12-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am infected on my laptop with antivirus8, it blocks me from downloading any type of anti-virus removal tools that I saw on this site, how can I download a tool to get rid of it please help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thanks mp22 it is preventing me from downloading this file how can I get passed it so I can download the file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thanks mp22 it is preventing me from downloading this file how can I get passed it so I can download the file.

You'll need to download it on another computer, and transfer it to a USB stick or CD. Sorry, don't think there is anyway around this (needing access to a clean PC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Storm 10 wrote: »

Have you tried downloading in 'Safe Mode with Networking'?

Also, just out of curiosity, what Antivirus software is/was on your machine and do you know if it was it up-to-date at the time of infection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

bhickey wrote: »
    Have you tried downloading in 'Safe Mode with Networking'?

Also, just out of curiosity, what Antivirus software is/was on your machine and do you know if it was it up-to-date at the time of infection?

For some reason internet explorer wont open in safe mode, I downloaded PC Doctor it found a number of infections but the main problem is still present, I will download Malware and see what happens. I have Protector Plus on my PC it ran out of date this week but was always up to date so I cant understand how it got through.

• Advertisement

If you're having trouble even in Safe Mode then there are several Antivirus Rescue CD's that you can use to boot the computer without Windows and scan for viruses. One that I use a lot is BitDefender. It's a disc image so burn it to a CD and then boot the infected computer from the CD. It'll then download the latest updates and start scanning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hey guys, just have a similar problem myself. A spyware called Antivirus Action has brought my pc to a halt.

Found a few programs but they all seem to be free scan and then have to pay 25e to actually remove the damn thing

Any programs out there that do it for free?

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Any programs out there that do it for free?

There's no magic wand and it will take you a bit of work but follow the instructions here and let us know how you get on. The hosts file bit from Step 18 is particularly important so don't skip it.

What antivirus software have you running on your computer and do you think it was up-to-date at the time of infection?

There's no magic wand and it will take you a bit of work but follow the instructions here and let us know how you get on. The hosts file bit from Step 18 is particularly important so don't skip it.

What antivirus software have you running on your computer and do you think it was up-to-date at the time of infection?

Im willing to do anything to fix it. Its preventing me from doing anything, lucky firefox is still working! Will give that a go now and let ye know what happens.

Running Avira AntiVir. Has the latest update that was done just a few days ago.

Just after rebooting and all was successful, Cheers!

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Just after rebooting and all was successful, Cheers!

Good stuff. Have you any idea how/where you might have got the Antivirus8 in the first place?

Good stuff. Have you any idea how/where you might have got the Antivirus8 in the first place?

Was looking at demotivational pictures on Google images and next thing I know a java installer popped up and thats when it all started happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

quick way to fix it

boot into safe mode

run a search to find the av8.exe

delete this file (proper delete - delete from recycle bin)

disable system restore on all drives.

reboot into standard mode - with that av8.exe file deleted and system restore disabled it cant load itself - you should now be able to access your real antivirus software... update it

run your antivirus software to remove the rest of it from your registry.

Advertisement